UEP Subang Jaya
|UEP Subang Jaya|
|• Administered by||Subang Jaya Municipal Council|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+8)|
UEP (United Estate Projects) Subang Jaya (commonly called "USJ") is a major affluent residential township located in Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. It is located within the Mukim (sub-district) of Damansara, district of Petaling and the state of Selangor.
The construction of USJ started in 1988 after the completion of Subang Jaya which consists of SS12 to SS19 that was started in 1974. Almost 80% of USJ was developed by Sime UEP. USJ is under the jurisdiction of Subang Jaya Municipality Council since 1997. The first batch of residential communities were ready circa early 1990s. Since then, USJ has expanded into 27 sections, i.e. USJ 1 to USJ 27. In addition to that, there are USJ 3A-3D, USJ Heights and Subang Heights located on the west side of the township. Most of the areas in USJ are sitting on a freehold-title land tenure except USJ 1, the bungalow section of USJ 3D known as USJ Avenue, and a guarded fence-less neighborhood in USJ 17 called Restrees.
In the late 1990s, many new developments were growing rapidly in USJ. However, due to the economic crisis in 1997, it resulted in three large abandoned high-rise projects which are in USJ 1, USJ 19, and USJ 21. By 2010, these abandoned projects had been revived and completed construction. In recent years, there are plenty of mixed commercial developments around the township to cater the highly affluent population.
USJ is covered under N31 Subang Jaya (which includes SS12-19, USJ 1-15 and PJS 7, 9, 11) in the Selangor State Assembly. The State Assemblyman (Ahli Dewan Undangan Negeri, ADUN) is Democratic Action Party (DAP)'s Hannah Yeoh Tseow Suan (Ms) who took over the seat from Barisan Nasional-MCA (BN)'s Datuk Lee Hwa Beng since 8 March 2008.
In the Parliament, USJ is under the P104 Kelana Jaya constituency. The current Member of Parliament (MP) is Wong Chen of Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) who replaced Loh Gwo Burne in 2013. Tan Sri KS Nijhar of BN-MIC was MP from 2004 to 2008.
Shopping, Leisure, Hotels and Entertainment
The main commercial hubs in USJ are USJ Taipan Business Centre and Subang Business Centre respectively. USJ Taipan is the township's central business area and it is a very popular commercial area in the Klang Valley. Almost all major banks have an office branch in the area. There are numerous cafes and restaurants ranging from alfresco dining, fine dining, modern contemporary to fusion Asian-Western food, fast food, etc.
There is a wide variety of shopping malls situated within the township. In USJ 1, there are malls such as Da Men, The Summit and hypermarkets, Giant and Mydin. Da Men and The Summit are two popular landmarks of the township. In USJ 21, there is a shopping mall called The Main Place. It consists of a high-rise serviced residence above the shopping mall.
Opposite of The Main Place is an integrated development, One City, at USJ 25. It consists of office suites, shopping malls, a cinema, a hotel and high-rise studio apartments. For alternate shopping options, there are Empire Subang, Subang Parade, Sunway Pyramid, Paradigm Mall, Citta Mall, Oasis Ara Damansara, IOI Puchong, and Aeon Shah Alam located within a 5 km radius.
The oldest and most well known hotel in USJ is the 3-star Summit Hotel adjoining The Summit shopping mall, which consists of 332 guest rooms. On the south side of the township in One City, there is a 4-star business class hotel, eCity Hotel, which consists of 243 guest rooms. For budget hotels, there are plenty of other alternatives within the township. Alternatively, there are many other hotels located in adjacent Subang Jaya.
The industrial areas in USJ are in USJ 1 through USJ 8 and USJ 19, i.e. Ultramine and Sungai Penaga Industrial Park, Subang Industrial Park and Sime UEP Industrial Park near USJ 3, involving in light and heavy industry. The Malaysia headquarters of PROTON (Centre of Excellence), Lotus Cars, Faber-Castell and many other major international companies are located in UEP Industrial Park. The Proton Headquarters in USJ is connected to its Shah Alam manufacturing plant and test track through a private tunnel.
In 1999, Faber Castell established its Malaysia headquarters in UEP Industrial Park. The World's Longest Pencil, Castell 9000, could be found in the Malaysia headquarters of Faber-Castell.
- Sime UEP Industrial Park
- Subang Hi-Tech Industrial Park
- Subang Industrial Park USJ 1
- USJ 1 Industrial Park
- Ultramine Industrial Park
USJ is home to many government, private and international schools. In the township, education is available from primary right up to tertiary level. Sekolah Wawasan school located in USJ was opened in 1999 with commitments as a "Vision" government school. It is one of the only 3 "Vision" schools in the country.
- At-Tamimi Islamic International School
- Fairview International School
- Kingsley International School
- Sri Kuala Lumpur
- Sekolah Wawasan USJ 15
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Dato Onn Jaafar
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Tun Tan Cheng Lock
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Tun Tan Siew Sin
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Chee Wen
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Tamil) Tun Sambathan
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Seafield 3
- Sekolah Kebangsaan USJ 12
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Seafield (USJ 6)
- Sekolah Kebangsaan USJ 2
- Sekolah Kebangsaan USJ 20
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Selangor USJ 4
- Sekolah SJK (C) Lick Hung SS19
- Sunway International School
- UCSI International School
- Kingsley International School
- Fairview International School (Sime UEP Industrial Park)
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Seafield (USJ 2)
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan USJ 8
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan USJ 12
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan USJ 13
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan USJ 23
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan USJ 4
- Sekolah Agama Menengah Bestari USJ 5
- Sirius Scholar Study Skills (USJ Sentral)
- Sunway International School
- Sri Kuala Lumpur
- UCSI International School
- SEGi University College
- Cilantro Culinary Academy
- Sunway University College
- Monash University Malaysia
- INTI International College
- Taylor's College
- Taylor's Lakeside University
- The One Academy
- Kolej CQ-TEC
- Kasturi International College
USJ is a township well-served with many medical facilities. There are plenty of health clinics sprawling within various commercial and residential areas.
The main private hospitals serving the township are Sime Darby Medical Centre Subang Jaya in SS12 and Sunway Medical Centre in Bandar Sunway where there are world-class medical facilities. Alternatively, there is a smaller medical centre at the Subang Business Centre USJ 9, namely the QHC Medical Centre.
Sports and Recreation
The Subang Jaya Municipal Council Sports Complex in USJ 5 has a football turf, an athletic running track compliant to international standards, grandstand to accommodate 800 spectators and floodlights for night games. For indoor soccer, there are a few indoor futsal courts such as Sportsplanet, Ferro Futsal and HTO de futsal. Also, there are many badminton, squash and tennis centres scattering around the township. At the USJ rest station of the North South (ELITE) Highway, there is the Speedway Plus Go-Kart Circuit for leisure and professional driving.
Golfers could enjoy the green in the Subang Racquet and Golf Club, Subang National Golf Club Glenmarie Golf & Country Club or Saujana Golf and Country Club. There are many fitness centres around USJ and Subang Jaya such as True Fitness, Fitness First, Celebrity Fitness, etc. In every residential neighborhoods, there are landscaped parks, recreational fields, basketball courts, jogging tracks and children's playgrounds.
USJ has grown rapidly in recent years, but has paid a price in terms of traffic jams and a shortage of parking places. Currently, there are three large mega commercial projects under development in USJ. They are Da Men, Empire Remix and Tropicana Metropark. These developments are set to change the landscape of the affluent township.
Da Men and Empire Remix are located in USJ 1. Da Men is a mixed commercial development sprawling over 8.6 acres of prime land comprising two blocks of serviced apartments, retail lots and a 6-storey shopping podium. On the other hand, Empire Remix is also a mixed commercial development which consists of a few office buildings, serviced apartments and a large shopping mall.
Tropicana Metropark is an upcoming new 88.5 acre development comprising more than 10 high-rise buildings which include office suites, SOHO, office towers, business suites, townhouses, shopfronts and shopping malls. It is situated near the posh neighborhoods of USJ Heights and Subang Heights. A new access from Federal Highway will be completed by 2016 to improve the traffic flow around the area. On top of that, Bandar Raya Developments Bhd (BRDB) is developing a RM2 billion 24 acres of integrated mixed development around the same area.
Many major highways lead to and out of USJ. Some of these expressways are Federal Highway, New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE), North-South Expressway Central Link (ELITE), Shah Alam Expressway (KESAS), Damansara-Puchong Expressway (LDP) and New Pantai Expressway (NPE). It is only a mere 15 minutes drive to the Kuala Lumpur city centre by using the New Pantai Expressway (NPE) through SMART Tunnel.
Most of the road systems in USJ are made of three lanes dual carriageway connecting to smaller roads. The major gridlock of traffic normally occurs at the junction between KESAS highway and Persiaran Kewajipan. However, two new U-turn ramps have been built to improve the traffic gridlock at this KESAS-Kewajipan junction.
In terms of public transportation, there are buses, taxis, elevated bus rapid transit (BRT), and public light-rail transit (LRT) trains serving around the township. RapidKL and Metro Bus both have buses plying between Subang Jaya, USJ and Putra Heights. RapidKL bus number BET3, U67 and U63, and Metro bus number 10 and 13 are some of the buses that connect Kuala Lumpur to and from the township.
The BRT Sunway Line in the township provides an integrated transit service which connects between Bandar Sunway and USJ without any traffic congestion. In total, there are two main BRT stations serving the township. The USJ 7 station is an interchange to the Rapid KL's LRT Kelana Jaya Line.
LRT Extension Development
The Kelana Jaya Line will be extended from the existing route from Kelana Jaya LRT Depot, passing through Lembah Subang (one station near the NZX commercial centre, another near Dana 1 commercial centre)in Kelana Jaya, to Kelana Centre Point, then to Subang Parade (interfaced with KTM Subang Jaya Komuter station), to Subang Jaya (3 stations), then connect to The Summit at USJ 1, to USJ 6 near USJ Taipan, then to USJ 15 Wawasan and USJ 21. The main station is located at Putra Heights, which will eventually be connected to the Ampang Line to Sri Petaling. However, due to different system of coaches used, commuters would have to change coach at the Putra Heights LRT Station if they wish to continue their journey in this direction.
- Achariam, Noel. "MPSJ Aims for Zero Stalled Projects." New Straits Time. New Straits Time, 12 July 2013. Web. 14 May 2014.
- Poo, Cheryl. "Bina Puri Completes RM291mil Project, Thrice-abandoned Building Ready for Occupancy - Business News | The Star Online." Bina Puri Completes RM291mil Project, Thrice-abandoned Building Ready for Occupancy - Business News | The Star Online. The Star, 27 Mar. 2014. Web. 14 May 2014.
- Abdullah, Zuraimi. "Faber-Castell 'a Very Satisfied' with Malaysian Subsidiary." Faber-Castell 'a Very Satisfied' with Malaysian Subsidiary. New Straits Time, 30 Sept. 1999. Web. 14 May 2014.
- Lim, Chia Ying. "Archives | The Star Online." Mixed Development Project to Spur Growth in USJ. The Star, 30 June 2011. Web. 14 May 2014.
- "Tropicana Corp Launches RM6.3b Tropicana Metropark in Subang Jaya - Business News | The Star Online." Tropicana Corp Launches RM6.3b Tropicana Metropark in Subang Jaya - Business News | The Star Online. The Star, 31 May 2013. Web. 14 May 2014.
- "Flyover Project Connecting to Federal Highway Expected to Be Ready in 2016 - Community | The Star Online." Flyover Project Connecting to Federal Highway Expected to Be Ready in 2016 - Community | The Star Online. The Star, 18 Apr. 2014. Web. 14 May 2014.
- "Archives | The Star Online." BRDB Aims to Deliver RM1bil in Property Sales Annually. The Star, 24 Sept. 2011. Web. 14 May 2014.
||Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur|
|Putra Heights and Kuala Lumpur International Airport|