UFC: Fight for the Troops 2
|UFC: Fight for the Troops 2|
A poster or logo for UFC: Fight for the Troops 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 22, 2011|
UFC: Fight for the Troops 2 (also known as UFC Fight Night 23) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on January 22, 2011 at Fort Hood, near Killeen, Texas. The event was the third that the UFC has hosted in cooperation with a US military base, following UFC Fight Night 7 and UFC: Fight for the Troops.
The bout between Kenny Florian and Evan Dunham was expected for UFC 126, but was moved to this card to serve as the main event. On December 6, however, Florian pulled out of the bout due to a knee injury. Melvin Guillard was pulled from a planned preliminary bout with Yves Edwards and faced Dunham in the main event. Edwards instead faced TUF 12 alumnus Cody McKenzie.
On December 30, 2010, a bout between Mike Swick and David Mitchell was called off due to Mitchell suffering an injury and Swick dealing with his Esophageal Condition. A late replacement fight between Will Campuzano and Chris Cariaso was signed.
On January 11, 2011, Dana White announced that if Mark Hominick defeated George Roop at this event, he would become the top contender for the UFC Featherweight Championship and would face champion Jose Aldo at UFC 129.
On January 18, Dana White announced that the UFC would be streaming the McKenzie/Edwards and Johnson/Guymon fights for free on their official Facebook page. However, on the night of the fights, UFC.com officials announced that four prelims would show, adding the Freire/Lowe and Brown/Yahya fights.
|Lightweight||Melvin Guillard||def.||Evan Dunham||TKO (knees)||1||2:58|
|Heavyweight||Matt Mitrione||def.||Tim Hague||TKO (punches)||1||2:59|
|Featherweight||Mark Hominick||def.||George Roop||TKO (punches)||1||1:28||[a]|
|Heavyweight||Pat Barry||def.||Joey Beltran||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Matt Wiman||def.||Cole Miller||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Yves Edwards||def.||Cody McKenzie||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||4:33||[b]|
|Welterweight||DaMarques Johnson||def.||Mike Guymon||Verbal Submission (body triangle)||1||3:22||[c]|
|Featherweight||Rani Yahya||def.||Mike Brown||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00||[d]|
|Lightweight||Waylon Lowe||def.||Willamy Freire||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Charlie Brenneman||def.||Amilcar Alves||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Chris Cariaso||def.||Will Campuzano||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- UFC Featherweight Championship title eliminator for Hominick
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Johnson vs Guymon bout.
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Barry vs Beltran bout.
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Hominick vs Roop bout.
Fighters were awarded $30,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Yves Edwards vs. Cody McKenzie
- Knockout of the Night: Melvin Guillard
- Submission of the Night: Yves Edwards
- "UFC Fight Night 23 "Troops 2" show draws estimated attendance of 3,200". mmajunkie.com. January 24, 2011.
- "UFC: Fight for the Troops 2". ufc.com. November 11, 2010.
- "Florian-Dunham Headlines "Fight for the Troops"". ufc.com. November 11, 2010.
- "Kenny Florian Injured, Melvin Guillard To Face Evan Dunham". Heavy.com. December 6, 2010.
- "Replacement Cody McKenzie meets Yves Edwards at UFC Fight Night 23". mmajunkie.com. December 7, 2010.
- "David Mitchell Out of UFC Fight For The Troops; Mike Swick Off The Card". mmaweekly.com. December 30, 2010.
- "Will Campuzano meets Chris Cariaso at UFC Fight Night 23". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2011.
- "Miller vs. Wiman, Freire vs. Lowe official for UFC Fight Night 23".
- "Rani Yahya vs. "Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung at UFC Fight for the Troops 2". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- ""Korean Zombie" forced out of UFC Fight Night 23; Yahya awaiting replacement". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Brown Replaces Jung Against Yahya at UFC 'Fight for the Troops 2'". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Hominick gets Featherweight Title shot with win over Roop at UFC Fight Night 23". mmajunkie.com. January 11, 2011.
- "UFC Fight Night 23 "Troops 2" prelims stream for free on Facebook". mmajunkie.com. January 18, 2011.
- "Two Bouts Added to Facebook Prelims". UFC.com. January 22, 2011.
- "UFC Fight Night 23 bonuses: Guillard, Edwards and McKenzie earn $30K awards". MMAjunkie.com. January 23, 2011.