|UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||September 19, 2009|
|Venue||American Airlines Center|
UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on September 19, 2009 in Dallas, Texas at the American Airlines Center. The event was broadcast on pay-per-view.
This was the first UFC event to air a portion of the preliminary card live and commercial-free during an hour long block on Spike. The Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller, Drew McFedries vs. Tomasz Drwal, Rick Story vs. Brian Foster, and the Jim Miller vs. Steve Lopez fights were shown on Spike.
The event was aired the same time Floyd Mayweather fought Juan Manuel Márquez. Maywather/Márquez drew a smaller crowd (13,116) but its gate was considerably higher at $6,811,300. It also sold more PPV buys (1,000,000).
To date, this PPV had the largest amount of fights broadcast by the UFC (13).
It was announced on July 20, 2009 that Rich Franklin would headline UFC 103 against Dan Henderson. It was then announced on July 31, 2009 that fans were not happy with the announced headliner of Henderson-Franklin 2 so they changed the main event to feature Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort. "Fans didn't like it, so we changed it," UFC President Dana White said.
|Main card (PPV)|
|Catchweight (195 lbs)||Vitor Belfort||def.||Rich Franklin||KO (punches)||1||3:02|
|Heavyweight||Junior dos Santos||def.||Mirko Filipović||Verbal Submission (eye injury)||3||2:00|
|Welterweight||Paul Daley||def.||Martin Kampmann||TKO (punches)||1||2:31|
|Welterweight||Josh Koscheck||def.||Frank Trigg||TKO (punches)||1||1:25|
|Catchweight (159 lbs)||Tyson Griffin||def.||Hermes Franca||KO (punches)||2||3:24|
|Televised (Spike TV)|
|Lightweight||Efrain Escudero||def.||Cole Miller||TKO (punches)||1||3:36|
|Middleweight||Tomasz Drwal||def.||Drew McFedries||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||1:03|
|Lightweight||Jim Miller||def.||Steve Lopez||TKO (shoulder injury)||2||0:48||[a]|
|Lightweight||Nik Lentz||def.||Rafaello Oliveira||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Welterweight||Rick Story||def.||Brian Foster||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||1:09||[c]|
|Light Heavyweight||Eliot Marshall||def.||Jason Brilz||Decision (split) (28–30, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Vladimir Matyushenko||def.||Igor Pokrajac||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Rafael dos Anjos||def.||Rob Emerson||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00||[d]|
- This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Escudero vs. Miller fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Franklin vs. Belfort fight.
- This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the McFedries vs. Drwal fight. This bout also aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Oliveira vs. Lentz fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Kampmann vs. Daley fight.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Rick Story vs. Brian Foster
- Knockout of the Night: Vitor Belfort
- Submission of the Night: Rick Story
- "UFC 103 in Dallas a sellout with 17,428 attendees, $2.4 million estimate gate". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved September 20, 2009.
- "UFC 103". Ufc.com. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- "SPIKE TV TO TELECAST LIVE UNDERCARD BOUTS FOR THE FIRST TIME". Ufc.com. Retrieved August 21, 2009.
- Cofield, Steve (August 31, 2009). "UFC/ESPN regionalize U.K. broadcasts: Daley fight a special feature at UFC 103. – Cagewriter – MMA – Yahoo! Sports". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved September 20, 2009.
- "Henderson-Franklin II to Headline UFC 103". Ufc.com. July 31, 2009. Retrieved July 31, 2009.
- "Aaron Simpson and Steve Steinbeiss Added to UFC 103". MMAFrenzy.com. Retrieved May 17, 2009.
- "STEINBEISS VS. JENSEN SET FOR UFC FIGHT NIGHT 19". Mma Weekly. Retrieved July 9, 2009.
- "Aaron Simpson vs. Ed Herman middleweight bout slotted for UFC Fight Night 19". Mma Junkie. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- "Matt Wiman vs. Rafael dos Anjos Booked for UFC 103". MMAFrenzy.com. January 2, 2009. Retrieved July 10, 2009.
- Morgan, John. "Injury forces Matt Wiman out of UFC 103, Rob Emerson expected to face Rafael dos Anjos". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved July 24, 2009.
- Morgan, John. "Thiago Tavares suffers knee injury, forced to withdraw from UFC 103 bout with Jim Miller". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved August 20, 2009.
- Morgan, John. "Jim Miller to face UFC newcomer Steve Lopez on UFC 103 preliminary card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved August 21, 2009.
- "Dan Lauzon Out of UFC 103 Fight Against Rafaello Oliveira With Back Injury". MMAFrenzy.com. January 2, 2009. Retrieved August 24, 2009.
- "Nik Lentz Replaces Dan Lauzon, Fights Rafaello Oliveira at UFC 103". MMAFrenzy.com. January 2, 2009. Retrieved August 26, 2009.
- Gilbert, Mark (September 4, 2009). "Mike Swick injured, out of UFC 103, Paul Daley will face Martin Kampmann instead | The Sun |Sport|UFC". The Sun. Retrieved September 20, 2009.
- "UFC 103 fighter bonuses: Vitor Belfort, Rick Story, Brian Foster earn $65K awards". MMAjunkie. Retrieved September 20, 2009.