|UFC 11: The Proving Ground|
A poster or logo for UFC 11: The Proving Ground.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||September 20, 1996|
|Venue||Augusta Civic Center|
UFC 11: The Proving Ground was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on September 20, 1996, at the Augusta Civic Center in Augusta, Georgia. The event was broadcast live on pay-per-view in the United States, and later released on home video.
The card featured an eight-man tournament, as well as two alternate bouts in case of an injury, and to fill time for the pay-per-view broadcast.
Due to multiple injuries and fatigue, no alternates were able to continue after their semifinal matches.
Roberto Travern had a broken hand after his alternate match and the championship was won by forfeit.
Rich Goins returned as the ring announcer.
The event with only a buyrate of 92,000 was one of the least purchased UFC events.
This was the first and only UFC tournament to end by default.
Due to Mark Coleman winning by default and the vast amount of short matches the PPV has been called "Incomplete" and "disorganised" by viewers.
|N/A||Mark Coleman||def.||Brian Johnston||Submission (strikes)||2:20|
|N/A||Scott Ferrozzo||def.||Tank Abbott||Unanimous decision||18:00||[b]|
|N/A||Mark Coleman||def.||Julian Sanchez||Submission (scarf hold choke)||0:45|
|N/A||Brian Johnston||def.||Reza Nasri||TKO (strikes)||0:28|
|N/A||Tank Abbott||def.||Sam Adkins||Submission (forearm choke)||2:06|
|N/A||Jerry Bohlander||def.||Fabio Gurgel||Unanimous decision||15:00|
|N/A||Scott Ferrozzo||def.||Sam Fulton||Submission (strikes)||1:45|
|N/A||Roberto Traven||def.||Dave Berry||Submission (strikes)||1:23||[c]|
- With Scott Ferrozzo injured, and all alternates injured or unable to continue, Mark Coleman wins the UFC 11 Tournament by default.
- Ferrozzo replaced Bohlander, who was unable to continue in the tournament. Due to fatigue and a cut above his eye, Ferrozzo was unable to continue in the tournament.
- Traven was injured, and unable to continue as an alternate for the tournament.
UFC 11 bracket
|Mark Coleman 2||FORFEIT|
|Scott Ferrozzo 1||18:00|
- "Igor Vovchanchyn". tapology.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "M-1 Exclusive: Igor Vovchanchyn Interview Part II". m1global.tv. Retrieved 19 February 2016.