|UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin|
A poster or logo for UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 3, 2010|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on July 3, 2010 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show was voted as the Best Major Show in the 2010 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards, the first time a UFC show won the award. This was the third-best selling pay-per-view in UFC history behind UFC 194.
Shane Carwin, who won the Interim Heavyweight Championship by defeating Frank Mir at UFC 111, faced current heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar. The two were originally set to face each other at UFC 106, then UFC 108, before Carwin won the interim heavyweight championship, but Lesnar pulled out of the fight both times due to an illness (diverticulitis) that kept him from training.
Jacob Volkmann was scheduled to fight Paul Kelly as one of the preliminary fights, but Kelly reportedly had to pull out of the July 3 fight due to visa issues. The bout was rescheduled for UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko the next month.
Also, UFC newcomer Ricardo Romero was scheduled to fight Steve Cantwell after Cantwell's recent medical ban ended. However, the fight was cancelled for unknown reasons and Cantwell was replaced by UFC returnee Seth Petruzelli.
On June 22, 2010, Wanderlei Silva had to withdraw from his co-main event fight against Yoshihiro Akiyama due to three broken ribs and an injured right knee. Akiyama was then matched against Chris Leben.
The bout between Kendall Grove and Goran Reljic was originally slated for the live prelims show on Spike TV. However, it was later demoted and replaced by Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero because of Grove's criticism of the Spike TV network and The Ultimate Fighter television show.
UFC 116 won Best Major Show in the 2010 Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards.
|Heavyweight||Brock Lesnar (c)||def.||Shane Carwin (ic)||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||2:19||[a]|
|Middleweight||Chris Leben||def.||Yoshihiro Akiyama||Submission (triangle choke)||3||4:40|
|Welterweight||Chris Lytle||def.||Matt Brown||Submission (inverted triangle-straight armbar)||2||2:02|
|Light Heavyweight||Stephan Bonnar||def.||Krzysztof Soszynski||TKO (knee and punches)||2||3:08|
|Lightweight||George Sotiropoulos||def.||Kurt Pellegrino||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Brendan Schaub||def.||Chris Tuchscherer||KO (punches)||1||1:07|
|Light Heavyweight||Ricardo Romero||def.||Seth Petruzelli||Submission (armbar)||2||3:05|
|Middleweight||Kendall Grove||def.||Goran Reljic||Decision (split) (30–27, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Middleweight||Gerald Harris||def.||David Branch||KO (slam)||3||2:35||[c]|
|Welterweight||Daniel Roberts||def.||Forrest Petz||Decision (split) (29–28, 29–28, 28–29)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Jon Madsen||def.||Karlos Vemola||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
- For the Heavyweight Championship.
- This bout aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Lesnar vs. Carwin fight.
- This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Schaub vs. Tuchscherer fight.
Fighters were awarded $75,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Stephan Bonnar and Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
- Knockout of the Night: Gerald Harris
- Submission of the Night: Brock Lesnar
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Brock Lesnar $400,000 (no win bonus) def. Shane Carwin ($40,000)
- Chris Leben $86,000 ($43,000 win bonus) def. Yoshihiro Akiyama ($45,000)
- Chris Lytle $52,000 ($26,000 win bonus) def. Matt Brown ($10,000)
- Stephan Bonnar $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus) def. Krzysztof Soszynski ($10,000)
- George Sotiropoulos $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Kurt Pellegrino ($25,000)
- Brendan Schaub $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Chris Tuchscherer ($12,000)
- Ricardo Romero $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Seth Petruzelli ($10,000)
- Kendall Grove $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus) def. Goran Reljic ($5,000)
- Gerald Harris $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Dave Branch($6,000)
- Daniel Roberts $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Forrest Petz ($6,000)
- Jon Madsen $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Karlos Vemola ($8,000)
- "UFC 116: LESNAR vs. CARWIN". ufc.com. May 4, 2010.
- "ROY NELSON VS CHEICK KONGO AT UFC 116- MMA WEEKLY – Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. Archived from the original on May 10, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "Exclusive – Cheick Kongo: injured, no confirmation on Roy Nelson matchup nor UFC 116 return". Riddum.com. April 30, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos in the works for UFC 117 main card". MMAjunkie.com. May 10, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "NATE MARQUARDT VS. ALESSIO SAKARA AT UFC 116- MMA WEEKLY – Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. Archived from the original on May 10, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- Holland, Jesse. "Report: Alessio Sakara withdraws from UFC 116 fight with Nate Marquardt". MMA Mania. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "Twitter / Jacob Volkmann: I will not be fighting July 3rd in Vegas because the stupid brit did not get his visa in time. I will kill him Aug 3rd.". Twitter.com. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- "Ricardo Romero vs. Steve Cantwell In The Works For UFC 116". heavy.com. June 3, 2010.
- Marrocco, Steven (June 4, 2010). "Seth Petruzelli rejoins UFC, meets Ricardo Romero on UFC 116 preliminary card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- "Forrest Petz replaces injured Julio Paulino, meets Daniel Roberts at UFC 116". MMAjunkie.
- Ariel Helwani. "Wanderlei Silva Off UFC 116". MMA Fighting.
- "Grove vs. Reljic demoted, Petruzelli vs. Romero promoted to UFC 116's "UFC Prelims"". MMAjunkie.
- "UFC's White confirms Velasquez fights UFC 116's Lesnar vs. Carwin winner". MMAjunkie.
- Staff (July 6, 2010). "UFC 116 fighters salaries: Brock Lesnar leads $923K payroll". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "UFC 116 fighters salaries: Brock Lesnar leads $923K payroll". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 6, 2010.