|UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2|
The poster for UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 28, 2010|
UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2 was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 28, 2010 at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The third UFC Fan Expo coincided with the event.  This event was the first the UFC held in Massachusetts.
Nate Marquardt and Alessio Sakara were originally set to face each other at UFC 116, but the fight was cancelled due to the death of Sakara's father. On July 23, Sakara's original opponent, Jorge Rivera suffered a broken arm in training and was replaced by Gerald Harris. On August 5, Sakara (who was back on the card) then bowed out due to an unknown injury and was replaced by Joe Vedepo. On August 18, it was announced that the Harris/Vedepo bout had been scrapped altogether.
A bout between Nate Marquardt and Rousimar Palhares was moved to UFC Fight Night 22 and promoted to the new main event. The original Fight Night main event was scheduled to be Demian Maia vs. Alan Belcher, however, Belcher had to withdraw due to an injured retina. As a result of this, Maia was moved to this card and fought Mario Miranda.
The event featured the second MMA appearance of a professional boxer with three-time world champion James Toney. The debut of a professional boxer took place at UFC 1 when Art Jimmerson lost to Royce Gracie by submission.
On August 5, it was announced that Terry Etim had suffered a broken rib in training and was pulling out of his bout with Joe Lauzon. Etim was replaced by former UFC and TUF veteran Gabe Ruediger. 
|Lightweight||Frankie Edgar (c)||def||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous) (50–45, 50–45, 50–45)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Heavyweight||Randy Couture||def||James Toney||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||1||3:19|
|Middleweight||Demian Maia||def||Mario Miranda||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Gray Maynard||def||Kenny Florian||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Nate Diaz||def||Marcus Davis||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||3||4:02|
|Lightweight||Joe Lauzon||def||Gabe Ruediger||Submission (armbar)||1||2:01|
|Lightweight||Nik Lentz||def||Andre Winner||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Dan Miller||def||John Salter||Submission (anaconda choke)||2||1:53|
|Welterweight||Greg Soto||def||Nick Osipczak||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Pierce||def||Amilcar Alves||Submission (cross-body armbar)||3||3:11|
- For the Lightweight Championship.
Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis
- Knockout of the Night: Not awarded as no matches ended by knockout.
- Submission of the Night: Joe Lauzon
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Frankie Edgar $96,000 (includes $48,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn $150,000
- Randy Couture $250,000 (no win bonus) def. James Toney $500,000
- Demian Maia $68,000 ($34,000 win bonus) def. Mario Miranda $8,000
- Gray Maynard $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus) def. Kenny Florian $65,000
- Nate Diaz $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Marcus Davis $31,000
- Joe Lauzon $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Gabe Ruediger $8,000
- Nik Lentz $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus) def. Andre Winner $10,000
- Dan Miller $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. John Salter $8,000
- Greg Soto $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Nick Osipczak $10,000
- Mike Pierce $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Amilcar Alves $6,000
- "MSAC: UFC 118 draws 14,168 spectators for $2.8 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. 2010-09-02.
- "With Preliminary Estimates for UFC 118 Showing Weak Pay Per View Numbers, How Will They Market Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard?". Bloody Elbow.
- "UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2". ufc.com. June 17, 2010.
- "UFC's third-ever UFC Fan Expo to coincide with August's UFC 118 in Boston". Yahoo!.
- "Jorge Rivera pulls out of 118 with a broken arm". mmajunkie.com. July 23, 2010. Archived from the original on July 12, 2012.
- "Joe Vedepo replaces Alessio Sakara, faces Gerald Harris at UFC 118". MMAjunkie. Archived from the original on 2010-08-17.
- "UFC 118 fight card complete with 10 bous; Harris vs. Vedepo off preliminary card". mmajunkie.com. August 18, 2010. Archived from the original on August 20, 2010.
- "Nate Marquardt vs. Rousimar Palhares". mmajunkie.com. August 2, 2010.
- "Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda on tap for UFC 118 in August". mmajunkie.com. August 3, 2010.
- ""TUF 5" vet Gabe Ruediger replaces Terry Etim, faces Joe Lauzon at UFC 118". MMAjunkie. Archived from the original on 2010-08-17.
- "Phil Baroni off UFC 118 card due to collarbone injury". mmajunkie.com. July 27, 2010. Archived from the original on July 30, 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "UFC 118's Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard winner guaranteed lightweight title shot". MMAjunkie.
- "UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2 Post-Fight Press Conference". bloodyelbow.com. August 29, 2010.
- "UFC 118 salaries: Toney ($500K), Couture ($250K) top $1.428 million fighter payroll". mmajunkie.com. September 2, 2010.