|UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2|
The poster for UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 28, 2013|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
The event was headlined by a Middleweight Championship rematch between the champion Chris Weidman and former champion Anderson Silva. The two previously met at UFC 162, with Weidman winning via KO in the second round, earning the title.
Co-featured was a Women's Bantamweight Championship bout between the current champion Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate. The two met before under the Strikeforce banner in 2012 with Rousey winning via first round submission. This served as the coaches bout for The Ultimate Fighter 18.
Initially, it was announced that Rousey would face top contender Cat Zingano at this event, after Zingano defeated Tate at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. However, Zingano was pulled from the bout, and subsequently as coach for The Ultimate Fighter, after it was announced that she had suffered a knee injury and would be sidelined for several months. Tate was tabbed as the replacement and the rematch with Rousey was announced.
Shane del Rosario was expected to face Guto Inocente at the event, but both men pulled out of the bout, citing injuries. On November 26, 2013, del Rosario had two sudden heart attacks and died on December 9, 2013.
|Middleweight||Chris Weidman (c)||def.||Anderson Silva||TKO (broken leg)||2||1:16||[a]|
|Women's Bantamweight||Ronda Rousey (c)||def.||Miesha Tate||Submission (armbar)||3||0:58||[b]|
|Heavyweight||Travis Browne||def.||Josh Barnett||KO (elbows)||1||1:00|
|Lightweight||Jim Miller||def.||Fabrício Camões||Submission (armbar)||1||3:42|
|Catchweight (151.5 lb)||Dustin Poirier||def.||Diego Brandao||TKO (punches)||1||4:54|
|Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Middleweight||Uriah Hall||def.||Chris Leben||TKO (retirement)||1||5:00||[c]|
|Lightweight||Michael Johnson||def.||Gleison Tibau||KO (punches)||2||1:32||[d]|
|Featherweight||Dennis Siver||vs.||Manvel Gamburyan||No Contest (overturned)||3||5:00||[e]|
|Welterweight||John Howard||def.||Siyar Bahadurzada||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Online)|
|Welterweight||William Macário||def.||Bobby Voelker||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Robbie Peralta||def.||Estevan Payan||KO (punches)||3||0:12|
- For the UFC Middleweight Championship.
- For the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship.
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Browne vs Barnett bout.
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Miller vs Camoes bout.
- Originally ruled a unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28) victory for Siver , the result was changed to "No Contest" after Siver tested positive for a banned substance during a post fight screening.
The following fighters were awarded $75,000 bonuses.
- Fight of The Night: Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate
- Knockout of The Night: Travis Browne
- Submission of the Night: Ronda Rousey
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Chris Weidman: $500,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. Anderson Silva: $600,000
- Ronda Rousey: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus) def. Miesha Tate: $28,000
- Travis Browne: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus) def. Josh Barnett: $170,000
- Jim Miller: $92,000 (includes $46,000 win bonus) def. Fabricio Camoes: $8,000
- Dustin Poirier: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus) def. Diego Brandao: $20,000^
- Uriah Hall: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Chris Leben: $51,000
- Michael Johnson: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Gleison Tibau: $39,000
- Dennis Siver: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Manvel Gamburyan: $25,000
- John Howard: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Siyar Bahadurzada: $17,000
- William Macario: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Bobby Voelker: $12,000
- Robert Peralta: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Estevan Payan: $10,000
^ Although not recognized on the official pay sheet, Brandao was fined 25% of his base pay ($5,000) for missing weight for the fight, half of that money went to NSAC and half to Poirier.
- Erickson, Matt (December 29, 2013). "UFC 168 draws reported 15,650 attendance for $6.2 million live gate". Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- MMAjunkie Staff (January 6, 2014). "Final UFC 168 gate ranks second all-time for MMA in Nevada in excess of $6.2 million". Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- "Pay Per View". MMAPayout.com. 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Staff (July 13, 2013). "Weidman vs. Silva rematch heads UFC 168 on Dec. 28, Rousey vs. Tate II co-main". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- Staff (July 2, 2013). "Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate II slated for year-end UFC 168 pay-per-view". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Keith Grienke (March 16, 2013). "Rousey to Coach TUF 18; Men/Women Bantamweights to Compete". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Dave Doyle (April 14, 2013). "TUF 17 Finale Aftermath: Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano will be a monster". mmafighting.com. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- A.J. Perez (May 28, 2013). "Tate replacing Zingano on TUF". msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- Staff (November 22, 2013). "UFC 168 Loses Shane del Rosario vs. Guto Inocente Due to Injuries". uk.eurosport.yahoo.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Tristen Critchfield (November 27, 2013). "Updated: UFC Heavyweight Shane del Rosario in Critical Condition After Suffering Cardiac Arrest". sherdog.com. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Alexander, Mookie (December 27, 2013). "UFC 168: Diego Brandao fined 25% for missing weight, fight with Dustin Poirier still on". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- Staff (April 24, 2014). "UFC's Dennis Siver fined and suspended for failed drug test, win overturned". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- "UFC® 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Matt Erickson. "UFC 168 bonuses: Rousey, Tate, Browne earn $75K, Rousey doubles up". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- Dann Stupp (December 30, 2013). "UFC 168 salaries: Weidman, Silva's paydays lead $1.9 million disclosed payroll". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved December 30, 2013.