|UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso|
The poster for UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||September 27, 2014|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Total gate||$2.2 million|
The event was supposed to be headlined by a UFC Light Heavyweight Championship rematch between champion Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson. Jones won their first fight at UFC 165 by unanimous decision. Gustafsson pulled out of the bout due to a torn right meniscus and lateral collateral ligament. He was replaced by Daniel Cormier on July 23. However, on August 12, Jones was forced to pull out of the bout against Cormier citing a leg injury. The fight was rescheduled to take place at UFC 182. As a result, a Flyweight Title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Chris Cariaso was moved from UFC 177 to headline this card.
The event marked the return of former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, after nearly three years on the sideline, first with a coaching assignment on The Ultimate Fighter 15, then with various lengthy injury rehabilitations. He was paired against Takeya Mizugaki.
A lightweight bout between Donald Cerrone and Khabib Nurmagomedov was briefly linked to this event. The pairing was cancelled after Nurmagomedov suffered a knee injury that sidelined him indefinitely.
Jorge Masvidal and Bobby Green were originally scheduled to face each other on this card. However, on August 14, the UFC announced that Green would now face Donald Cerrone and Masvidal would face James Krause.
On August 19, following his release from Bellator MMA, Eddie Alvarez signed with the UFC and made his debut against Donald Cerrone in the co-main event for the card. Bobby Green, Cerrone's earlier opponent, was booked for a future fight card against a new opponent.
|Flyweight||Demetrious Johnson (c)||def.||Chris Cariaso||Submission (kimura)||2||2:29||[a]|
|Lightweight||Donald Cerrone||def.||Eddie Alvarez||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Conor McGregor||def.||Dustin Poirier||TKO (punches)||1||1:46|
|Middleweight||Yoel Romero||def.||Tim Kennedy||TKO (punches)||3||0:58|
|Women's Bantamweight||Cat Zingano||def.||Amanda Nunes||TKO (elbows and punches)||3||1:21|
|Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Bantamweight||Dominick Cruz||def.||Takeya Mizugaki||KO (punches)||1||1:01||[b]|
|Lightweight||Jorge Masvidal||def.||James Krause||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Stephen Thompson||def.||Patrick Côté||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Brian Ebersole||def.||John Howard||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Kevin Lee||def.||Jon Tuck||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00||[c]|
|Bantamweight||Manvel Gamburyan||def.||Cody Gibson||Submission (guillotine choke)||2||4:56|
- For the UFC Flyweight Championship.
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Johnson vs Cariaso bout.
- Tuck was docked one point for a groin kick in round 2.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Yoel Romero vs. Tim Kennedy
- Performance of the Night: Dominick Cruz and Conor McGregor
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Demetrious Johnson: $183,000 (includes $54,000 win bonus) def. Chris Cariaso: $24,000
- Donald Cerrone: $126,000 (includes $63,000 win bonus) def. Eddie Alvarez: $100,000
- Conor McGregor: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus) def. Dustin Poirier: $34,000
- Yoel Romero: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. Tim Kennedy: $70,000
- Cat Zingano: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Amanda Nunes: $15,000
- Dominick Cruz: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus) def. Takeya Mizugaki: $32,000
- Jorge Masvidal: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus) def. James Krause: $15,000
- Stephen Thompson: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Patrick Côté: $33,000
- Brian Ebersole: $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. John Howard: $21,000
- Kevin Lee: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Jon Tuck: $10,000
- Manvel Gamburyan: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Cody Gibson: $10,000
- "UFC 178 draws reported 10,544 attendance for $2.2 million live gate". MMAjunkie.com. September 28, 2014.
- "The UFC 178–181 PPV Buyrate Estimates Are About as 'Meh' as You'd Expect". cagepotato.com.
- Dave Meltzer. "UFC Lawsuit Analysis, Full Reports on 4 Consecutive Major WWE and UFC shows, and Much More". Wrestling Observer.
- Staff (2014-07-22). "UFC 178 set for Sept 27 at MGM Grand". ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Staff (2013-09-22). "Champ Jon Jones survives gutsy Alexander Gustafsson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-07-23). "Jones-Gustafsson 2 Postponed; DC gets title shot". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Jon Jones injured, forced out of planned UFC 178 meeting with Daniel Cormier". MMAjunkie.com. August 12, 2014.
- Staff (August 12, 2014). "Johnson vs. Cariaso New Main Event of UFC 178". newsroom.mgmgrand.com. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Chris Nelson (2013-07-08). "Ex-Bantamweight Champ Dominick Cruz to Return Against Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Jesse Holland (2013-07-18). "Donald Cerrone vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov targeted for UFC 178 on Sept. 27 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Josh Sanchez (2013-07-18). "Khabib Nurmagomedov injured, planned UFC 178 fight with Donald Cerrone is scrapped". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Tom Ngo (2013-07-29). "Bobby Green Battles Jorge Masvidal at UFC 178". 5thround.com. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- "UFC 178 adds Donald Cerrone-Bobby Green, James Krause-Jorge Masvidal". MMAjunkie.com. August 14, 2014.
- Mookie Alexander (2014-08-19). "Eddie Alvarez to fight Donald Cerrone in UFC 178 co-main event". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- Matt Erickson (2014-09-28). "UFC 178 bonuses: McGregor, Cruz, Romero, Kennedy earn $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- Staff (September 29, 2014). "UFC 178 salaries: Demetrious Johnson ($183K), Conor McGregor ($150K) top payroll". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved September 29, 2014.