|UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier|
The poster for UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 3, 2015|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
Jones was initially scheduled to face Alexander Gustafsson in a rematch on September 27, 2014 at UFC 178. However, Gustafsson pulled out of the bout due to a knee injury and was replaced by Daniel Cormier. Subsequently on August 12, Jones pulled out of the bout against Cormier citing a leg injury, which in turn led to the rescheduling of the pairing to this event.
A matchup for the Women's Bantamweight Championship between the champion at the time Ronda Rousey and top contender Cat Zingano was briefly attached to this event. However, it was announced in late October that the pairing was delayed and would take place eight weeks later at UFC 184.
Danny Castillo was expected to face Rustam Khabilov, but visa issues forced Khabilov out of the fight. He was replaced by Paul Felder, who was originally scheduled to fight at UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver.
Alexis Dufresne missed weight on her first attempt at the weigh ins, weighing in at 138 pounds. She was given additional time to make the bantamweight limit, but made no attempt to cut further. Instead, she was fined 20 percent of her purse, which went to Marion Reneau.
On January 6, it was announced that Jones failed a drug test prior to the event. He tested positive for benzoylecgonine, the primary metabolite of cocaine. As benzoylecgonine is not banned out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, the NSAC could not halt Jones from fighting at UFC 182. He was randomly tested on December 4 and the results came back on December 23, the NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett said. Jones immediately entered rehab, though it was later revealed by his mother that he only spent one night in rehab.
On February 10, it was announced that Hector Lombard failed a fight night drug test, testing positive for the anabolic steroid desoxymethyltestosterone. The failed drug test was responsible for the cancellation of his bout against Rory MacDonald at UFC 186. On March 23, Lombard was suspended for one year, fined and had his win over Josh Burkman overturned to a no contest by the NSAC. He was fined his original $53,000 win bonus, plus one-third of the rest of his purse, which included $53,000 in show money. In addition, Lombard also must pass a drug test prior to getting relicensed by the NSAC.
|Light Heavyweight||Jon Jones (c)||def.||Daniel Cormier||Decision (unanimous) (49–46, 49–46, 49–46)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Lightweight||Donald Cerrone||def.||Myles Jury||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Brad Tavares||def.||Nate Marquardt||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Kyoji Horiguchi||def.||Louis Gaudinot||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Hector Lombard||vs.||Josh Burkman||No Contest (overturned)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Lightweight||Paul Felder||def.||Danny Castillo||KO (spinning back fist)||2||2:09|
|Bantamweight||Cody Garbrandt||def.||Marcus Brimage||TKO (punches)||3||4:50|
|Heavyweight||Shawn Jordan||def.||Jared Cannonier||KO (punches)||1||2:57|
|Lightweight||Evan Dunham||def.||Rodrigo Damm||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Omari Akhmedov||def.||Mats Nilsson||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (138 lbs)||Marion Reneau||def.||Alexis Dufresne||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–25)||3||5:00|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier
- Performance of the Night: Paul Felder and Shawn Jordan
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Jon Jones: $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Daniel Cormier: $90,000
- Donald Cerrone: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Myles Jury: $16,000
- Brad Tavares: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Nate Marquardt: $49,000
- Kyoji Horiguchi: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Louis Gaudinot: $10,000
- Hector Lombard: $106,000 (includes $53,000 win bonus) def. Josh Burkman: $45,000
- Paul Felder: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Danny Castillo: $36,000
- Cody Garbrandt: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Marcus Brimage: $12,000
- Shawn Jordan: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus) def. Jared Cannonier: $8,000
- Evan Dunham: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus) def. Rodrigo Damm: $12,000
- Omari Akhmedov: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Mats Nilsson: $8,000
- Marion Reneau: $17,600 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Alexis Dufresne: $6,400 ^
^ Alexis Dufresne was fined 20 percent of her purse for failing to make the required weight for her fight with Marion Reneau. That money was issued to Reneau, an NSAC official confirmed.
- "UFC 182 Gate and Attendance Low, but PPV Expectations Running High". MMAweekly.com. January 4, 2015.
- "Pay-per-view". mmapayout.com. January 3, 2015.
- Adam Guillen, Jr. (June 27, 2014). "UFC 182 year-end PPV event to be held on Jan 3, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada". mmamania.com. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- Ken Pishna (August 12, 2014). "Jon Jones Out of UFC 178 with Injury, Fight with Daniel Cormier Moved to 2015". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Staff (July 22, 2014). "'UFC 178: Jones vs. Gustafsson 2' set for Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- Marc Raimondi (July 23, 2014). "Alexander Gustafsson out, Daniel Cormier in against Jon Jones at UFC 178". foxsports.com. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- Luke Thomas (October 29, 2014). "Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano moved to UFC 184 in February". mmafighting.com. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- John Morgan (December 4, 2014). "Visa issues force Rustam Khabilov out of UFC 182, Danny Castillo in need of new opponent". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- John Morgan (December 8, 2014). "Danny Castillo vs. Paul Felder set for UFC 182 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (January 2, 2015). "UFC 182 weigh-in results: Jones and Cormier hit mark, won't look at each other". mmajunkie.com.
- Mike Bohn (January 4, 2015). "UFC 182 post-fight facts: Jon Jones nears Anderson Silva's, Georges St-Pierre's marks". mmajunkie.com.
- Steven Marrocco (January 6, 2015). "UFC champion Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine, enters rehab". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (January 13, 2015). "Report: Jon Jones spent one night in rehab, will be at brothers' AFC title game Sunday". mmajunkie.com.
- Steven Marrocco (February 10, 2015). "Hector Lombard failed drug test following UFC 182 win over Josh Burkman". mmajunkie.com.
- Matt Erickson and Brent Brookhouse (March 23, 2015). "Hector Lombard suspended one year, fined, has UFC 182 win overturned by NSAC". mmajunkie.com.
- "UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Staff (January 4, 2015). "UFC 182 bonuses: Paul Felder (of course) wins one of four $50K awards". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (January 5, 2015). "UFC 182 salaries: Jon Jones ($500K) tops list of disclosed payouts". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 5, 2015.