|UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz|
The poster for UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 31, 2015|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
The event was headlined by a middleweight bout between former UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former WEC & Strikeforce Welterweight champion Nick Diaz. It was Silva's first fight since his gruesome leg injury at UFC 168.
A flyweight bout between Ian McCall and John Lineker was originally booked for UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. St. Preux. However, the bout was canceled on the day of the event as McCall was stricken with a blood infection. The fight was later rescheduled for this event.
A middleweight bout between Ed Herman and Derek Brunson was originally booked for UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic. However, the bout was cancelled on the day of the event as Brunson was stricken with a stomach ailment. The fight was later rescheduled for this event.
Both Kelvin Gastelum and John Lineker missed weight on their first attempts at the weigh ins, coming in at 180 lbs and 130 lbs respectively. They were both given additional time to make the weight limits for their respective weight classes, but made no attempts to cut further. Instead, they were both fined 30 percent of their fight purses, which went to Tyron Woodley and Ian McCall respectively. This marked the fourth time that Lineker missed weight in his UFC career. As a result, UFC President Dana White stated both fighters will have to move up a weight class for their next fights, due to their recurring issues with weight cutting.
A featherweight bout between Jimy Hettes and Diego Brandão, slated for the Fight Pass preliminary portion of the card was canceled right before the event started, as Hettes passed out backstage. He was taken to a local hospital for precautionary reasons. Subsequently, both fighters were paid their show money.
Failed drug tests
On February 3, it was announced that both fighters involved in the main event failed drug tests. Anderson Silva failed a pre-fight test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on January 9. The results came in on the day of the announcement and revealed Silva tested positive for drostanolone metabolites, which is an anabolic steroid. Silva also had traces of androsterone, a form of endogenous testosterone and also another banned substance. Silva was also tested on January 19 and on the night of the event. Further testing was expected to be conducted by the Commission to confirm these preliminary results. On the other hand, Nick Diaz had an amount of marijuana metabolites over the allowable limit in his post-fight test. This was the third time that Diaz has tested positive to marijuana. NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar confirmed that the fight had not yet been overturned and couldn't be until a motion was passed by a majority of the commission. Any penalties, suspensions or changes to the outcome of the fight had to be presented as a motion which would then be voted on by the commission to enact the order. On February 9, the result of Silva's drug test on January 19 was revealed to be negative. On February 11, 2015, it was reported that Silva tested positive for an additional unknown illegal substance in a separate test that was related to UFC 183. The NSAC revealed in their meeting held on February 17, that Silva's second test failure was related to fight night tests. His pre-fight test was positive for drostanolone metabolites, while his post-fight test was positive for oxazepam and temazepam. Those medications are used to treat anxiety and insomnia, respectively.
On August 13, after several reschedules, the disciplinary hearing was held to decide on the subject. Silva's defense argued that a tainted sexual enhancement supplement was the root of the two failed tests for drostanolone and also appealed to mistakes in the NSAC testing procedures, pointing to a pair of drug tests, one on Jan. 19 and one after the fight, which Silva passed. He admitted to using both benzodiazepines the night prior to the fight as therapy to control stress and help him sleep. Silva's team was unable to explain the presence of androsterone in the Jan. 9 test. The commission rejected the defense and suspended him for one year retroactive to the date of the fight, as the current guidelines were not in effect at the time of the failed tests. He was also fined his full win bonus, as well as 30% of his show money, totaling $380,000. His victory was overturned to a no contest. Diaz's hearing was delayed until September. On September 14, Diaz was suspended for five years and also fined 33% of his show purse totaling $165,000. Following his appeal four months later in January 2016, the suspension and fine were reduced to 18 months and $100,000 respectively.
|Middleweight||Anderson Silva||vs.||Nick Diaz||No Contest (overturned)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Catchweight (180 lbs)||Tyron Woodley||def.||Kelvin Gastelum||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Al Iaquinta||def.||Joe Lauzon||TKO (punches)||2||3:34|
|Middleweight||Thales Leites||def.||Tim Boetsch||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||3:45|
|Welterweight||Thiago Alves||def.||Jordan Mein||TKO (body kick)||2||0:39|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Women's Bantamweight||Miesha Tate||def.||Sara McMann||Decision (majority) (29–28, 29–27, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Derek Brunson||def.||Ed Herman||TKO (punches)||1||0:36|
|Catchweight (130 lbs)||John Lineker||def.||Ian McCall||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Rafael Natal||def.||Tom Watson||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Middleweight||Ildemar Alcântara||def.||Richardson Moreira||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Thiago Santos||def.||Andy Enz||TKO (punches)||1||1:56|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Thales Leites vs. Tim Boetsch
- Performance of the Night: Thales Leites and Thiago Alves
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Anderson Silva: $800,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) vs. Nick Diaz: $500,000
- Tyron Woodley: $139,000 (includes $65,000 win bonus) def. Kelvin Gastelum: $21,000 ^
- Al Iaquinta: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Joe Lauzon: $36,000
- Thales Leites: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Tim Boetsch: $52,000
- Thiago Alves: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus) def. Jordan Mein: $22,000
- Miesha Tate: $76,000 (includes $38,000 win bonus) def. Sara McMann: $25,000
- Derek Brunson: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Ed Herman: $47,000
- John Lineker: $35,700 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. Ian McCall: $22,300 ^^
- Rafael Natal: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. Tom Watson: $16,000
- Ildemar Alcântara: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Richardson Moreira: $8,000
- Thiago Santos: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Andy Enz: $8,000
^ Kelvin Gastelum was fined 30 percent of his purse ($9,000) for failing to make the required weight for his fight with Tyron Woodley. That money was issued to Woodley, an NSAC official confirmed.
However, Woodley said he would give the money back to Gastelum.
^^ John Lineker was fined 30 percent of his purse ($6,300) for failing to make the required weight for his fight with Ian McCall. That money was issued to McCall, an NSAC official confirmed.
- Staff (2015-02-01). "'UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz' draws reported 13,114 fans for $4.5 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- "Pay-per-view". mmapayout.com. January 1, 2015.
- Adam Guillen, Jr. (2014-07-29). "Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz 'super fight' booked for UFC 183 on Jan. 31, 2015, in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- Staff (2014-11-25). "John Lineker vs. Ian McCall back on as part of UFC 183 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (2014-12-16). "Ed Herman says he's rebooked for scrapped Derek Brunson fight at UFC 183 in Vegas". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (2015-01-30). "UFC 183 official weigh-in results: Gastelum, Lineker ridiculously overweight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-01-31). "Dana White: Kelvin Gastelum and John Lineker will have to move up in weight". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- Matt Erickson (2015-01-31). "Medical issue for Jimy Hettes scratches fight with Diego Brandao from UFC 183 prelims". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- Dann Stupp (2015-02-01). "White: Doctor cleared Hettes to fight but commission vetoed; both fighters paid". mmajunkie.com.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-02-03). "NAC: Anderson Silva tested positive for two types of performance enhancing drugs". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Staff (2015-02-03). "UFC confirms Silva tests positive for steroids, Diaz reportedly pops for marijuana, too". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- FOX Sports (2015-02-07). "Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz has not been ruled no-contest yet". Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-02-09). "Nevada commission: Anderson Silva passed out-of-competition test for HGH, PEDs". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Anton Tabuena (2015-02-11). "Anderson Silva reportedly failed another UFC 183 drug test". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-02-17). "Anderson Silva also failed UFC 183 pre- and post-fight drug tests". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-17.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-08-13). "Anderson Silva suspended one year for failed UFC 183 drug tests". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Lewis Mckeever (2015-08-13). "Nick Diaz expected to stand before NAC in September for failed UFC 183 drug test". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-09-14). "NSAC suspends Nick Diaz five years, issues $165k fine". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-01-12). "NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-12.
- "UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- Staff (2015-02-01). "UFC 183 bonuses: Which fighter on the card doubled up for $100,000?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- "UFC 183 salaries: Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz earn biggest paydays". MMAJunkie.com. 2015-02-02. Retrieved 2015-02-02.