|UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum|
The poster for UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 13, 2015|
|Venue||Arena Ciudad de México|
|City||Mexico City, Mexico|
The event was headlined by a UFC Heavyweight Championship unification bout between then champion Cain Velasquez and then interim champion Fabrício Werdum. The bout was originally expected to take place at UFC 180. However, Velasquez pulled out of the bout due to a knee injury and the event was instead headlined by an interim title bout between Werdum and Mark Hunt.
A lightweight bout between Francisco Trevino and Johnny Case was originally expected to take place at UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver. However, on December 23, it was announced that Trevino had to pull out of the bout due to an injury. The fight was later rescheduled for this event.
Héctor Urbina was expected to face Albert Tumenov at the event. However, Urbina was forced to pull out of the fight due to an arm injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Andrew Todhunter. The bout was then cancelled altogether on June 11 after Todhunter was medically disqualified from the card after dealing with issues while cutting weight. Tumenov will receive his contracted show money.
On July 6, it was announced that Gilbert Melendez tested positive for testosterone metabolites of an exogenous origin. He denied using anything, but stated that he is "responsible for the products he uses and their implications". Melendez was suspended one year, effective from the date of his bout against Eddie Alvarez. As a result of the suspension, he was pulled from his fight against Al Iaquinta at UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee on July 15. On July 17, Augusto Montaño was announced as another fighter who tested positive for the same metabolites as Melendez. He was also suspended for a year.
|Heavyweight||Fabrício Werdum (ic)||def.||Cain Velasquez (c)||Submission (guillotine choke)||3||2:13||[a]|
|Lightweight||Eddie Alvarez||def.||Gilbert Melendez||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Kelvin Gastelum||def.||Nate Marquardt||TKO (corner stoppage)||2||5:00|
|Featherweight||Yair Rodríguez||def.||Charles Rosa||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Tecia Torres||def.||Angela Hill||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (FX)|
|Flyweight||Henry Cejudo||def.||Chico Camus||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Efrain Escudero||def.||Drew Dober||Submission (standing guillotine choke)||1||0:54|
|Bantamweight||Patrick Williams||def.||Alejandro Pérez||Technical Submission (standing guillotine choke)||1||0:23|
|Lightweight||Johnny Case||def.||Francisco Trevino||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Cathal Pendred||def.||Augusto Montaño||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Gabriel Benítez||def.||Clay Collard||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
- UFC Heavyweight Championship unification bout.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Yair Rodríguez vs. Charles Rosa
- Performances of the Night: Patrick Williams and Fabrício Werdum
- Staff (2015-06-14). "UFC 188 draws reported 21,036 fans for Werdum's upset of Velasquez in Mexico City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-14.
- "Pay-per-view". mmapayout.com. June 13, 2015.
- Staff (2015-02-23). "Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum official for UFC 188 in Mexico in June". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2015-02-23). "Velasquez vs. Werdum set for June 13 in Mexico City". ufc.com. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- Staff (2014-10-21). "Cain Velasquez injured; Fabricio Werdum vs. Mark Hunt new UFC 180 main event". ufc.com. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- Staff (2014-12-08). "With Paul Felder out, Johnny Case now meets Francisco Trevino at UFC Fight Night 59". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- Jamie Penick (2014-12-23). "Frank Trevino injured, newcomer Frankie Perez steps in against Johnny Case at UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- Staff (2015-03-27). "Johnny Case vs. Francisco Trevino rebooked for UFC 188 in Mexico City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- Neil Rooke (2015-06-04). "UFC signs Andrew Todhunter, set to debut at UFC 188". combatpress.com. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- John Morgan (2015-06-11). "UFC 188's Andrew Todhunter vs. Albert Tumenov scratched following medical issue". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- Mike Bohn and Justin Park (2015-06-13). "Albert Tumenov 'very disappointed' with 'suspicious' UFC 188 opponent withdrawals". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-14.
- Staff (2015-07-06). "UFC statement on Gilbert Melendez". ufc.com. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-07-17). "UFC suspends Augusto Montaño one year for testing positive for testosterone". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- Matt Erickson (2015-06-14). "UFC 188 bonuses: Fabricio Werdum cashes $50,000 extra check. Who joined him?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-14.
|This article related to mixed martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|