|UFC 197: Jones vs. Saint Preux|
The poster for UFC 197: Jones vs. Saint Preux.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||April 23, 2016|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
The UFC hoped to contest the event at Madison Square Garden in New York City, in what would be the first event in the state of New York since the state's MMA ban. However, on January 25, it was announced that a preliminary injunction allowing the promotion to hold the event was denied by a federal judge. According to an order issued by New York district court judge Kimba M. Wood, the federal court must first rule on Zuffa's appeal on New York's MMA ban and won't interfere with the enforcement of state law. On February 6, the UFC confirmed the event would take place in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The event was expected to be headlined by a UFC Light Heavyweight Championship rematch between then champion Daniel Cormier and former champion Jon Jones. The pairing met previously at UFC 182 in January 2015 with Jones defending his title via unanimous decision. Subsequent to that victory, Jones was stripped of the title and suspended indefinitely from the UFC in connection with a hit-and-run incident that he was involved in. Cormier replaced him and went on to defeat Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 to win the vacant title.
On March 29, Jones was arrested in Albuquerque, New Mexico on a charge of violating his probation related to his hit-and-run incident in 2015. The arrest took place five days after Jones was cited on multiple traffic charges, including drag racing, exhibition driving, weaving, failing to properly display his license plate and modifying his exhaust pipe. He agreed to a plea deal and was released on March 31. In a statement, the UFC announced it was "disappointed" with Jones, but the bout would continue as planned. However, on April 1, it was announced that Cormier injured his foot and was out of the planned fight. He was replaced by Ovince Saint Preux in what became an interim title fight. Anthony Johnson was the original planned replacement, but due to a recent oral procedure, he wasn't able to accept the fight.
In January 2016, B.J. Penn announced his intentions to return to active competition in the featherweight division after an 18-month "retirement" and was expected to compete at this event. However, Penn's return was delayed after an investigation into recent criminal allegations made against him was launched. After he was exonerated, the UFC announced that he would face Dennis Siver at UFC 199.
Former WSOF Women's Strawweight Champion Jessica Aguilar was expected to face Juliana Lima at the event, but pulled out on March 18 due to a knee injury. She was replaced by former UFC Women's Strawweight Champion Carla Esparza.
|Light Heavyweight||Jon Jones||def.||Ovince Saint Preux||Decision (unanimous) (50-44, 50-45, 50-45)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Flyweight||Demetrious Johnson (c)||def.||Henry Cejudo||TKO (knees and punches)||1||2:49||[b]|
|Lightweight||Edson Barboza||def.||Anthony Pettis||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Robert Whittaker||def.||Rafael Natal||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Yair Rodríguez||def.||Andre Fili||KO (flying head kick)||2||2:15|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Flyweight||Sergio Pettis||def.||Chris Kelades||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Danny Roberts||def.||Dominique Steele||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Carla Esparza||def.||Juliana Lima||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||James Vick||def.||Glaico França||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Heavyweight||Walt Harris||def.||Cody East||TKO (punches)||1||4:18|
|Light Heavyweight||Marcos Rogério de Lima||def.||Clint Hester||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||1||4:35|
|Lightweight||Kevin Lee||def.||Efrain Escudero||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Danny Roberts vs. Dominique Steele
- Performance of the Night: Demetrious Johnson and Yair Rodríguez
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Jon Jones: $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Ovince Saint Preux: $55,000
- Demetrious Johnson: $195,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Henry Cejudo: $60,000
- Edson Barboza: $88,000 (includes $44,000 win bonus) def. Anthony Pettis: $80,000
- Robert Whittaker: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Rafael Natal: $41,000
- Yair Rodríguez: $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. Andre Fili: $18,000
- Sergio Pettis: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Chris Kelades: $12,000
- Danny Roberts: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Dominique Steele: $12,000
- Carla Esparza: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Juliana Lima: $14,000
- James Vick: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Glaico França: $17,000
- Walt Harris: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Cody East: $10,000
- Marcos Rogério de Lima: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Clint Hester: $12,000
- Kevin Lee: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Efrain Escudero: $18,000
- Staff (2016-04-24). "UFC 197 attendance: event draws 11,352 fans for $2.3 million live gate in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Meltzer, Dave. "November 28, 2016 Wrestling Observer Newsletter". f4wonline.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08. (Subscription required (help)).
- Mike Bohn (2016-02-06). "UFC 197 set for April 23 in Vegas with Cormier-Jones 2, Johnson-Cejudo title fights". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Jesse Holland (2015-09-28). "UFC sues state of New York, books PPV event for April 23 in Madison Square Garden". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-01-25). "NY federal judge denies UFC move to allow Madison Square Garden event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-01-04). "UFC 182 results: Jon Jones tested, but defends title against Daniel Cormier". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-04-29). "Jon Jones stripped of title, Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson for belt headlines UFC 187". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-05-24). "UFC 187 results: Daniel Cormier wears down Anthony Johnson for third-round tap". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-03-29). "UFC 197 headliner Jon Jones arrested on probation violation after drag racing citation". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Staff (2016-03-31). "UFC 'disappointed' with Jon Jones, but UFC 197 headliner is still a go". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Staff (2016-04-01). "Rematch on hold: Injury forces Daniel Cormier off UFC 197 headliner vs. Jon Jones". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- Staff (2016-04-02). "Ovince Saint Preux replaces Daniel Cormier, meets Jon Jones in new UFC 197 headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- Mike Bohn (2016-04-03). "Why Anthony Johnson isn't fighting Jon Jones on short notice at UFC 197". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Staff (2016-01-19). "Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Damon Martin (2016-02-08). "BJ Penn says his return has been pushed back to UFC 197 in April". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- MMA Fighting Newswire (2016-02-18). "UFC postpones BJ Penn's return amid allegations". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- Staff (2016-04-12). "B.J. Penn vs. Dennis Siver slated for UFC 199 in Los Angeles". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-03-18). "Jessica Aguilar injured, out of UFC 197 fight with Juliana Lima". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Brian Martin (2016-03-29). "UFC 197: Carla Esparza returns to Octagon vs. Julianna Lima". dailynews.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "UFC 197: Jones vs. Saint Preux". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-04-23). "UFC 197 bonuses: Johnson, Rodriguez, Roberts, Steele pocket $50k awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Staff (2016-04-25). "UFC 197 salaries: Jones gets $500K disclosed payout, Saint Preux $55K". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-25.