|UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic|
The poster for UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||May 14, 2016|
|Venue||Arena da Baixada|
The event was initially announced as a Fight Night event with a middleweight bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Vitor Belfort and former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Ronaldo Souza scheduled to serve as headliner. However, it was reported by Brazilian media that this event would become UFC 198 following a series of events in January 2016 that led to the originally planned UFC 196 becoming a UFC Fight Night following a series of cancellations.
On March 4, it was confirmed that the event was indeed changed to PPV and it would be headlined by a UFC Heavyweight Championship bout between champion Fabrício Werdum and top contender Stipe Miocic. They were briefly scheduled to meet at the original UFC 196, as Miocic replaced former two-time champion Cain Velasquez. In turn, Werdum announced on the following day that he was pulling out of the event due to injury as well as he wasn't comfortable with the opponent change while dealing with injuries of his own.
The event was the first that the promotion hosted in Curitiba. It was the fourth stadium venue to host a UFC event after UFC 129 at the Rogers Centre in Canada, UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson at the Tele2 Arena in Sweden and UFC 193 at the Etihad Stadium in Australia.
A lightweight bout between Evan Dunham and The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 2 winner Leonardo Santos, originally scheduled for this event, was moved to UFC 199 after a minor injury to Dunham delayed the matchup a few weeks.
The event featured the long anticipated debut of Curitiba native Cris Cyborg, former Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Champion and current Invicta FC Featherweight Champion, in a catchweight bout of 140 lb against Leslie Smith.
Former UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva was expected to face Uriah Hall at the event. However, Silva pulled out just four days before the event with a clinical condition that indicated acute cholecystitis and required surgical intervention. The UFC wanted to find a replacement for him, but Hall opted against that.
During the main card broadcast, the UFC announced that former interim UFC Heavyweight Champion and Pride Heavyweight Champion Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira will be inducted to the UFC's Hall of Fame at the "International Fight Week" in July, one day after UFC 200.
|Heavyweight||Stipe Miocic||def.||Fabrício Werdum (c)||KO (punch)||1||2:47||[a]|
|Middleweight||Ronaldo Souza||def.||Vitor Belfort||TKO (punches)||1||4:38|
|Catchweight (140 lb)||Cris Cyborg||def.||Leslie Smith||TKO (punches)||1||1:21|
|Light Heavyweight||Maurício Rua||def.||Corey Anderson||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Bryan Barberena||def.||Warlley Alves||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Demian Maia||def.||Matt Brown||Submission (rear-naked choke)||3||4:31|
|Middleweight||Thiago Santos||def.||Nate Marquardt||KO (punches)||1||3:39|
|Lightweight||Francisco Trinaldo||def.||Yancy Medeiros||Decision (unanimous) (29–26, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||John Lineker||def.||Rob Font||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Light Heavyweight||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||def.||Patrick Cummins||TKO (punches)||1||4:52|
|Welterweight||Sérgio Moraes||vs.||Luan Chagas||Draw (split) (29–28, 28–29, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Renato Moicano||def.||Zubaira Tukhugov||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Francisco Trinaldo vs. Yancy Medeiros
- Performance of the Night: Stipe Miocic and Ronaldo Souza
- Staff (May 15, 2016). "UFC 198 attendance: Event draws 45,207 for third largest show in company history". mmajunkie.com.
- Meltzer, Dave. "November 28, 2016 Wrestling Observer Newsletter". f4wonline.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Marcelo Alonso (2016-02-22). "Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic to headline UFC 198 in Brazil". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- Staff (2016-03-04). "'UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic' official for May 14 in 40,000-seat Brazilian arena". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2016-01-19). "Vitor Belfort vs. Jacare Souza announced for UFC event in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Evelyn Rodrigues, Marcelo Barone and Raphael Marinho (2016-02-04). "Ultimate altera edição no Brasil para UFC 198 e quer Werdum x Miocic (Brazilian Portuguese)". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Mike Dyce (2016-01-24). "Cain Velasquez out, Stipe Miocic to fill in at UFC 196". fansided.com. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-01-25). "Fabricio Werdum pulls out of UFC 196 with injury". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-03-15). "Evan Dunham suffers 'small injury', fight with Leonardo Santos moved to UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- Staff (2016-03-28). "'Cyborg' Justino meets Leslie Smith at UFC 198 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Staff (2016-05-01). "Kamaru Usman out of UFC 198 bout with Sergio Moraes". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- Kevin Iole (2016-05-10). "Anderson Silva out of UFC 198, may require gall bladder surgery". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- Luke Thomas (2016-05-11). "Uriah Hall off UFC 198 fight card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- Staff (2016-05-14). "UFC announces Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira as newest member of UFC Hall of Fame". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-05-15). "UFC 198 bonuses: Miocic, "Jacare", Trinaldo, Medeiros take home $50k". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.