|UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley|
The poster for UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 30, 2016|
A UFC Flyweight Championship bout between current champion Demetrious Johnson and challenger Wilson Reis was expected to serve as the co-main event. However, on July 8, it was announced that Johnson pulled out due to an undisclosed injury and the bout was rescheduled for UFC on Fox 24. Reis was expected to remain on the card against promotional newcomer Sean Santella, but a few days later Santella announced the bout was scrapped because the UFC said "he needed to get more medicals done and there wasn't enough time". In turn, Reis faced Hector Sandoval, another newcomer.
Cláudio Silva was expected to face Siyar Bahadurzada at the event. However, on June 16, Silva pulled out due to injury and was replaced by Jorge Masvidal. In turn, Bahadurzada pulled out of the bout on July 12 citing an illness and was replaced by The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom winner Ross Pearson.
Justin Scoggins was expected to face Ian McCall in a flyweight bout. However, two days before the event, Scoggins announced he was struggling during the weight cut and was not going to make the contracted weight. The UFC pulled Scoggins and canceled the bout and McCall still weighed in as an alternate. Scoggins announced he will move to bantamweight for his next fight. As a result, McCall reportedly received his fight purse and a "win" bonus.
|Welterweight||Tyron Woodley||def.||Robbie Lawler (c)||KO (punches)||1||2:12||[a]|
|Women's Strawweight||Karolina Kowalkiewicz||def.||Rose Namajunas||Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Jake Ellenberger||def.||Matt Brown||TKO (body kick and punches)||1||1:46|
|Bantamweight||Érik Pérez||def.||Francisco Rivera||Decision (unanimous) (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Ryan Benoit||def.||Fredy Serrano||Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 2)|
|Light Heavyweight||Nikita Krylov||def.||Ed Herman||KO (head kick)||2||0:40|
|Welterweight||Jorge Masvidal||def.||Ross Pearson||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Anthony Hamilton||def.||Damian Grabowski||KO (punches)||1||0:14|
|Flyweight||Wilson Reis||def.||Hector Sandoval||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||1:49|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Michael Graves||vs.||Bojan Veličković||Draw (majority) (30-27, 28-28, 28-28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Damien Brown||def.||Cesar Arzamendia||KO (punches)||1||2:27|
- For the UFC Welterweight Championship.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Rose Namajunas
- Performance of the Night: Tyron Woodley and Jake Ellenberger
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Tyron Woodley: $340,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Robbie Lawler: $500,000
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus) def. Rose Namajunas: $46,000
- Jake Ellenberger: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus) def. Matt Brown: $73,000
- Érik Pérez: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Francisco Rivera: $23,000
- Ryan Benoit: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Fredy Serrano: $12,000
- Nikita Krylov: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Ed Herman: $51,000
- Jorge Masvidal: $114,000 (includes $57,000 win bonus) def. Ross Pearson: $54,000
- Anthony Hamilton: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Damian Grabowski: $18,000
- Wilson Reis: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Hector Sandoval: $12,000
- Michael Graves: $12,000 vs. Bojan Veličković: $14,000 ^
- Damien Brown: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Cesar Arzamendia: $10,000
^ Both fighters earned show money; bout declared draw.
On August 18, it was announced that USADA informed Francisco Rivera of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection on July 23. Additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.
- Staff (July 31, 2016). "UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley gate and attendance from Atlanta". mmaweekly.com.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-05-04). "Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley targeted for UFC 201 headliner in Atlanta". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- Staff (2016-05-17). "Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley official for UFC 201 headliner in Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- Staff (2016-05-18). "Demetrious Johnson to defend flyweight title against Wilson Reis at UFC 201". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Mike Bohn (2016-07-08). "Flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson injured, out of UFC 201 title fight with Wilson Reis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- Staff (2016-07-13). "Promotional newcomer Sean Santella steps in to fight Wilson Reis at UFC 201 in Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Staff (2016-07-16). "Sean Santella says short-notice UFC 201 bout against Wilson Reis has been scrapped". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-16.
- Dana Becker (2016-07-18). "Team Alpha Male's Hector Sandoval takes on Wilson Reis at UFC 201". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Staff (2016-06-16). "Jorge Masvidal replaces Claudio Silva, meets Siyar Bahadurzada at UFC 201". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Staff (2016-07-12). "Illness forces Siyar Bahadurzada out of UFC 201, UFC seeks opponent for Jorge Masvidal". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-12.
- Brett Okamoto (2016-07-13). "Ross Pearson agrees to fight Jorge Masvidal at UFC 201". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Rob Tatum (2016-07-21). "Ray Borg injured, Fredy Serrano now meets Ryan Benoit at UFC 201". combatpress.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Staff (2016-07-28). "Video: Weight-cutting issues force Justin Scoggins out of UFC 201 vs. McCall (updated)". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- Dann Stupp and John Morgan (2016-07-30). "Despite UFC 201 bout cancellation, Ian McCall gets fight purse and win bonus". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- "UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- Staff (2016-07-31). "UFC 201 bonuses: New champ Tyron Woodley pockets an extra $50,000 for his KO of Lawler". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- Staff (2016-08-01). "UFC 201 salaries: Lawler, Woodley lead $1.691 million payroll in Atlanta". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- Staff (2016-08-18). "Francisco Rivera informed of potential USADA anti-doping violation following out-of-competition test". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.