|UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2|
The poster for UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 20, 2016|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on August 20, 2016, at T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas metropolitan area.
The pairing previously met earlier in the year at UFC 196. McGregor was expected to challenge then UFC Lightweight Champion Rafael dos Anjos, but dos Anjos pulled out due to a broken foot only 11 days before the event. Diaz eventually replaced him and the bout was shifted to the welterweight division. Diaz won the fight via rear-naked choke in the second round. Their rematch was originally expected to take place at UFC 200, but everything changed during mid-April, as a disagreement between McGregor and the UFC, regarding his media schedule, led to his removal from the event and then Diaz was also pulled out.
A bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challengers Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira was expected to serve as the co-main event for UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko. However, Johnson pulled out one month before the event to tend to personal issues. In turn, promotion officials elected to pull Teixeira from the card and the pairing was left intact and rescheduled to take place at this event.
A welterweight contest between former WEC Welterweight Champion and former interim UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit and Demian Maia, a former UFC Middleweight Championship challenger, was scheduled to take place at this event, but was moved a week later to headline an already scheduled FOX event.
The Ultimate Fighter: China winner Ning Guangyou tested positive for clenbuterol from an out-of-competition sample taken May 19, but USADA found he ingested the substance without fault or negligence. They reviewed the evidence of the case - Ning's whereabouts, dietary habits and the lab reports showing "very low parts per billion concentrations" of the substance - and determined that it very likely came from tainted meat, as countries like Mexico and China have a high risk for meats contaminated with the substance. Ning will not face a suspension. He was expected to face Marlon Vera at this event, but due to this incident the bout was pushed back one week for UFC on Fox: Maia vs. Condit.
|Welterweight||Conor McGregor||def||Nate Diaz||Decision (majority) (48-47, 47-47, 48-47)||5||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Anthony Johnson||def.||Glover Teixeira||KO (punch)||1||0:13|
|Welterweight||Donald Cerrone||def.||Rick Story||TKO (head kick and punches)||2||2:02|
|Welterweight||Mike Perry||def.||Hyun Gyu Lim||TKO (punches)||1||3:38|
|Welterweight||Tim Means||def.||Sabah Homasi||TKO (punches)||2||2:56|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Bantamweight||Cody Garbrandt||def.||Takeya Mizugaki||TKO (punches)||1||0:48|
|Women's Bantamweight||Raquel Pennington||def.||Elizabeth Phillips||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Artem Lobov||def.||Chris Avila||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Cortney Casey||def.||Randa Markos||Verbal Submission (armbar)||1||4:34|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Lorenz Larkin||def.||Neil Magny||TKO (elbows)||1||4:08|
|Welterweight||Colby Covington||def.||Max Griffin||TKO (punches)||3||2:18|
|Middleweight||Marvin Vettori||def.||Alberto Uda||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||4:30|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
- Performance of the Night: Anthony Johnson and Donald Cerrone
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $6,106,000.
- Conor McGregor: $3,000,000 (no win bonus) def. Nate Diaz: $2,000,000
- Anthony Johnson: $270,000 (includes $135,000 win bonus) def. Glover Teixeira: $65,000
- Donald Cerrone: $170,000 (includes $85,000 win bonus) def. Rick Story: $41,000
- Mike Perry: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Hyun Gyu Lim: $18,000
- Tim Means: $62,000 (includes $31,000 win bonus) def. Sabah Homasi: $12,000
- Cody Garbrandt: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus) def. Takeya Mizugaki: $39,000
- Raquel Pennington: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus) def. Elizabeth Phillips: $12,000
- Artem Lobov: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Chris Avila: $10,000
- Cortney Casey: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Randa Markos: $14,000
- Lorenz Larkin: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus) def. Neil Magny: $47,000
- Colby Covington: $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. Max Griffin: $10,000
- Marvin Vettori: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Alberto Uda: $10,000
McGregor's fight purse was the highest in history, breaking Brock Lesnar's record from UFC 200 by $500,000. Also, this event estimates doing 1.65 million buys on pay-per-view, putting it slightly ahead of the previous record (1.6 million) from UFC 100, which featured the second bout between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir.
- Staff (2016-08-21). "UFC 202 attendance: Entertaining card nets fifth highest gate in UFC history". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "Top MMA Gates". Nevada State Athletic Commission. September 16, 2016.
- Dave Meltzer (2016-09-07). "Diaz vs. McGregor 2 looks to have broken UFC pay-per-view record". mmafighting.com/. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-06-04). "Rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor set for UFC 202". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Dave Meltzer (2016-08-20). "UFC completes sale to WME-IMG". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- Jeremy Botter (2016-06-02). "UFC still trying to land Diaz rematch for "obsessed" McGregor". flocombat.com. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- Damon Martin (2016-02-23). "Diaz gets the call, faces Conor McGregor in new UFC 196 main event". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-03-06). "UFC 196 results: Diaz shocks Conor McGregor with second-round choke". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-06.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-04-19). "Dana White: Conor McGregor pulled from UFC 200, because he wouldn't attend press conference". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Steven Marrocco and John Morgan (2016-06-18). "Anthony Johnson out of UFC on FOX 20 co-headliner with Glover Teixeira". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- Thomas Myers (2016-06-27). "UFC 202 fight card gets Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-06-27.
- Staff (2016-07-12). "Dong Hyun Kim out of UFC 202 bout against Neil Magny, promotion seeking replacement". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-12.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2016-07-13). "Lorenz Larkin steps in against Neil Magny at UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-07-19). "Carlos Condit vs. Demian Maia moved from UFC 202 to UFC on FOX 21 main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Staff (2016-08-03). "Sultan Aliev injured, out of UFC 202 bout with Hyun Gyu Lim". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Staff (2016-08-04). "Mike Perry replaces Aliev at UFC 202". fightsports.tv. Archived from the original on 2016-08-22. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- John Morgan (2016-08-05). "Sean Strickland out at UFC 202; promotion seeks new opponent for Tim Means". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-08-09). "Sabah Homasi steps in to face Tim Means at UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-08-09). "UFC's Ning Guangyou fails drug test for clenbuterol, USADA finds no fault". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- "UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Staff (2016-08-21). "UFC 202 bonuses: Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz lead way for their instant classic". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- Staff (2016-08-21). "Full UFC 202 salaries: McGregor, Diaz get $5 million of $6.1 million total payout". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-21.