|UFC 208: Holm vs. de Randamie|
The poster for UFC 208: Holm vs. de Randamie.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||February 11, 2017|
|City||Brooklyn, New York|
The event was originally scheduled to take place on January 21 at Honda Center in Anaheim, California. However, due to a lack of suitable headliners for the date, the event in Anaheim was postponed to August 5 (and subsequently took place at Staples Center in Los Angeles) and an originally scheduled UFC 209 to be held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York on February 11 was renamed as UFC 208. This was the first UFC event held in Brooklyn and the fourth overall hosted in the state of New York.
The event was headlined by the inaugural UFC Women's Featherweight Championship bout between former UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie. It was also the first women's featherweight bout in the promotion's history.
A UFC Featherweight Championship unification bout between two-time champion José Aldo and interim champion Max Holloway was in the works for this card. The bout eventually did not materialize as Holloway had some consideration (nagging injuries and the desire to spend Christmas with his family) about fighting only two months after UFC 206.
The original Anaheim event had two announced bouts, including flyweights Wilson Reis and Ulka Sasaki, as well as a light heavyweight bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challenger Glover Teixeira and Jimi Manuwa. Teixeira faced Jared Cannonier at the event, while Manuwa faced Corey Anderson at UFC Fight Night 107.
A flyweight bout between Ian McCall and Neil Seery was originally scheduled for UFC Fight Night: Mousasi vs. Hall 2. However, the pairing was cancelled on the day of the weigh-ins, as McCall had to pull out of the fight after becoming ill due the effects of his weight cut. The fight was later rescheduled for this event. In turn, Seery pulled out on January 29 due to the passing of his mother-in-law. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Jarred Brooks. On the day of the event, McCall was hospitalized with gastrointestinal issues and the bout was cancelled.
Gilbert Burns was expected to face Paul Felder at the event. However, Burns pulled out of the fight in mid-January citing injury. In turn, Felder was removed from the card and rescheduled against a new opponent at a separate event a week later.
George Sullivan was scheduled to face Randy Brown at the event. However on January 26, Sullivan was pulled from the card after being notified by USADA of a potential anti-doping violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collected earlier this year. Belal Muhammad was chosen as his replacement.
Luis Henrique was expected to face Marcin Tybura, but was pulled from the bout on February 1 due to NYSAC concerns related to a corrective eye surgery he underwent almost a year before. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Justin Willis. In turn, the bout was cancelled entirely as Willis was deemed "medically unfit" to compete.
|Women's Featherweight||Germaine de Randamie||def.||Holly Holm||Decision (unanimous) (48–47, 48–47, 48–47)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Middleweight||Anderson Silva||def.||Derek Brunson||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Ronaldo Souza||def.||Tim Boetsch||Submission (kimura)||1||3:41|
|Light Heavyweight||Glover Teixeira||def.||Jared Cannonier||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Dustin Poirier||def.||Jim Miller||Decision (majority) (28–28, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Belal Muhammad||def.||Randy Brown||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Wilson Reis||def.||Ulka Sasaki||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Islam Makhachev||def.||Nik Lentz||Decision (unanimous) (30–25, 30–25, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Rick Glenn||def.||Phillipe Nover||Decision (split) (27–30, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Ryan LaFlare||def.||Roan Carneiro||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the inaugural UFC Women's Featherweight Championship.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Dustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller
- Performance of the Night: Ronaldo Souza
On February 15, it was announced that Holm filed a complaint against referee Todd Anderson and an appeal of the result, asking the NYSAC to review Anderson's "failure to deduct one or more points from Germaine de Randamie following her repeated strikes thrown after the horn sounded to end rounds 2 and 3." Thirteen days later, the NYSAC denied Holm's appeal.
On June 20, Sullivan was officially suspended for his second anti-doping offense by USADA, receiving a one-year term for his failed test. He had disclosed he was taking prescription fertility medication and provided medical records to document his treatment, which wound up helping him when punishment was considered. His positive test was caused by clomiphene citrate, which "he was using in a therapeutic dose under the care of a physician to treat a medical condition," USADA said in a statement. They determined that Sullivan's degree of fault was reduced because "his use of clomiphene citrate was under the care of his physician for a documented medical condition. Accordingly, Sullivan received a reduction to one year from the standard two-year period of ineligibility that could have been imposed for a second offense involving a specified substance." His period of ineligibility began January 14, the date of his positive test.
- Staff (February 12, 2017). "Sold-out UFC 208 draws announced 15,628 fans for $2,275,105 live gate, Barclays Center sports record". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- Dave Doyle (December 1, 2016). "UFC reschedules Anaheim event; Brooklyn card is now UFC 208". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- Brian Martin (November 9, 2016). "UFC 208 announced for Jan. 21 at Honda Center". dailynews.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- Staff (November 9, 2016). "UFC continues to map out early 2017 with events in Anaheim, Denver, Brooklyn, Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- Thomas Gerbasi (December 13, 2016). "UFC introduces women's featherweight division with title fight in Brooklyn". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-12-14.
- Brett Okamoto (December 13, 2016). "Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie to feature 1st female UFC featherweight title". espn.com. Retrieved 2016-12-13.
- Guilherme Cruz (December 12, 2016). "José Aldo says he's fighting Max Holloway at UFC 208". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- Mike Bohn (December 21, 2016). "Manager explains why Max Holloway isn't fighting Jose Aldo at UFC 208". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- Guilherme Cruz (November 25, 2016). "Wilson Reis vs. Ulka Sasaki slated for UFC 208". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- Brett Okamoto (November 28, 2016). "Glover Teixeira, Jimi Manuwa agree to UFC 208 fight". espn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- Ariel Helwani (December 7, 2016). "Glover Teixeira vs. Jared Cannonier in the works for UFC 208". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- Matt Erickson (November 18, 2016). "Again? Seriously? Illness forces Ian McCall out of UFC Fight Night 99 fight with Neil Seery". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- Mike Bohn (January 29, 2017). "Stop us if you've heard this one: UFC 208's Ian McCall loses an opponent – again". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Thomas Gerbasi (January 30, 2017). "Brooks to replace Seery at UFC 208". ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- Staff (February 11, 2017). "Cursed: Ian McCall illness scraps UFC 208 fight vs. Jarred Brooks (no, seriously)". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-11.
- Eric Kowal (January 17, 2017). "Gilbert Burns injured, UFC seeking replacement for Paul Felder". mymmanews.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- Themistoklis Alexis (January 23, 2016). "Paul Felder faces Alessandro Ricci at UFC Halifax". thescore.com. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- Mookie Alexander (January 23, 2017). "Browne vs Lewis rescheduled for UFC Fight Night 105". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- Staff (January 26, 2017). "George Sullivan notified of potential USADA anti-doping violation, out of UFC 208 fight with Randy Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Staff (February 4, 2017). "With Sullivan out, Randy Brown now meets Belal Muhammad at UFC 208 in Brooklyn". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- John Morgan (February 1, 2017). "Luis Henrique out at next week's UFC 208; promotion needs heavyweight opponent for Marcin Tybura". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- Steven Marrocco and Christian Stein (February 6, 2017). "Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Thomas Gerbasi (February 7, 2017). "Willis replaces Henrique, faces Tybura at UFC 208". ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- Matt Parrino (February 10, 2017). "Willis out of UFC fight with Tybura". ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- "UFC 208: Holm vs. de Randamie". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- Staff (February 12, 2017). "UFC 208 bonuses: With the only finish on the card, naturally 'Jacare' Souza got an extra $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- Ariel Helwani (February 15, 2017). "Holly Holm officially appeals UFC 208 loss due to punches landed after horn". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- Ariel Helwani (February 28, 2017). "NYSAC denies Holly Holm's appeal of UFC 208 loss". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Steven Marrocco (June 20, 2017). "USADA hands UFC's George Sullivan 1-year suspension for 2nd anti-doping offense". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.