|UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 8, 2018|
|City||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega is an upcoming mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that will be held on December 8, 2018 at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
A UFC Featherweight Championship bout between current champion Max Holloway and Brian Ortega is expected to serve as the event headliner. The fight was originally scheduled to take place at UFC 226, but Holloway pulled out due to "concussion like symptoms".
In the co-headlining slot, a bout for the vacant UFC Women's Flyweight Championship between former UFC Women's Strawweight Champion Joanna Jędrzejczyk and former UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship challenger Valentina Shevchenko was expected to take place. If victorious, Jędrzejczyk would become the first woman to win titles in different divisions. They met previously in amateur muay thai and kickboxing, with Shevchenko winning all three encounters. However on October 2, the UFC announced that Shevchenko would face Sijara Eubanks at UFC 230 instead, as that event was in need of a headliner. The fight between Shevchenko and Jędrzejczyk was put back together a week later though, as a fight between current UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier and Derrick Lewis is expected to fill the headlining slot at UFC 230.
A lightweight bout between Gilbert Burns and Olivier Aubin-Mercier was previously scheduled to take place in February 2018 at UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens. However, Burns was pulled from the pairing during the week leading up to the event after medical officials deemed that it was unsafe for Burns to cut the necessary weight for the 156-pound limit. The fight has been rescheduled for this event.
A middleweight bout between The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 heavyweight winner Antônio Carlos Júnior and The Ultimate Fighter: Nations middleweight winner Elias Theodorou was initially scheduled to take place at UFC Fight Night: Santos vs. Anders. However, Júnior pulled out on August 28 due to injury. The pairing was then rescheduled for this event. In turn, on September 13, it was reported that Júnior was forced to withdraw as a surgery is required to treat the injury that caused the first cancellation of this bout. On October 1, it was reported that Eryk Anders would replace him.
A light heavyweight bout between Jimi Manuwa and Thiago Santos was expected to headline UFC Fight Night: Santos vs. Anders, but the bout was scrapped due to an injury suffered by Manuwa. The pairing is now expected to take place at this event.
|Featherweight||Max Holloway (c)||vs.||Brian Ortega||[a]|
|Women's Flyweight||Joanna Jędrzejczyk||vs.||Valentina Shevchenko||[b]|
|Light Heavyweight||Jimi Manuwa||vs.||Thiago Santos|
|Women's Strawweight||Cláudia Gadelha||vs.||Nina Ansaroff|
|Middleweight||Eryk Anders||vs.||Elias Theodorou|
|Lightweight||Olivier Aubin-Mercier||vs.||Gilbert Burns|
|Bantamweight||Brad Katona||vs.||Matthew Lopez|
|Welterweight||Chad Laprise||vs.||Dhiego Lima|
|Lightweight||John Makdessi||vs.||Carlos Diego Ferreira|
|Featherweight||Hakeem Dawodu||vs.||Kyle Bochniak|
|Light Heavyweight||Devin Clark||vs.||Aleksandar Rakić|
- Staff (2018-07-08). "UFC announces rest of 2018 schedule from September through end of year". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Staff (2018-10-01). "Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega title fight officially back on at UFC 231 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- Mike Bohn (2018-07-04). "Max Holloway out of UFC 226, hospitalized with concussion-like symptoms". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Brandon Wise (2018-09-20). "Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Valentina Shevchenko set for flyweight title fight at UFC 231". cbssports.com. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Justin Park (2016-07-23). "Valentina Shevchenko has 3 wins over UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, who's now a supporter". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- Staff (2018-10-02). "UFC 230 finally has main event: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Sijara Eubanks for vacant flyweight title". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- Brett Okamoto (2018-10-09). "Daniel Cormier-Derrick Lewis official; Valentina Shevchenko moved back to UFC 231". espn.com. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-02-21). "Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier scratched from UFC on FOX 28". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-08-22). "Attempt 2: Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier at UFC 231 in Toronto". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-08-22. (in Dutch)
- Marc Raimondi (2018-08-27). "Antonio Carlos Junior out of UFC Sao Paulo fight against Elias Theodorou". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-28.
- Gabriel Camargo (2018-08-28). "Cara de Sapato gets hurt and fights with Elias Theodorou is delayed for UFC 231". mmabrasil.com.br. Retrieved 2018-08-29. (in Portuguese)
- Danny Segura (2018-09-14). "Antonio Carlos Junior says he's out of UFC 231 bout with Elias Theodorou". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- Mike Bohn (2018-10-01). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago 'Marreta' Santos, Eryk Anders vs. Elias Theodorou added to UFC 231". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- Mookie Alexander (2018-09-16). "Jimi Manuwa injured, Eryk Anders now fights Thiago Santos in UFC Sao Paulo main event". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-08-27.
- Martin, Damon (2018-10-12). "Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jessica Eye expected at UFC 231 in Toronto". mma.nytt.com. Retrieved 12 October 2018.