|UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith|
The poster for UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 2, 2019|
UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on March 2, 2019 at T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area.
A UFC Welterweight Championship bout between current champion Tyron Woodley and The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians welterweight winner Kamaru Usman served as the co-headliner.
As a result of the cancellation of UFC 233, a welterweight bout between former UFC Welterweight Champion Robbie Lawler and promotional newcomer and former Bellator Welterweight World Champion Ben Askren (also former ONE Welterweight Champion) was rescheduled for this event.
A women's bantamweight bout between former UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm and Aspen Ladd was expected to take place at the event. However, on January 31, it was reported the matchup was scrapped due to undisclosed reasons and both fighters are expected to face new opponents in other events.
Thomas Almeida was expected to face Marlon Vera at the event. Almeida pulled out of the fight on January 31 citing an injury. He was replaced by Frankie Saenz. However, the fight was cancelled entirely on February 27 when Vera pulled out of the fight due to illness.
Former interim title challenger Ovince Saint Preux was expected to face Misha Cirkunov at the event. However, on February 11, it was announced that Saint Preux suffered an injury and was pulled from the fight. He was replaced by Johnny Walker.
Yadong Song was expected to face The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America bantamweight winner Alejandro Pérez at the event, but pulled out of the bout on January 11 due to an undisclosed reason. He was replaced by Cody Stamann.
|Light Heavyweight||Jon Jones (c)||def.||Anthony Smith||Decision (unanimous) (48–44, 48–44, 48–44)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Welterweight||Kamaru Usman||def.||Tyron Woodley (c)||Decision (unanimous) (50–44, 50–44, 50–45)||5||5:00||[b]|
|Welterweight||Ben Askren||def.||Robbie Lawler||Technical Submission (bulldog choke)||1||3:20|
|Women's Strawweight||Zhang Weili||def.||Tecia Torres||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Pedro Munhoz||def.||Cody Garbrandt||KO (punches)||1||4:51|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Featherweight||Zabit Magomedsharipov||def.||Jeremy Stephens||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Johnny Walker||def.||Misha Cirkunov||TKO (flying knee and punches)||1||0:36|
|Bantamweight||Cody Stamann||def.||Alejandro Pérez||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Diego Sanchez||def.||Mickey Gall||TKO (punches)||2||4:13|
|Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Middleweight||Edmen Shahbazyan||def.||Charles Byrd||TKO (elbows and punches)||1||0:38|
|Women's Bantamweight||Macy Chiasson||def.||Gina Mazany||TKO (punches)||1||1:49|
|Women's Strawweight||Hannah Cifers||def.||Polyana Viana||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Pedro Munhoz vs. Cody Garbrandt
- Performance of the Night: Johnny Walker and Diego Sanchez
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payroll for the event was $3,334,000.
- Jon Jones: $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Anthony Smith: $350,000
- Kamaru Usman: $350,000 (no win bonus) def. Tyron Woodley: $500,000
- Ben Askren: $350,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus) def. Robbie Lawler: $200,000
- Zhang Weili: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Tecia Torres: $36,000
- Pedro Munhoz: $96,000 (includes $48,000 win bonus) def. Cody Garbrandt: $130,000
- Zabit Magomedsharipov: $110,000 (includes $55,000 win bonus) def. Jeremy Stephens: $67,000
- Johnny Walker: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus) def. Misha Cirkunov: $45,000
- Cody Stamann: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Alejandro Perez: $42,000
- Diego Sanchez: $198,000 (includes $99,000 win bonus) def. Mickey Gall: $30,000
- Edmen Shahbazyan: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Charles Byrd: $12,000
- Macy Chiasson: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Gina Mazany: $14,000
- Hannah Cifers: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Polyana Viana: $12,000
- Staff (2019-03-03). "UFC 235 draws announced 14,790 attendance for $4 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- Staff (2018-11-04). "UFC announces 2019 first quarter schedule: ESPN debut Jan. 19 in Brooklyn". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Steven Marrocco (2019-01-06). "Jon Jones set to defend title vs. Anthony Smith at UFC 235". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-01-07.
- Mike Bohn (2019-01-06). "Tyron Woodley set to defend title vs. Kamaru Usman – not Colby Covington – at UFC 235". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-01-07.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-12-13). "Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler rescheduled for UFC 235". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Mike Bohn (2019-01-31). "Ex-champ Holly Holm vs. Aspen Ladd removed from UFC 235". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-01-31). "Following Holm vs. Ladd now also Thomas Almeida vs. Marlon Vera canceled" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-02-02). "Frankie Saenz takes a short notice battle against Marlon Vera during UFC 235 in Las Vegas" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- Staff (2019-02-27). "Vera vs. Saenz scratched from UFC 235". ufc.com. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- Staff (2019-02-10). "Ovince Saint Preux out of UFC 235 fight with Misha Cirkunov". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-02-12). "Johnny Walker replaces Ovince Saint Preux vs. Misha Cirkunov at UFC 235". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- Mike Heck (2019-02-10). "Cody Stamann: 'I'm going to beat the s—t out of' Alejandro Perez". mymmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- "UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Staff (2019-03-03). "UFC 235 bonuses: Johnny Walker, Diego Sanchez among $50,000 winners". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- Staff (2019-03-03). "UFC 235 salaries: Jones and Woodley score $500k, Usman and Smith grab $350k". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-03.