|UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2|
The poster for UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 17, 2019|
UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2 is an upcoming mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that is planned to take place on August 17, 2019 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, United States.
A UFC Heavyweight Championship rematch between current champion Daniel Cormier and former champion Stipe Miocic is expected to serve as the event's headliner. The pairing met previously at UFC 226 on July 7 2018, when then UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Cormier knocked out Miocic in the first round to capture the heavyweight title.
A middleweight bout between former UFC Middleweight Championship challenger Yoel Romero and Paulo Costa has been scheduled for the event. The pairing was previously scheduled to take place at UFC 230, at UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw and again at UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson but was scrapped each time for various reasons.
A lightweight bout was scheduled between John Makdessi and Devonte Smith for the event. However, it was reported on July 30 that Makdessi was forced to withdraw for undisclosed reasons. Returning veteran Clay Collard was briefly linked as the replacement. In turn, Collard was removed from the bout during the week leading up to the event due to an undisclosed medical issue. Smith will now face promotional newcomer Khama Worthy.
A flyweight bout was scheduled between Maryna Moroz and Poliana Botelho for the event. However, it was reported on August 1 that Moroz was forced to pull from the event citing injury. In early August, Botelho announced via social media that she was no longer participating in the event.
The bout between Manny Bermudez and Casey Kenney was originally scheduled to take place at bantamweight. However, the UFC decided to move the bout to a catchweight bout of 140 lbs. due to the fighters cutting substantial weight the night before weigh-ins.
|Fight Card (ESPN+)|
|Heavyweight||Daniel Cormier (c)||vs.||Stipe Miocic||[a]|
|Welterweight||Anthony Pettis||vs.||Nate Diaz|
|Middleweight||Yoel Romero||vs.||Paulo Costa|
|Featherweight||Gabriel Benítez||vs.||Sodiq Yusuff|
|Middleweight||Derek Brunson||vs.||Ian Heinisch|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Lightweight||Devonte Smith||vs.||Khama Worthy|
|Bantamweight||Raphael Assunção||vs.||Cory Sandhagen|
|Lightweight||Christos Giagos||vs.||Drakkar Klose|
|Catchweight (140 lbs.)||Manny Bermudez||vs.||Casey Kenney|
|Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Women's Strawweight||Hannah Cifers||vs.||Jodie Esquibel|
|Bantamweight||Kyung Ho Kang||vs.||Brandon Davis|
|Women's Flyweight||Sabina Mazo||vs.||Shana Dobson|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
- Mike Bohn (2019-05-01). "Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 2 targeted for August after Dana White says Brock Lesnar retired". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- Newswire (2019-05-12). "UFC announces dates for third, fourth quarter of 2019, including returns to Sacramento, San Antonio, Mexico City". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- Jose Youngs (2019-05-04). "Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 2 official for UFC 241 in Anaheim". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- Adam Hill (2018-07-07). "Daniel Cormier ends Stipe Miocic's title reign at UFC 226". reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2019-08-13.
- Jesse Holland (2019-05-07). "Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa rebooked for UFC 241 in Anaheim". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- John Morgan (2019-07-30). "John Makdessi out at UFC 241, promotion seeking replacement opponent for Devonte Smith". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Mike Bohn (2019-08-05). "Clay Collard replaces John Makdessi vs. Devonte Smith at UFC 241". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-05.
- Nolan King (2019-08-13). "Devonte Smith gets third opponent, draws promotional newcomer Khama Worthy at UFC 241". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-13.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-07-31). "Maryna Moroz out of UFC 241 fight with Poliana Botelho". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-08-01). "Poliana Botelho removed from UFC 241 card after Maryna Moroz injury". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Cole Shelton (2019-08-16). "UFC 241 Bout Gets A Change In Weight Class". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-08-16.
- "UFC 241". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
|This article related to mixed martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|