|UFC 48: Payback|
The poster for UFC 48: Payback.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 19, 2004|
|Venue||Mandalay Bay Events Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Attendance||10,000 (Paid: 6,528)|
UFC 48: Payback was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on June 19, 2004, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The event was broadcast live on pay-per-view in the United States, and was later released on DVD.
The featured contestants of the evening were Ken Shamrock and Kimo Leopoldo, who had met once before in 1996 in a UFC title fight at UFC 8, with Shamrock reigning victorious. The event was very successful, as it drew more pay per view buys than the highly anticipated match between Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz one event earlier at UFC 47.
|Heavyweight||Ken Shamrock||def.||Kimo Leopoldo||KO (knee)||1||1:26|
|Welterweight||Frank Trigg||def.||Dennis Hallman||TKO (punches)||1||4:15|
|Heavyweight||Frank Mir||def.||Tim Sylvia||Technical Submission (armbar)||1||0:50||[a]|
|Welterweight||Matt Hughes||def.||Renato Verissimo||Decision (unanimous)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Evan Tanner||def.||Phil Baroni||Decision (unanimous)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Matt Serra||def.||Ivan Menjivar||Decision (unanimous)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Trevor Prangley||def.||Curtis Stout||Submission (neck crank)||2||1:05|
|Welterweight||Georges St-Pierre||def.||Jay Hieron||TKO (punches)||1||1:42||[b]|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Referee Herb Dean called a stop to the bout when he noticed a break in Sylvia's arm which appeared to Sylvia and the audience as an early stoppage; it was later revealed that Sylvia had indeed suffered multiple fractures to his right forearm.
- Hieron was a late replacement for Jason "Mayhem" Miller, who had withdrawn from the card due to ongoing legal problems.
The total fighter payroll for UFC 48 was $586,000.
- Ken Shamrock: $170,000 ($120,000 to fight; $50,000 to win)
- Matt Hughes: $110,000 ($55,000 to fight; $55,000 to win)
- Frank Mir: $90,000 ($60,000 to fight; $30,000 to win)
- Kimo Leopoldo: $55,000
- Tim Sylvia: $40,000
- Evan Tanner: $30,000 ($15,000 to fight; $15,000 to win)
- Phil Baroni: $20,000
- Frank Trigg: $20,000 ($10,000 to fight; $10,000 to win)
- Matt Serra: $16,000 ($8,000 to fight; $8,000 to win)
- Renato Verissimo: $10,000
- Georges St-Pierre: $8,000 ($4,000 to fight; $4,000 to win)
- Trevor Prangley: $5,000 ($2,500 to fight; $2,500 to win)
- Dennis Hallman: $4,000
- Curtis Stout: $3,000
- Jay Hieron: $3,000
- Ivan Menjivar: $2,000
- "UFC 48: Payback". Tapology.com. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- Gross, Josh (2004-06-19). "Sylvia's Break is Mir's Fortune; Shamrock KO's Kimo". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- Trembow, Ivan (2004-10-17). "Full Breakdown of Fighter Salaries for UFC 46, UFC 47, UFC 48, and UFC 49". MMAWeekly.com. Ivan's Blog. Retrieved 2012-10-20.