|UFC 51: Super Saturday|
The poster for UFC 51: Super Saturday.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||February 5, 2005|
|Venue||Mandalay Bay Events Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Attendance||11,072 (Paid: 9,268)|
UFC 51: Super Saturday was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on February 5, 2005 (Super Bowl weekend) at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The event was broadcast live on pay-per-view in the United States and Canada, and later released on DVD.
Loretta Hunt, news editor for Sherdog.com, reports, "I know for a fact the UFC was considering a female bout between Erica Montoya and the late Shelby Walker a few years ago." About this planned but never realized fight, "Big Dog" Benny Henderson Jr. asked Shelby Walker, "It has been rumored that you may fight Erika Montoya at UFC 51, is there any truth to those rumors?" Walker replied, "Yeah there is truth to those rumors, it has been talked about a lot and when I asked Dana White if he was going to put us on the show he said possibly, so that is where it stands right now. I haven’t heard anything more from this but my biggest dream would be to fight in the UFC."
This was the last UFC event to feature a non-title matchup as the main event instead of an also-scheduled title fight on the same card. All future UFC events with title matches featured one as the main event until UFC 196.
|Light Heavyweight||Tito Ortiz||def.||Vitor Belfort||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Pete Sell||def.||Phil Baroni||Submission (guillotine choke)||3||4:19|
|Heavyweight||Andrei Arlovski||def.||Tim Sylvia||Submission (achilles lock)||1||0:47||[a]|
|Middleweight||Evan Tanner||def.||David Terrell||TKO (punches)||1||4:35||[b]|
|Heavyweight||Paul Buentello||def.||Justin Eilers||KO (punch)||1||3:34|
|Heavyweight||Mike Kyle||def.||James Irvin||KO (punch)||1||1:55||[c]|
|Middleweight||David Loiseau||def.||Gideon Ray||TKO (doctor stoppage)||1||5:00|
|Welterweight||Karo Parisyan||def.||Chris Lytle||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Nick Diaz||def.||Drew Fickett||TKO (punches)||1||4:40|
- For the interim UFC Heavyweight Championship. Arlovski becomes the Interim Heavyweight champion. The title is an interim championship due to the UFC Heavyweight Champion, Frank Mir, being seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and not able to defend the title against No. 1 contender, Andrei Arlovski.
- For the UFC Middleweight Championship. Tanner becomes the UFC Middleweight champion filling the vacant title, and the first Middleweight champion since 2002.
- Although preliminary, this bout aired on the pay-per-view broadcast.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-07-17. Retrieved 2006-07-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Sherdog.com Staff, "The Doggy Bag: Readers Write, We Respond", Sherdog.com (November 30, 2008).
- "Big Dog" Benny Henderson Jr, "Shelby Walker: Not just another pretty face", DogHouseBoxing.com (January 21, 2005).