|UFC 77: Hostile Territory|
The poster for UFC 77: Hostile Territory.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 20, 2007|
|Venue||U.S. Bank Arena|
UFC 77: Hostile Territory was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). The event took place on Saturday, October 20, 2007 at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The main event featured Anderson Silva defending his Middleweight Championship against former champion Rich Franklin in a rematch of their October 2006 meeting at UFC 64, which Silva won by technical knockout. The name "Hostile Territory" came from the defense of Anderson Silva's UFC middleweight title against Cincinnati native Rich Franklin.
The scores for the Black vs. Grice match were initially announced as 29–28 for Black, 29–28 for Grice, and 28–28, and the bout was ruled a split draw. An announcement was then made in the arena that the scores had been miscalculated and Grice was awarded the victory.
|Main card (PPV)|
|Middleweight||Anderson Silva (c)||def.||Rich Franklin||TKO (knees)||2||1:07||[a]|
|Heavyweight||Tim Sylvia||def.||Brandon Vera||Decision (unanimous) (29–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Alvin Robinson||def.||Jorge Gurgel||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–27, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Stephan Bonnar||def.||Eric Schafer||TKO (punches)||2||2:47|
|Middleweight||Alan Belcher||def.||Kalib Starnes||TKO (doctor stoppage)||2||1:39|
|Middleweight||Yushin Okami||def.||Jason MacDonald||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Demian Maia||def.||Ryan Jensen||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:40||[b]|
|Welterweight||Josh Burkman||def.||Forrest Petz||Decision (split) (29–28, 29–28, 28–29)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Matt Grice||def.||Jason Black||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Middleweight Championship.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Silva vs. Franklin fight.
At the end of this event, $40,000 was awarded to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Fight of the Night: Matt Grice vs. Jason Black
- Knockout of the Night: Anderson Silva
- Submission of the Night: Demian Maia
- "MMAPayout.com Blue Book". MMAPayout.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Stupp, Dann (July 16, 2007). "Liddell vs. Silva on ... then off ... then on again (maybe)". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 2007-08-10.
- Curtis, Tim (August 14, 2007). "UFC coming to Cincinnati". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved 2007-08-15.
- Arias, Carlos (August 22, 2007). "Can GSP bounce back?". Orange County Register. Retrieved 2007-08-23.
- "UFC signs former WWE star Brock Lesnar". 411mania.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2007-10-20.
- UFC Roundup: Post-UFC 77 News and Notes | MMAFrenzy.com