|UFC 79: Nemesis|
A poster or logo for UFC 79: Nemesis.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 29, 2007|
|Venue||Mandalay Bay Events Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Attendance||11,075 (10,968 paid)|
The main events featured the long anticipated fight between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, as well as the highly anticipated rubber match between former UFC Welterweight Champions Georges St-Pierre and Matt Hughes for the interim Welterweight championship.
The main event was originally schedule to have The Ultimate Fighter 6 coaches Matt Serra and Matt Hughes for Serra's UFC Welterweight Championship, which Serra won at UFC 69: Shootout on April 7, 2007 in an upset victory over Georges St-Pierre. Serra, however, withdrew from the fight due to a back injury, Serra was replaced by St-Pierre, though the fight would now be contested for the Interim Welterweight Championship, with the winner facing Serra afterwards.
|Welterweight||Georges St-Pierre||def.||Matt Hughes||Verbal Submission (armbar)||2||4:54||[a]|
|Light Heavyweight||Chuck Liddell||def.||Wanderlei Silva||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Eddie Sanchez||def.||Soa Palelei||TKO (punches)||3||3:24|
|Light Heavyweight||Lyoto Machida||def.||Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||4:20|
|Lightweight||Rich Clementi||def.||Melvin Guillard||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:40|
|Light Heavyweight||James Irvin||def.||Luiz Cane||Disqualification (illegal knee)||1||1:51|
|Lightweight||Manvel Gamburyan||def.||Nate Mohr||Submission (ankle lock)||1||1:31||[b]|
|Middleweight||Dean Lister||def.||Jordan Radev||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Roan Carneiro||def.||Tony DeSouza||TKO (punches)||2||3:33|
|Lightweight||Mark Bocek||def.||Doug Evans||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the Interim Welterweight Championship.
- This bout was aired on the broadcast following the St-Pierre vs Hughes bout.
At the end of this event, $50,000 was awarded to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Fight of the Night: Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
- Knockout of the Night: Eddie Sanchez
- Submission of the Night: Georges St-Pierre
- "UFC 79: Nemesis features Serra vs Hughes on December 29th". UFC.com. October 17, 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- "Finally, Two Legends Meet". ufc.com. October 24, 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "BREAKING NEWS: Matt Fighting Georges St-Pierre at UFC 79!". ufc.com. November 24, 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-11-26. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- Gerbasi, Thomas (November 15, 2007). "UFC Inks Sokoudjou; "The African Assassin" to Debut vs Machida at UFC 79". ufc.com. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Serra Injured, Withdraws From UFC 79 Card". ufc.com. November 22, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-22.
- Stupp, Dan (December 30, 2007). "UFC Issues $200,000 in UFC 79 Bonuses". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2007-12-30.