|UFC 85: Bedlam|
The poster for UFC 85: Bedlam.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 7, 2008|
|Venue||The O2 Arena|
|City||London, United Kingdom|
The card was plagued by a number of injuries sustained by scheduled fighters, forcing the UFC to rework the card several times. Originally, the main event was to be between light heavyweights Chuck Liddell and Mauricio Rua; however, Rua required surgery on an injured knee and could not compete. Rashad Evans then replaced Rua in the main event with Liddell, but Liddell was forced to withdraw from the card due to a hamstring injury. The UFC then named James Irvin as Liddell's replacement to fight Evans, but Irvin sustained a foot injury that forced him to pull out. Evans was then removed from the card as well.
In other changes, a Jonathan Goulet and Paul Kelly match was cancelled when Goulet dropped out citing a lack of training time, followed by Kelly withdrawing before his opponent could be named because of an injury sustained in practice.
Due to legal problems which resulted in a lack of time to prepare for his fight with Michael Bisping, Chris Leben was forced to withdraw from the card and the UFC announced Jason Day would face Bisping.
|Main card (PPV)|
|Catchweight (174 lbs)||Thiago Alves||def.||Matt Hughes||TKO (flying knee and strikes)||2||1:02|
|Middleweight||Michael Bisping||def.||Jason Day||TKO (punches)||1||3:42|
|Welterweight||Mike Swick||def.||Marcus Davis||Decision (unanimous) (29–27, 29–27, 29–27)||3||5:00||[a]|
|Middleweight||Thales Leites||def.||Nate Marquardt||Decision (split) (28–27, 27–28, 28–27)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Heavyweight||Fabrício Werdum||def.||Brandon Vera||TKO (punches)||1||4:40|
|Middleweight||Martin Kampmann||def.||Jorge Rivera||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||2:44|
|Lightweight||Matt Wiman||def.||Thiago Tavares||KO (punches)||2||1:57|
|Welterweight||Kevin Burns||def.||Roan Carneiro||Submission (triangle choke)||2||3:50|
|Light Heavyweight||Luiz Cane||def.||Jason Lambert||TKO (punches)||1||2:07|
|Welterweight||Paul Taylor||def.||Jess Liaudin||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Antoni Hardonk||def.||Eddie Sanchez||TKO (punches)||2||4:15|
- Swick had 1 point deducted in round 3 for holding the cage.
- Marquardt had 2 points deducted during the fight, one in round 2 (illegal knee to the head of a downed opponent) and the other in round 3 (elbow to the back of the head).
At the end of this event, the UFC awarded $50,000 to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Fight of the Night: Matt Wiman vs. Thiago Tavares
- Knockout of the Night: Thiago Alves
- Submission of the Night: Kevin Burns
- Dave Deibert (2008-06-07). "Thiago Alves beats Matt Hughes at UFC 85". The Vancouver Sun. Archived from the original on 2014-10-30.
- "UFC Returns To London". UFC.com. 2008-03-06. Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2008-03-04). "Rua Re-Injures Knee, will undergo Surgery". UFC.com. Archived from the original on 2008-03-05.
- Foster, Eric (April 21, 2008). "Chuck Liddell Injured, Out of UFC 85". MMA Junkie. Archived from the original on September 15, 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- Stupp, Dann (2008-05-27). "Kevin Burns expected to replace Ryo Chonan at UFC 85". Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- Stupp, Dann (2008-05-28). "Another UFC 85 change: Eddie Sanchez replaces Neil Wain". Archived from the original on 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- Alves, Burns, Wiman and Tavares earn $50K UFC 85 bonuses | MMAjunkie.com Archived 2012-07-11 at Archive.today