UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw
|UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 19, 2019|
|City||Brooklyn, New York|
UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw (also known as UFC on ESPN+ 1 or UFC Fight Night 143) is an upcoming mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that will be held on January 19, 2019 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, United States.
Initially, the promotion was planning a UFC Flyweight Championship bout between 2008 Olympic gold medalist in freestyle wrestling and current champion Henry Cejudo and current two-time UFC Bantamweight Champion T.J. Dillashaw to headline this event. If successful, Dillashaw will become the third man to be champion in two divisions simultaneously (after Conor McGregor at UFC 205 and Daniel Cormier at UFC 226). According to sources, the promotion is expected to dissolve the flyweight division at some point within 2019. The pairing was initially expected to take place at UFC 233 a week later, but was moved on December 5.
A women's flyweight bout between Rachael Ostovich and Paige VanZant was originally canceled on November 20 due to Ostovich being assaulted by her husband, resulting in a broken orbital bone. However after getting a second opinion from a doctor, though, Ostovich got the green light to stay in the bout. After announcing that former NFL player Greg Hardy would make his UFC debut at this event, the decision to put him on the same card as Ostovich was met with backlash by many people as Hardy was found guilty of assaulting an ex-girlfriend, and sentenced to 18 months probation as well as being suspended for 10 games by the NFL. The charges and suspension were later dropped after the victim failed to appear in court to testify, but Hardy's arrest and trial were the focus of considerable controversy. UFC president Dana White later claimed that Ostovich was "totally cool" with Hardy on the same card as her.
A women's flyweight bout between KSW Women's Flyweight Champion and promotional newcomer Ariane Lipski and Joanne Calderwood was initially scheduled for UFC 233. However, it was reported on December 2 that the bout had been rescheduled for this event instead.
|Flyweight||Henry Cejudo (c)||vs.||T.J. Dillashaw||[a]|
|Women's Flyweight||Paige VanZant||vs.||Rachael Ostovich|
|Welterweight||Belal Muhammad||vs.||Geoff Neal|
|Light Heavyweight||Glover Teixeira||vs.||Ion Cuțelaba|
|Light Heavyweight||Alonzo Menifield||vs.||Vinicius Castro|
|Welterweight||Randy Brown||vs.||Chance Rencountre|
|Women's Flyweight||Joanne Calderwood||vs.||Ariane Lipski|
- For the UFC Flyweight Championship.
- Heavyweight bout: Greg Hardy vs. Allen Crowder
- Bantamweight bout: Thomas Almeida vs. Cody Sandhagen
- Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Alexander Hernandez
- Staff (2018-11-04). "UFC announces 2019 first quarter schedule: ESPN debut Jan. 19 in Brooklyn". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- ESPN Newswire (2018-05-23). "ESPN to broadcast 30 UFC events per year during 5-year deal". espn.com. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- Tristen Critchfield (2018-12-05). "Henry Cejudo vs. T.J. Dillashaw moved from UFC 233 to headline UFC debut on ESPN+". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Mookie Alexander (2018-11-07). "UFC will dissolve men's flyweight division, likely by end of 2018". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Staff (2018-11-26). "Henry Cejudo vs. T.J. Dillashaw flyweight title fight official for UFC 233 in Anaheim". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- Damon Martin (2018-11-20). "Rachael Ostovich ruled out of her fight against Paige VanZant". mmanytt.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Staff (2018-11-27). "Second opinion for Rachael Ostovich puts fight with Paige VanZant back on at UFC on ESPN+ 1". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Jim Bradley (2014-07-14). "Panthers' Greg Hardy found guilty on 2 counts of domestic violence". wsoctv.com. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Mike Chiappetta (2018-12-06). "UFC shows spectacular misjudgment placing Greg Hardy on same card as Rachael Ostovich". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Staff (2015-02-09). "Panthers: No change in Greg Hardy status after charges dismissed". wbtv.com. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Steven Marrocco (2018-12-06). "Dana White: Rachael Ostovich 'totally cool' with Greg Hardy on same card at UFC on ESPN+ 1". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Ariel Helwani (2018-11-08). "Joanne Calderwood-Ariane Lipski flyweight fight added to UFC 233". espn.com. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- Drake Riggs (2018-12-03). "Ariane Lipski vs Joanne Calderwood moved from UFC 233 to UFC Brooklyn". bjpenn.com. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-12-05). "Former NFL Defensive End Greg Hardy makes UFC debut against Allen Crowder in Brooklyn". mmadna.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2018-12-05.
- Tristen Critchfield (2018-12-05). "Greg Hardy to share card with Rachael Ostovich for UFC debut in Brooklyn on Jan. 19". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-12-05.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-12-07). "Bantamweight clash between Thomas Almeida and Cory Sandhagen during UFC Brooklyn". mmadna.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Mike Bohn (2018-12-08). "Donald Cerrone meets Alexander Hernandez in return to lightweight for ESPN featured bout Jan. 19". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-12-08.