UFC Fight Night: Andrade vs. Zhang
|UFC Fight Night: Andrade vs. Zhang|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Andrade vs. Zhang.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 31, 2019|
|Venue||Shenzhen Universade Sports Centre Arena|
UFC Fight Night: Andrade vs. Zhang (also known as UFC Fight Night 157 or UFC on ESPN+ 15) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on August 31, 2019 at Shenzhen Universiade Sports Centre Arena in Shenzhen, China.
The event marked the promotion's first visit to Shenzhen.
A flyweight bout between Luana Carolina and Wu Yanan had been rescheduled and was expected to take place at the event. The pairing was first scheduled to take place at UFC 237. However, Wu pulled out of the bout due to injury and was replaced by Priscila Cachoeira. In turn, Luana suffered from a fractured spine and was forced to pull out of the event. She was replaced by Mizuki Inoue. At the weigh-ins, Wu weighed in at 129 pounds, 3 pounds over the flyweight non-title fight limit of 126. As a result, she was fined 30 percent of her purse and the bout proceeded at a catchweight.
A welterweight bout between Li Jingliang and Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos was initially scheduled to take place in November 2018 at UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Ngannou 2. However, Santos pulled out of the contest due to a knee injury and was replaced by David Zawada. The pairing was rescheduled for this event.
A light heavyweight bout between Saparbek Safarov and Da Un Jung was scheduled for the event. However, on August 5, it was announced that Safarov withdrew from the event due to undisclosed reasons and he was replaced by Jamahal Hill. In turn, Hill was forced to withdraw from the card due to visa issues. Jung instead faced Khadis Ibragimov.
A featherweight bout between Movsar Evloev and Mike Grundy was scheduled for the event. However, on August 19, it was reported that Grundy was forced to pull out of the event citing injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Lu Zhenhong. The pairing met previously in 2015 under M-1 Global with Evloev winning a decision. Subsequently, the bout was scrapped from the event as Lu suffered a cut during a sparring session after the weigh-ins and was ruled out of the fight by medical personnel.
|Fight Card (ESPN+)|
|Women's Strawweight||Zhang Weili||def.||Jéssica Andrade (c)||TKO (knees and punches)||1||0:42||[a]|
|Welterweight||Li Jingliang||def.||Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos||TKO (punches)||3||4:51|
|Flyweight||Kai Kara-France||def.||Mark De La Rosa||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Song Kenan||def.||Derrick Krantz||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (129 lb)||Mizuki Inoue||def.||Wu Yanan||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Middleweight||Anthony Hernandez||def.||Jun Yong Park||Submission (anaconda choke)||2||4:39|
|Bantamweight||Su Mudaerji||def.||Andre Soukhamthath||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–25)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Da Un Jung||def.||Khadis Ibragimov||Submission (standing guillotine choke)||3||2:00|
|Lightweight||Damir Ismagulov||def.||Thiago Moisés||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Heili Alateng||def.||Danaa Batgerel||Decision (unanimous) (29–27, 29–27, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Karol Rosa||def.||Lara Fritzen Procópio||Decision (split) (28–29, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Women's Strawweight Championship.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Heili Alateng vs. Danaa Batgerel
- Performance of the Night: Zhang Weili and Li Jingliang
- FIGHT SPORTS. "UFC Shenzhen: Attendance, Gate, Bonuses". fightsports.tv. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- Staff (2019-06-19). "UFC continues China expansion with historic milestones". ufc.com. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- Tristan Critchfield. "UFC to hold debut event in Shenzhen, China, on Aug. 31". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- Staff (2019-06-19). "Jessica Andrade defends title against Weili Zhang during UFC Shenzhen's Main Event". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-06-19. (in Dutch)
- Raphael Marinho (2019-06-06). "After a debut with victory, Luana Dread faces Wu Yanan at the UFC in China on August 31". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- Raphael Marinho. "Chinese hurt, and Luana Dread faces Priscila Pedrita at UFC Rio 10". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-04-23. (in Portuguese)
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-07-29). "Fractured spine knocks Luana Carolina out of UFC Shenzhen bout with Yanan Wu". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Newswire (2019-08-02). "Invicta FC vet "Mizuki" steps in, faces Wu Yanan at UFC Shenzhen". realfight.ph. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Cole Shelton (2019-08-30). "UFC Fight Night 157 weigh-in results: title fight set; one misses weight". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-11-01). "David Zawada tackles short notice party against Li Jingliang during UFC Beijing". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-11-01. (in Dutch)
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-10-27). "Knee injury forces Elizeu Zaleski out of UFC Beijing". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-10-27.
- Farah Hannoun (2019-07-10). "Li Jingliang vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos added to UFC on ESPN+ 15 in China". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- Nolan King (2019-08-02). "Fresh off of DWCS victory, Jamahal Hill steps in to fight Da Un Jung at UFC on ESPN+ 15". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- Redactie. "Cancellations for both UFC Shenzhen and UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi". mmadna.com. Retrieved 2019-08-19. (in Dutch)
- Staff (2019-08-21). "Russian fighter Ibragimov set for UFC debut in China against South Korea's Da Un Jung". tass.com. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- Redactie. "UFC Shenzhen loses another fight after canceling Mike Grundy". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-08-20. (in Dutch)
- Redactie. "Zhenhong Lu gets a rematch against Movsar Evloev in Shenzhen after Mike Grundy fails". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-08-24. (in Dutch)
- Staff (2019-08-30). "Zhenhong Lu ruled out of UFC on ESPN+ 15 fight vs. Movsar Evloev". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "UFC Fight Night: Andrade vs. Zhang". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- Staff (2019-08-03). "UFC on ESPN+ 15 bonuses: Weili Zhang, Li Jingliang get no-brainer $50,000 checks". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-31.