UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré
|UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 16, 2019|
|Venue||Ginásio do Ibirapuera|
|City||São Paulo, Brazil|
UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré (also known as UFC Fight Night 164 and UFC on ESPN+ 22) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on November 16, 2019 at Ginásio do Ibirapuera in São Paulo, Brazil.
A light heavyweight bout between Antônio Rogério Nogueira and Trevor Smith was scheduled for the event. However, Nogueira was forced to pull out of the event due to injury, resulting in the cancellation of the bout. Smith was then expected to face Makhmud Muradov at UFC on ESPN: Overeem vs. Rozenstruik.
Leah Letson was expected to face Duda Santana at the event. However, Letson was removed from the bout in late September for undisclosed reasons. Instead, Santana was expected to face promotional newcomer Tracy Cortez. However, Santana then withdrew from the bout and was replaced by Vanessa Melo.
Kevin Holland was scheduled to face promotional newcomer Antonio Arroyo at the event. However, promotion officials elected to remove Holland from the bout in favor of a matchup a month earlier at UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Weidman. In turn, Trevin Giles, then Alessio Di Chirico were briefly linked as replacements to face Arroyo. Instead, Arroyo fought fellow newcomer Andre Muniz.
Sam Alvey was scheduled to face former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Maurício Rua at the event. However, Alvey was removed from the fight on October 25 due to a broken hand. Instead, Rua fought Paul Craig.
A flyweight bout between former KSW Women's Flyweight Champion Ariane Lipski and Priscila Cachoeira was scheduled to take place at the event. However, upon testing positive for a diuretic and being pulled from the event, Cachoeira was replaced by Veronica Macedo. In turn, Macedo was not cleared to fight by CABMMA due to severe headaches one day before the event and she was replaced by newcomer Isabella de Pádua. At the weigh-ins, de Pádua weighed in at 130.5 pounds, 4.5 pounds over the flyweight non-title fight limit of 126 pounds. The bout proceeded at a catchweight. As a result of missing weight, de Pádua was fined 30% of her purse, which went to Lipski.
At the weigh-ins, Tracy Cortez and her opponent Vanessa Melo both missed weight for their fight. Cortez and Melo both weighed in at 136.5 pounds, 0.5 pounds over the bantamweight non-title fight limit of 136 pounds. The bout would initially proceed at a catchweight and no fine was issued due to identical misses. However, later on the same day, CABMMA executive director Cristiano Sampaio announced that due to an error of the scale used at the weigh-ins, which was set was 0.7 pounds above the official scale, Cortez and Melo were officially clear from missing weight and thus the bout proceeded at bantamweight.
|Fight Card (ESPN+)|
|Light Heavyweight||Jan Błachowicz||def.||Ronaldo Souza||Decision (split) (48–47, 47–48, 48–47)||5||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Maurício Rua||vs.||Paul Craig||Draw (split) (29–28, 28–29, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Charles Oliveira||def.||Jared Gordon||TKO (punches)||1||1:26|
|Middleweight||Andre Muniz||def.||Antonio Arroyo||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Wellington Turman||def.||Markus Perez||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN+)|
|Welterweight||James Krause||def.||Sérgio Moraes||KO (punches)||3||4:19|
|Featherweight||Ricardo Ramos||def.||Luiz Eduardo Garagorri||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:57|
|Lightweight||Francisco Trinaldo||def.||Bobby Green||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Randy Brown||def.||Warlley Alves||Submission (triangle choke)||2||1:22|
|Featherweight||Douglas Silva de Andrade||def.||Renan Barão||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (130.5 Ibs)||Ariane Lipski||def.||Isabella de Pádua||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 29–27)||3||5:00||[a]|
|Women's Bantamweight||Tracy Cortez||def.||Vanessa Melo||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- de Pádua was deducted a point in round 2 due to an illegal upkick.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: No bonus awarded.
- Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira, James Krause, Ricardo Ramos and Randy Brown
- Jon Fuentes (2019-11-16). "UFC São Paulo bonuses, attendance & gate". lowkickmma.com. Retrieved 2019-11-16.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-07-08). "UFC announces fourth quarter schedule for 2019". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2019-09-13). "Blachowicz vs. Jacare to headline UFC Sao Paulo". ufc.com. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Dave Doyle (2019-09-10). "Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza vs. Jan Blachowicz headlines UFC on ESPN+ 22". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-09-10.
- Marcelo Barone. "Ultimate gets closer to book fight between Rogério Minotouro and Trevor Smith to UFC São Paulo". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-09-25. (in Portuguese)
- Redactie. "Undefeated Alonzo Menifield meets Trevor Smith during UFC Washington". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-09-25. (in Dutch)
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-09-26). "Leah Letson out of UFC Sao Paulo bout against Duda Santana". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- Nolan King and John Morgan (2019-09-27). "After earning contract on DWCS, Tracy Cortez to debut vs. Duda Santana at UFC on ESPN+ 22". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-09-27.
- Nolan King (2019-09-30). "Kevin Holland shifts from Brazil to Boston, steps in vs. Brendan Allen at UFC on ESPN 6". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-10-01.
- Marcelo Barone (2019-10-02). "UFC sets Trevin Giles as Kevin Holland's replacement in the fight against Antonio Arroyo in São Paulo". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-10-03. (in Portuguese)
- Redactie (2019-10-10). "Alessio Di Chirico tackles short notice fight against Antonio Arroyo during UFC São Paulo". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-10-11. (in Dutch)
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-10-24). "Andre Muniz steps in to fight Antonio Arroyo at UFC Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Redactie (2019-10-12). "Wellington Turman replaces Jack Marshman against Markus Perez during UFC São Paulo". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-10-12. (in Dutch)
- Staff (2019-10-27). "Sam Alvey: Broken hand behind 'heartbreaking' withdrawal vs. 'Shogun' Rua at UFC on ESPN+ 22". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-10-28.
- Guilherme (2019-10-29). "'Shogun' Rua vs. Paul Craig announced for UFC Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Alexander K Lee (2019-11-06). "Veronica Macedo steps in to fight Ariane Lipski at UFC Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-11-07.
- Farah Hannoun (2019-11-15). "Ariane Lipski gets new opponent for UFC Sao Paulo after Veronica Macedo forced to withdraw". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Staff (2019-11-15). "UFC São Paulo weigh-in results: main event official". cagesidepress.com. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-11-15). "Commission: Tracy Cortez, Vanessa Melo did not miss weight for UFC São Paulo, error due to scale issue". mmafghting.com. Retrieved 2019-11-16.
- "UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Souza". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-11-12.