UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo
|UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||February 29, 2020|
|City||Norfolk, Virginia, United States|
UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo (also known as UFC Fight Night 169 and UFC on ESPN+ 27) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on February 29, 2020 at Chartway Arena in Norfolk, Virginia, United States.
A UFC Flyweight Championship bout for the vacant title between former title challenger Joseph Benavidez and Deiveson Figueiredo served as the event headliner. Multi-divisional champion Henry Cejudo announced on December 19, 2019 that he would be relinquishing the flyweight title and concentrate on competing solely in the bantamweight division.
A featherweight bout between Chas Skelly and Grant Dawson was scheduled to take place at UFC 246, but Dawson was forced to withdraw from the bout. The pairing was then rescheduled for this event. In turn, it was reported on February 7 that Skelly was injured during one of his training sessions and therefore forced to withdraw from the fight. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Darrick Minner.
A featherweight bout between Steven Peterson and Aalon Cruz was scheduled to take place at the event. However, Peterson was pulled from the event for an unknown reason and replaced by promotional newcomer Spike Carlyle.
A featherweight bout between Mike Davis and Giga Chikadze expected to take place at this event was cancelled after Davis pulled out due to an undisclosed injury. In turn, promotion officials elected to remove Chikadze from the card due to being unable to find a replacement and scheduled him to face Jamall Emmers at UFC 248, replacing an injured Movsar Evloev.
A lightweight bout between Luis Peña and Alexander Muñoz was scheduled to take place at the event. However, it was announced on February 23 that Muñoz had pulled out due to injury. He was replaced by Steve Garcia.
At the weigh-ins, Figueiredo came in at 127.5 pounds, 2.5 pounds over the flyweight title fight limit of 125 pounds. As a result, he was ineligible to win the championship, while Benavidez remained eligible if he won. Figueiredo was fined 30% of his purse, which went to Benavidez and the bout proceeded as scheduled at a catchweight. Dawson also failed to make weight, coming in at 149.5 pounds, 3.5 pounds over the featherweight non-title fight limit of 146 pounds. He was also fined 30% of his fight purse, which went to Minner and the bout proceeded at a catchweight.
|Main card (ESPN+)|
|Catchweight (127.5 lb)||Deiveson Figueiredo||def.||Joseph Benavidez||TKO (punches)||2||1:54||[a]|
|Women's Featherweight||Felicia Spencer||def.||Zarah Fairn dos Santos||TKO (elbows and punches)||1||3:37|
|Light Heavyweight||Magomed Ankalaev||def.||Ion Cuțelaba||TKO (head kicks and punches)||1||0:38|
|Women's Featherweight||Megan Anderson||def.||Norma Dumont||KO (punch)||1||3:31|
|Catchweight (149.5 lb)||Grant Dawson||def.||Darrick Minner||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||1:38|
|Preliminary card (ESPN+)|
|Bantamweight||Kyler Phillips||def.||Gabriel Silva||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Brendan Allen||def.||Tom Breese||TKO (elbows and punches)||1||4:47|
|Heavyweight||Marcin Tybura||def.||Sergey Spivak||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Luis Peña||def.||Steve Garcia||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Jordan Griffin||def.||T.J. Brown||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||2||3:38|
|Featherweight||Spike Carlyle||def.||Aalon Cruz||TKO (punches)||1||1:25|
|Welterweight||Sean Brady||def.||Ismail Naurdiev||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
- For the vacant UFC Flyweight Championship (only Benavidez was eligible).
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Kyler Phillips vs. Gabriel Silva
- Performance of the Night: Megan Anderson and Jordan Griffin
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Virginia Department of Professional & Occupational Regulation (VDPOR). It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $945,000.
- Deiveson Figueiredo: $105,000 ($50,000 win bonus) def. Joseph Benavidez: $195,000 ^
- Felicia Spencer: $34,000 ($17,000 win bonus) def. Zarah Fairn dos Santos: $10,000
- Magomed Ankalaev: $66,000 ($33,000 win bonus) def. Ion Cuțelaba: $33,000
- Megan Anderson: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus) def. Norma Dumont Viana: $10,000
- Grant Dawson: $23,800 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Darrick Minner: $14,200 >
- Kyler Phillips: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Gabriel Silva: $10,000
- Brendan Allen: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Tom Breese: $10,000
- Marcin Tybura: $136,000 ($68,000 win bonus) def. Sergey Spivak: $14,000
- Luis Peña: $48,000 ($24,000 win bonus) def. Steve Garcia: $10,000
- Jordan Griffin: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. T.J. Brown: $10,000
- Spike Carlyle: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Aalon Cruz: $10,000
- Sean Brady: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Ismail Naurdiev: $16,000
^ Deiveson Figueiredo ($45,000) was fined 30% of his respective purse for failing to make the required weight for his fight against Joseph Benavidez. That money was issued to Benavidez, a VDPOR official confirmed.
> Although not recognized on the official pay sheet, Grant Dawson ($4,200) was fined 30% of his purse for failing to make the required weight for his fight against Darrick Minner. That money was issued to Minner, a VDPOR official confirmed. The VDPOR's initial report did not include information on the penalty.
- Staff (2020-02-29). "UFC on ESPN+ 27 bonuses: Kyler Phillips vs. Gabriel Silva nabs 'Fight of the Night'". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- Staff (2019-12-13). "UFC schedules return to Virginia for Feb. 29 in Norfolk". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Newswire (2019-12-13). "UFC returns to Norfolk, Va. on Feb. 29". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Mike Bohn (2019-12-19). "Henry Cejudo relinquishing UFC flyweight belt; Joseph Benavidez-Deiveson Figueiredo targeted". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-12-20.
- Alexander K. Lee (2019-12-27). "Mickey Gall vs. Alex Oliveira pulled from UFC Norfolk". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- Nolan King (2020-01-14). "Grant Dawson says UFC 246 fight vs. Chas Skelly has been canceled". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- Redactie (2020-01-23). "Chas Skelly vs. Grant Dawson rescheduled, this time for UFC Norfolk". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-01-23.(in Dutch)
- Alexander K. Lee (2020-02-06). "Chas Skelly announces injury withdrawal from UFC Norfolk". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- Nolan King and Farah Hannoun (2020-02-20). "34-fight veteran Darrick Minner to fight Grant Dawson at UFC on ESPN+ 27 on short notice". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- Redactie (2020-02-07). "Spike Carlyle makes debut on short notice against Aalon Cruz during UFC Norfolk". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-02-07. (in Dutch)
- Redactie (2020-02-27). "Giga Chikadze replaces Movsar Evloev against Jamall Emmers during UFC 248 in Las Vegas". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-02-27.(in Dutch)
- Nolan King and John Morgan (2020-02-22). "Alex Munoz forced out at UFC Norfolk, Luis Pena needs new opponent". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-23.
- Nolan King (2020-02-24). "Steve Garcia replaces Alex Munoz, takes on Luis Pena at UFC on ESPN+ 27". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-24.
- Mike Bohn (2020-02-28). "Deiveson Figueiredo misses weight; only Joseph Benavidez eligible for title at UFC on ESPN+ 27". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- Staff (2020-02-28). "UFC on ESPN+ 27 weigh-in results: Two fighters overweight, including a headliner". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2020-02-25.
- "UFC Norfolk bonuses: Megan Anderson, Jordan Griffin earn $50,000 each for impressive finishes". mmafighting.com. 2020-02-29.
- Staff (2020-03-03). "UFC on ESPN+ 27 salaries: How much did Figueiredo, Benavidez take home from Norfolk?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2020-03-03.