UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee
|UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 25, 2017|
|Venue||Chesapeake Energy Arena|
|City||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee (also known as UFC Fight Night 112) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on June 25, 2017, at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
A featherweight bout between former UFC Lightweight and Welterweight Champion B.J. Penn and Dennis Siver took place at this event. The pairing was originally booked for UFC 199. However, the bout was cancelled due to Siver being injured.
Antônio Rogério Nogueira was expected to face Ilir Latifi at the event. However on May 17, it was announced that Nogueira pulled out due to a neck injury. Subsequently, despite having six weeks to secure a replacement opponent, promotion officials elected to remove Latifi from the event entirely.
A featherweight bout between promotional newcomers, Jared Gordon and Michel Quiñones was expected to take place at UFC 211. However, Gordon pulled out of the fight on the day before the event due to stomach illness and as a result, Quiñones was removed from the card. The pairing was rescheduled for this event.
Promotional newcomer Azamat Murzakanov was expected to face Joachim Christensen at the event. However, Murzakanov was removed from the card on June 8 for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by fellow newcomer Dominick Reyes.
At the weigh-ins, former UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks and Jared Gordon missed the required weight for their respective fights, weighing in at 188 lb and 149 lb, respectively. They were both fined 20% of their purse which went to their respective opponents, Tim Boetsch and Michel Quiñones. The bouts proceeded at catchweight.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Lightweight||Kevin Lee||def.||Michael Chiesa||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:37|
|Catchweight (188 lb)||Tim Boetsch||def.||Johny Hendricks||TKO (head kick and punches)||2||0:46|
|Women's Strawweight||Felice Herrig||def.||Justine Kish||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Dominick Reyes||def.||Joachim Christensen||TKO (punches)||1||0:29|
|Welterweight||Tim Means||def.||Alex Garcia||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Dennis Siver||def.||B.J. Penn||Decision (majority) (28–28, 29–28, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 2)|
|Lightweight||Clay Guida||def.||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–26, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Marvin Vettori||def.||Vitor Miranda||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Carla Esparza||def.||Maryna Moroz||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Darrell Horcher||def.||Devin Powell||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Catchweight (149 lb)||Jared Gordon||def.||Michel Quiñones||TKO (punches)||2||4:24|
|Lightweight||Tony Martin||def.||Johnny Case||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Jeremy Kimball||def.||Josh Stansbury||TKO (punches)||1||1:21|
The following fighters were awarded $1,000,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: None awarded
- Performance of the Night: Kevin Lee, Tim Boetsch, Dominick Reyes, and Jeremy Kimball
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $1,225,000.
- Kevin Lee: $750,000 (includes $44,000 win bonus) def. Michael Chiesa: $36,000
- Tim Boetsch: $154,000 (includes $67,000 win bonus) def. Johny Hendricks: $80,000 ¹
- Felice Herrig: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Justine Kish: $14,000
- Dominick Reyes: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Joachim Christensen: $16,000
- Tim Means: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus) def. Alex Garcia: $31,000
- Dennis Siver: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn: $150,000
- Clay Guida: $110,000 (includes $55,000 win bonus) def. Erik Koch: $24,000
- Marvin Vettori: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Vitor Miranda: $18,000
- Carla Esparza: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Maryna Moroz: $23,000
- Darrell Horcher: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Devin Powell: $10,000
- Jared Gordon: $18,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Michel Quiñones: $12,000 ²
- Tony Martin: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus) def. Johnny Case: $23,000
- Jeremy Kimball: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Josh Stansbury: $12,000
¹ Johny Hendricks was fined 20 percent of his purse ($20,000) for failing to make the required weight for his fight with Tim Boetsch. That money was issued to Boetsch, an OSAC official confirmed.
² Jared Gordon was fined 20 percent of his purse ($2000) for failing to make the required weight for his fight with Michel Quiñones. That money was issued to Quiñones, an OSAC official confirmed.
On June 29, it was announced that Chiesa filed a complaint against referee Mario Yamasaki and an appeal of the result, citing referee Yamasaki's "long history of failing to meet the standards officials are held to" in his request. He also mentioned illegal elbows delivered by Lee and Yamasaki's stoppage of the fight; Chiesa stated "I did not tap, I did not verbally submit, I was not knocked unconscious, and at no point did I go unconscious." Oklahoma State Athletic Commission (OSAC) administrator Joe Miller confirmed he has received the request and will review the bout before potentially presenting it to the commission. On July 20, the OSAC decided there "wasn’t enough evidence" to overturn Yamasaki’s decision.
- Staff (2017-06-26). "UFC Fight Night 112 draws reported 7,605 attendance for $549,302 live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2017-03-22). "UFC announces June event in Oklahoma City". ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- Marc Raimondi (2017-03-30). "Michael Chiesa returns to face Kevin Lee in UFC Fight Night 112 main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Staff (2017-03-22). "B.J. Penn-Dennis Siver, Johny Hendricks-Tim Boetsch at UFC Fight Night 112 in Oklahoma City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2016-05-11). "Dennis Siver injured, out of UFC 199 fight opposite B.J. Penn". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Guilherme Cruz (2017-05-17). "'Minotouro' Nogueira injured, out of UFC Fight Night 112 fight with Ilir Latifi". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- Staff (2017-05-12). "Jared Gordon off Saturday's UFC 211 card due to 'food poison symptoms'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- Staff (2017-05-25). "Jared Gordon vs. Michel Quinones rebooked, Christensen-Murzakanov added to UFC Fight Night 112". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Dale Jordan (2017-06-09). "Azamat Murzakanov out of bout with Joachim Christensen, Dominick Reyes now makes UFC debut". mmamad.com. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- Staff (2017-06-24). "UFC Fight Night 112 weigh-in results: 2, including Johny Hendricks, come in heavy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-24.
- "UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- Staff (2017-06-26). "UFC Fight Night 112 bonuses: Controversy in main event, but Kevin Lee still gets $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Staff (2017-06-27). "UFC Fight Night 112 salaries: B.J. Penn earns highest purse despite tough loss". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-27.
- John Morgan (2017-06-29). "Michael Chiesa appeals UFC Fight Night 112 loss, cites Yamasaki failure to meet referee standards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Fernanda Prates and John Morgan (2017-07-20). "OSAC dismisses Michael Chiesa's appeal to overturn controversial UFC Fight Night 112 loss". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.