UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Till
|UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Till|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Till.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 21, 2017|
UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Till (also known as UFC Fight Night 118) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on October 21, 2017 at Ergo Arena in Gdańsk, Poland.
The promotion was initially targeting a middleweight bout between Thiago Santos and promotional newcomer Michał Materla to headline the event. However it was revealed on 1 September that Materla had reneged on his agreement with the UFC and was re-signing with the Polish regional promotion KSW. In turn, Santos was removed from the card and faced Jack Hermansson a week later at UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Machida.
A heavyweight bout between Dmitrii Smolyakov and promotional newcomer Adam Wieczorek was initially scheduled to take place at UFC 214. However, the bout was removed from that card for undisclosed reasons on July 17 and was expected take place at this event. In turn, Smolyakov was removed from the event on October 4 and was replaced by Anthony Hamilton. The bout was scratched a day before the event due to "safety concerns," as a few Lechia Gdańsk ultras – extreme and sometimes violent supporters of the local football team – showed up just prior to the weigh-ins. Wieczorek is a supporter of Ruch Chorzów, a Lechia Gdańsk rival team. The fighters were absent from ceremonial weigh-ins due to that reason, but the bout was eventually canceled and rescheduled for UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura a month later.
Promotional newcomer Przemysław Mysiala was expected to face Jimi Manuwa at the event. However, Mysiala could not resign from Absolute Championship Berkut, therefore the bout never materialized.
Teemu Packalén was expected to face Marcin Held at the event. However Packalen pulled out of the fight on October 5 citing a knee injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Nasrat Haqparast.
On October 15, it was announced that Jim Wallhead pulled out of his welterweight bout against The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 middleweight winner Warlley Alves due to an injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Salim Touahri.
At the weigh-ins, Alvey missed the middleweight limit of 185 pounds, coming in at 189 pounds. He was fined 20% of his purse and his bout with Emeev proceeded at a catchweight.
|Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Darren Till||def.||Donald Cerrone||TKO (punches)||1||4:20|
|Women's Strawweight||Karolina Kowalkiewicz||def.||Jodie Esquibel||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Jan Błachowicz||def.||Devin Clark||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||3:02|
|Middleweight||Oskar Piechota||def.||Jonathan Wilson||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Marcin Held||def.||Nasrat Haqparast||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Brian Kelleher||def.||Damian Stasiak||TKO (punches)||3||3:39|
|Catchweight (189 lb)||Ramazan Emeev||def.||Sam Alvey||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Andre Fili||def.||Artem Lobov||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Warlley Alves||def.||Salim Touahri||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Aspen Ladd||def.||Lina Länsberg||TKO (punches)||2||2:33|
|Featherweight||Josh Emmett||def.||Felipe Arantes||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–25)||3||5:00|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Brian Kelleher vs. Damian Stasiak
- Performance of the Night: Darren Till and Jan Błachowicz
- Staff (2017-10-21). "UFC Fight Night 118 draws announced 11,138 attendance in Poland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-21.
- Dann Stupp (2017-03-16). "UFC announces 2017 events in Scotland, Netherlands and Poland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-08-29). "Very surprising Main Event between Thiago Santos and Michal Materla during UFC Gdansk" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- Raphael Marinho (2017-09-01). "Materla gives up fight against Thiago Marreta and renews contract with KSW" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- Dann Stupp (2017-09-04). "Michał Materla out, Jack Hermansson in at UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- Jim Edwards (2017-09-07). "Donald Cerrone vs Darren Till in the works for UFC Gdansk". mmauno.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- Guilherme Cruz (2017-09-07). "Donald Cerrone vs. Darren Till slated to headline UFC Gdansk". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-07-18). "UFC Gdansk knows first fight with Adam Wieczorek vs. Dmitrii Smoliakov" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-10-05). "Anthony Hamilton takes a short notice against Adam Wieczorek during UFC Gdansk" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- John Moargan (2017-10-21). "Security concerns over rowdy soccer fans force 2 fighters out of UFC-Gdansk ceremonial weigh-ins". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-21.
- Mike Bohn (2017-10-22). "Anthony Hamilton vs. Adam Wieczorek scratched from UFC-Gdansk, rescheduled for Nov. 18". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-22.
- Jim Edwards (2017-09-11). "Jimi Manuwa vs Przemysław Mysiala in the works for UFC Gdansk". mmauno.com. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- Laerte Viana (2017-09-13). "Scheduled to face Manuwa, Polish is forbidden to join the UFC" (in Portuguese). superlutas.com. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- Staff (2017-10-05). "Teemu Packalen out of UFC Gdansk bout". mmaviking.com. Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-10-10). "Nasrat Haqparast takes short notice battle against Marcin Held during UFC Gdansk" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-10-11). "Trevor Smith injured, Sam Alvey fights against Ramazan Emeev during UFC Gdansk" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- John Morgan (2017-10-15). "Jim Wallhead out at UFC Fight Night 118, promotion seeks new foe for Warlley Alves". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Staff (2017-10-16). "Poland's Salim Touahri replaces Jim Wallhead vs. Warlley Alves at UFC Fight Night 118". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- John Morgan and Abbey Subhan (2017-10-20). "UFC Fight Night 118 official weigh-in results: Alvey misses on short notice". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-20.
- "UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Till". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- Staff (2017-10-21). "UFC Fight Night 118 bonuses: Darren Till, Jan Blachowicz earn $50K for big finishes". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-21.