UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. The Korean Zombie
|UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. The Korean Zombie|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 21, 2019|
|City||Busan, South Korea|
UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. The Korean Zombie (also known as UFC Fight Night 165 and UFC on ESPN+ 23) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on December 21, 2019 at Sajik Arena in Busan, South Korea.
A featherweight bout between former UFC Featherweight Championship challengers Brian Ortega and Chan Sung Jung was originally slated as the event headliner. However, Ortega pulled out of the fight in early December, citing a knee injury. He was replaced by former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar. The two were previously scheduled to meet on November 10, 2018 at UFC Fight Night: The Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez. However, Edgar was forced to pull out of that bout after tearing his bicep.
A flyweight bout between Veronica Macedo and Amanda Lemos was scheduled for the event. However, Macedo was removed from the event in favor of a matchup with Ariane Lipski on November 16 at UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré. Lemos instead fought Miranda Granger.
|Main Card (ESPN+)|
|Featherweight||Chan Sung Jung||def.||Frankie Edgar||TKO (punches)||1||3:18|
|Light Heavyweight||Volkan Oezdemir||def.||Aleksandar Rakić||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Charles Jourdain||def.||Doo Ho Choi||TKO (punches)||2||4:32|
|Light Heavyweight||Da Un Jung||def.||Mike Rodríguez||KO (punches)||1||1:04|
|Middleweight||Jun Yong Park||def.||Marc-André Barriault||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Kyung Ho Kang||def.||Liu Pingyuan||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Heavyweight||Ciryl Gane||def.||Tanner Boser||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Seung Woo Choi||def.||Suman Mokhtarian||Decision (unanimous) (29–26, 29–26, 29–25)||3||5:00||[a]|
|Lightweight||Omar Morales||def.||Dong Hyun Ma||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–26, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Alexandre Pantoja||def.||Matt Schnell||KO (punches)||1||4:17|
|Bantamweight||Raoni Barcelos||def.||Said Nurmagomedov||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Amanda Lemos||def.||Miranda Granger||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:43|
|Bantamweight||Heili Alateng||def.||Ryan Benoit||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- Choi was deducted a point in round 1 due to repeatedly grabbing the fence.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Charles Jourdain vs. Doo Ho Choi
- Performance of the Night: Chan Sung Jung and Alexandre Pantoja
- Staff (2019-12-21). "UFC on ESPN+ 23 draws reported 10,651 attendance for second event in South Korea". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2019-12-21. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- Joong Ang Ilbo (2019-07-07). "UFC hosts Korea in four years ... Place is Busan". news.joins.com. Archived from the original on 2019-07-07. Retrieved 2019-07-08. (in Korean)
- Newswire (2019-05-12). "UFC announces dates for third, fourth quarter of 2019, including returns to Sacramento, San Antonio, Mexico City". mmafighting.com. Archived from the original on 2019-05-12. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- Nolan King (2019-09-23). "Brian Ortega vs. Chan Sung Jung to headline UFC on ESPN+ 23 in South Korea". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Archived from the original on 2019-09-24. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- Damon Martin (2019-12-05). "Brian Ortega out of UFC Busan main event against 'Korean Zombie' Chan Sung Jung". mmafighting.com. Archived from the original on 2019-12-05. Retrieved 2019-12-05.
- Mike Bohn (2019-12-05). "Frankie Edgar replaces Brian Ortega, meets Chan Sung Jung at UFC on ESPN+ 23". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Archived from the original on 2019-12-06. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- Newswire (2018-07-20). "Frankie Edgar-Chan Sung Jung bout set for UFC Fight Night on Nov. 10". espn.com. Archived from the original on 2018-07-21. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Staff (2018-10-27). "Frankie Edgar out, Yair Rodriguez in for UFC Fight Night 139 headliner vs. 'Korean Zombie'". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2018-10-27. Retrieved 2018-10-27.
- David Tees (2019-11-01). "Report: Ji Yeon Kim Off UFC Fight Night Busan". fightful.com. Archived from the original on 2019-11-01. Retrieved 2019-11-01.
- Alexander K Lee (2019-11-06). "Veronica Macedo steps in to fight Ariane Lipski at UFC Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Archived from the original on 2019-11-07. Retrieved 2019-11-07.
- Redactie (2019-11-21). "Undefeated Miranda Granger takes short notice fight against Amanda Lemos during UFC Busan". mmadna.nl. Archived from the original on 2019-12-04. Retrieved 2019-11-21. (in Dutch)
- "UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. The Korean Zombie". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Archived from the original on 2019-12-25. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- Farah Hannaun (2019-12-21). "UFC Busan bonuses: Charles Jourdain moving out of his parents' basement". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-12-21.