UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 2
|UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 2|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 19, 2020|
|City||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Attendance||None (behind closed doors)|
UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 2 (also known as UFC Fight Night 172, UFC on ESPN+ 30 and UFC Fight Island 2) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on July 19, 2020 at the Flash Forum on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
This event was the third of four UFC Fight Island events scheduled to take place on Yas Island in July 2020, following UFC 251 and UFC on ESPN: Kattar vs. Ige, as part of a plan to facilitate the hosting of events involving fighters impacted by U.S. travel restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Without fans in attendance, the promotion did not have to worry about the local timing of the event, so the event proceeded with normal timing for prime time hours on the east coast of North America. The main card began at 5:00 am (July 19) local time in Abu Dhabi, with a full preliminary card beginning at approximately 2:00 am Gulf Standard Time.
A UFC Flyweight Championship rematch for the vacant title between Deiveson Figueiredo and former title challenger Joseph Benavidez took place as the headliner. With former UFC Flyweight and Bantamweight Champion Henry Cejudo vacating his flyweight title in December 2019, the pairing then met at UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo in February to determine the new champion. Figueiredo won via second round TKO, but the title remained vacant because he missed weight. On July 11, it was announced that Figueiredo tested positive for COVID-19, leaving the title bout in jeopardy. According to his manager, Wallid Ismail, a second test was administered before an official decision was made regarding Figueiredo's possible removal from the event. Ismail said that Figueiredo already tested positive for COVID-19 two months ago and believes that this test was a false positive. A day later, it was confirmed that Figueiredo passed his second test and would travel to Abu Dhabi, though he still needed to pass other tests upon arrival. He passed multiple tests in Abu Dhabi, clearing the fight for the main event.
A heavyweight bout between Sergey Spivak and Carlos Felipe was scheduled for the original May 9 date of UFC 250 that later became UFC 249, but was eventually scrapped due to that change. The pairing was rescheduled for this event.
A light heavyweight bout between Roman Dolidze and Khadis Ibragimov was initially scheduled for the promotion's inaugural event in Kazakhstan planned a month prior. However, the fight was postponed after the card was moved to Las Vegas due to travel restrictions for both participants related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The pairing was left intact and rescheduled for this event.
Tagir Ulanbekov was expected to face Aleksander Doskalchuk in a flyweight bout at this event. However, Ulanbekov pulled out on July 3 after Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, father of current UFC Lightweight Champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, died from complications related to COVID-19. In turn, Doskalchuk pulled out a week later due to undisclosed reasons. They were replaced by Malcolm Gordon and Amir Albazi respectively.
|Main card (ESPN+)|
|Flyweight||Deiveson Figueiredo||def.||Joseph Benavidez||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:48||[a]|
|Middleweight||Jack Hermansson||def.||Kelvin Gastelum||Submission (heel hook)||1||1:18|
|Lightweight||Rafael Fiziev||def.||Marc Diakiese||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Flyweight||Ariane Lipski||def.||Luana Carolina||Submission (kneebar)||1||1:28|
|Flyweight||Askar Askarov||def.||Alexandre Pantoja||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (ESPN/ESPN+)|
|Light Heavyweight||Roman Dolidze||def.||Khadis Ibragimov||TKO (knee and punches)||1||4:15|
|Catchweight (150 lb)||Grant Dawson||def.||Nad Narimani||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–27, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Joel Álvarez||def.||Joseph Duffy||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||2:25|
|Bantamweight||Brett Johns||def.||Montel Jackson||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Amir Albazi||def.||Malcolm Gordon||Submission (triangle choke)||1||4:42|
|Lightweight||Arman Tsarukyan||def.||Davi Ramos||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Sergey Spivak||def.||Carlos Felipe||Decision (majority) (28–28, 29–27, 29–27)||3||5:00|
- For the vacant UFC Flyweight Championship.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Rafael Fiziev vs. Marc Diakiese
- Performance of the Night: Deiveson Figueiredo and Ariane Lipski
- Andreas Hale (2020-07-18). "What time is UFC Fight Night? Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Joseph Benavidez TV channel, live stream schedule, odds". dazn.com. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- Farah Hannoun (2020-06-09). "UFC 'Fight Island' is ... Yas Island, Abu Dhabi". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- Jeff Wagenheim (2020-06-11). "What we know and don't know about 'Fight Island'". espn.com. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Nick Baldwin (2020-06-18). "Benavidez-Figueiredo title bout set for UFC's July 18 main event". thescore.com. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Brent Brookhouse (2020-02-29). "UFC Fight Night 169 results: Deiveson Figueiredo stops Joseph Benavidez to leave flyweight title vacant". cbssports.com. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Marc Raimondi (2020-07-11). "Figueiredo tests positive before UFC main event". espn.com. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- Damon Martin (2020-07-12). "Deiveson Figueiredo cleared to travel to 'Fight Island,' still required to pass more COVID-19 tests". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-07-12.
- Guilherme Cruz (2020-07-17). "Deiveson Figueiredo passes multiple COVID-19 tests, cleared to leave quarantine ahead of weigh-ins". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- Steve Duncan (2020-06-10). "Sergey Spivak vs. Carlos Felipe transferred to Fight Island on July 18". mma.uno. Retrieved 2020-06-18. (in Spanish)
- Staff (2020-03-03). "Khadis Ibragimov meets Roman Dolidze during UFC Nur-Sultan in Kazakhstan". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-03-03. (in Dutch)
- Nolan King (2020-06-11). "UFC targeting Roman Dolidze vs. Khadis Ibragimov for July 18 event". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-19.
- Nolan King and Farah Hannoun (2020-06-13). "With Alan Patrick out, UFC targets Rafael Fiziev vs. Marc Diakiese for July 18". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Amy Kaplan (2020-07-03). "Umar Nurmagomedov, Tagir Ulanbekov delay travel to Fight Island following the passing of Khabib's dad". fansided.com. Retrieved 2020-07-04.
- David Tees (2020-07-04). "Report: Malcom Gordon replaces Tagir Ulanbekov at UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez II". fightful.com. Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- Farah Hannoun (2020-07-10). "Amir Albazi steps in to face Malcolm Gordon at UFC's July 18 event in Abu Dhabi". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-07-10.
- "UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Dave Doyle (2020-07-18). "UFC on ESPN+ 30 bonuses: Deiveson Figueiredo's title victory nets extra $50K". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-07-19.