UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot
|UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 7, 2013|
|Venue||Brisbane Entertainment Centre|
|City||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|Total gate||$1.785 million|
UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot (also known as UFC Fight Night 33) was a mixed martial arts event held on December 7, 2013, at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. The event was broadcast live on Fox Sports 1.
The card was headlined by a heavyweight bout between Mark Hunt and Antônio Silva. The main event ended in a rare majority draw decision; one judge scoring the fight 48–47 for Mark Hunt, while the other two saw it a 47–47 draw. Post-fight, UFC President Dana White said that the bout had earned Fight of the Night honors.
Subsequently, Silva failed a post-fight test for elevated testosterone (he had been undergoing UFC-approved testosterone replacement therapy). Silva was suspended for nine months, retroactive to the date of the fight. Due to Silva's positive test, Hunt was given the total of $100,000 from the Fight of the Night bonus award. For Hunt the bout result remains a "draw" on his official record, while in Silva's case it was overturned to a no-contest.
Brian Melancon was expected to face Robert Whittaker at the event. But Melancon pulled out of the bout and subsequently announced his retirement due to renal stress. As a result, Whittaker was removed from the card as well.
Mitch Gagnon was expected to face Alex Caceres at the event. However, the bout was cancelled during the week leading up to the event due to an alleged visa issue for Gagnon, restricting his entry to Australia.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Heavyweight||Mark Hunt||vs.||Antônio Silva||Draw (majority) (48–47, 47–47, 47–47)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Light Heavyweight||Maurício Rua||def.||James Te Huna||KO (punch)||1||1:03|
|Light Heavyweight||Ryan Bader||def.||Anthony Perosh||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Soa Palelei||def.||Pat Barry||KO (punches)||1||2:09|
|Middleweight||Clint Hester||def.||Dylan Andrews||TKO (doctor stoppage)||2||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Bethe Correia||def.||Julie Kedzie||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Fox Sports 2)|
|Bantamweight||Takeya Mizugaki||def.||Nam Phan||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Caio Magalhaes||def.||Nick Ring||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Justin Scoggins||def.||Richie Vaculik||TKO (punches)||1||4:43|
|Middleweight||Krzysztof Jotko||def.||Bruno Santos||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Online)|
|Welterweight||Alex Garcia||def.||Ben Wall||KO (punches)||1||0:43|
- Silva tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone after the fight. His result was converted to a No Contest, while Hunt's stayed as a draw.
- Fight of The Night: Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva
- Knockout of The Night: Maurício Rua
- Submission of the Night: Not awarded as no matches ended by submission.
- Staff (2013-12-06). "UFC Fight Night 33 draws reported 11,393 attendance for $1.785 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Staff (2013-09-09). "Hunt vs. Bigfoot Headlines UFC in Brisbane". ufc.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Staff (2013-09-04). "Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva targeted for UFC's December return to Australia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Chris Garry (2013-09-09). "Cage-fighters head to Brisbane for UFC event". heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Jason Tuilo (2013-09-10). "Mark Hunt to headline Brisbane December UFC card". theroar.com.au. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Staff (2013-12-07). "Antonio Silva drew with Mark Hunt". mmadecisions.com. Archived from the original on 2013-12-17. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- "Antonio Silva fails post-fight drug test". Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Antonio Silva fails post-fight drug test". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- Matt Erickson (2013-11-20). "Brian Melancon injury scraps bout with Robert Whittaker from UFC Fight Night 33 in Australia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Staff (2013-11-20). "Melancon retires at 31". ufc.com. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Staff (2013-12-02). "Alex Caceres vs. Mitch Gagnon scratched from Friday's UFC Fight Night 33 main card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Staff. "UFC Fight Night 33 bonuses: Rua, Silva and Hunt pick up $500,000 awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- John Morgan and Steven Marrocco (December 17, 2013). "Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva fails post-fight drug test, stripped of $170,000 bonus". MMAjunkie.com.