UFC Fight Night: Lee vs. Oliveira
|UFC Fight Night: Lee vs. Oliveira|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 14, 2020|
|Venue||Ginásio Nilson Nelson|
|Attendance||None (behind closed doors)|
UFC Fight Night: Lee vs. Oliveira (also known as UFC Fight Night 170 and UFC on ESPN+ 28) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on March 14, 2020 at Ginásio Nilson Nelson in Brasília, Brazil.
A middleweight bout between Brad Tavares and The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 heavyweight winner Antônio Carlos Júnior was scheduled for the event. However, Tavares was forced to pull out of the fight due to an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury. He was replaced by Makhmud Muradov. In turn, Júnior suffered an unspecified injury and the bout was cancelled from the event.
A women's strawweight bout between Paige VanZant and Amanda Ribas was scheduled for the event. However, VanZant was forced to pull out of the fight due to an undisclosed injury. VanZant requested to reschedule the bout one month later, but Ribas decided to remain at the event and Randa Markos stepped in as the replacement.
A flyweight bout between Su Mudaerji and Bruno Gustavo da Silva was scheduled for the event. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic in mainland China, Mudaerji was forced to withdraw from the event as he would not travel to prepare for the fight and was replaced by promotional newcomer David Dvořák.
At the weigh-ins, Lee weighed in at 158.5 lb, 2.5 lb over the lightweight non-title fight limit of 156 pounds. He was fined 20% of his purse and his bout with Oliveira proceeded as scheduled at a catchweight.
On March 12, the UFC announced that this event would take place behind closed doors (for the first time in the promotion's history) after Ibaneis Rocha, the governor of the Federal District (where Brasília is located), announced that large gatherings will be suspended or closed for a period of 5 days due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Both the UFC's planned Thursday media day and Friday ceremonial weigh-ins were cancelled ahead of the card, with the official early morning weigh-ins being the only official fighter obligations that remained ahead of fight night. In response, UFC president Dana White stated "We [The UFC] always go overboard with health and safety, and that’s what we’re going to do here", although none of the fighters were tested for the COVID-19 virus by the commission leading up to the event.
|Main card (ESPN+)|
|Catchweight (158.5 lb)||Charles Oliveira||def.||Kevin Lee||Submission (guillotine choke)||3||0:28|
|Welterweight||Gilbert Burns||def.||Demian Maia||TKO (punches)||1||2:34|
|Lightweight||Renato Moicano||def.||Damir Hadžović||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||0:44|
|Light Heavyweight||Nikita Krylov||def.||Johnny Walker||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Francisco Trinaldo||def.||John Makdessi||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (ESPN / ESPN+)|
|Flyweight||Brandon Moreno||def.||Jussier Formiga||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Amanda Ribas||def.||Randa Markos||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–25, 30–25)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos||def.||Alexey Kunchenko||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Enrique Barzola||vs.||Rani Yahya||Draw (majority) (29–28, 28–28, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Flyweight||Maryna Moroz||def.||Mayra Bueno Silva||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||David Dvořák||def.||Bruno Gustavo da Silva||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Bea Malecki||def.||Veronica Macedo||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Maryna Moroz vs. Mayra Bueno Silva
- Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira and Gilbert Burns
- Simon Head (2020-03-11). "Coronavirus pushes UFC on ESPN+ 28 behind closed doors in Brasilia: Reports". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-12.
- Redactie (2019-12-03). "Hawaiian Brad Tavares meets Antonio Carlos Junior during UFC Brasilia". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-12-03. (in Dutch)
- Farah Hannoun (2019-12-03). "Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Brad Tavares added to UFC Brasilia in March". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- Guilherme Cruz and Damon Martin (2020-01-14). "Kevin Lee vs. Charles Oliveira set to headline UFC Brasilia in March". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- Marcelo Barone and Raphael Marinho (2019-12-31). "Brad Tavares injured and out of fight against Cara de Sapato at UFC Brasília". globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-12-31. (in Portuguese)
- Jay Pettry (2020-01-04). "Makhmud Muradov steps in against Antonio Carlos Jr. at UFC Brasilia". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- Mike Bohn (2020-01-13). "Antonio Carlos Junior injured, Makhmud Muradov fight scratched from UFC on ESPN+ 28". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- Jay Pettry (2020-01-24). "Report: Paige VanZant out, Randa Markos in against Amanda Ribas at UFC Brasilia". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2020-01-24.
- Marcelo Barone (2020-02-08). "Coronavirus epidemic complicates Su Mudaerji's training in Tibet and athlete leaves UFC card". globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 2020-02-08. (in Portuguese)
- Mike Bohn (2020-03-13). "UFC on ESPN+ 28 weigh-in results: Kevin Lee misses weight". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- Jack Baer (2020-03-13). "After urging from President Trump, Dana White says he'll keep holding UFC events despite coronavirus". au.sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- Dan Hiergesell (2020-03-13). "UFC Brasilia fighters not being tested for Coronavirus". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "UFC Fight Night: Lee vs. Oliveira". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- Staff (2020-03-14). "UFC Brasilia Bonuses: Gilbert Burns topples Demian Maia for $50,000". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.