UFC Fight Night: Magny vs. Ponzinibbio
|UFC Fight Night: Magny vs. Ponzinibbio|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Magny vs. Ponzinibbio.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 17, 2018|
|Venue||Estadio Mary Terán de Weiss|
|City||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
UFC Fight Night: Magny vs. Ponzinibbio (also known as UFC Fight Night 140) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on November 17, 2018 at Estadio Mary Terán de Weiss in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Veronica Macedo was expected to face Maryna Moroz at the event. However, Macedo pulled out of the fight due to an injury and was replaced by KSW Women's Flyweight Champion and promotional newcomer Ariane Lipski. In turn, Moroz pulled out due to injury on October 30 and as a result the bout was cancelled.
Claudio Puelles was scheduled to face Devin Powell at the event. However, Puelles pulled out of the bout in mid-October with an undisclosed injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Jesus Pinedo.
A middleweight bout between Jared Cannonier and Alessio Di Chirico was scheduled to the event. However, on October 20, it was reported that Cannonier would meet former WSOF Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Champion David Branch at UFC 230 instead. Initially, it was not sure if a replacement will be sought from the UFC. Ultimately, Di Chirico was pulled from the card.
The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2 lightweight winner Enrique Barzola was expected to face Nad Narimani at the event. However, on October 26, it was reported that Barzola pulled out of the bout due to an arm injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Sergio Giglio. In turn on November 8, it was reported that Giglio was forced out due to injury and was replaced by fellow newcomer Anderson dos Santos.
Tom Breese was expected to face The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil middleweight winner Cezar Ferreira at the event. However, on November 9, it was announced that he pulled out of the event due to injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Ian Heinisch.
At the weigh-ins, Cynthia Calvillo weighed in at 118 lb, 2 pounds over the strawweight non-title fight limit of 116 lb. She was fined 20 percent of her purse, which went to her opponent Poliana Botelho and the bout proceeded at catchweight.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Santiago Ponzinibbio||def.||Neil Magny||KO (punch)||4||2:36|
|Featherweight||Ricardo Lamas||def.||Darren Elkins||TKO (elbows and punches)||3||4:09|
|Light Heavyweight||Johnny Walker||def.||Khalil Rountree Jr.||KO (elbow)||1||1:57|
|Middleweight||Ian Heinisch||def.||Cezar Ferreira||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Marlon Vera||def.||Guido Cannetti||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||1:31|
|Catchweight (118 lb)||Cynthia Calvillo||def.||Poliana Botelho||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:48|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Michel Prazeres||def.||Bartosz Fabiński||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||1:02|
|Flyweight||Alexandre Pantoja||def.||Ulka Sasaki||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:18|
|Featherweight||Austin Arnett||def.||Humberto Bandenay||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–27, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Laureano Staropoli||def.||Hector Aldana||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Jesus Pinedo||def.||Devin Powell||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Nad Narimani||def.||Anderson dos Santos||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Laureano Staropoli vs. Hector Aldana
- Performance of the Night: Santiago Ponzinibbio and Johnny Walker
- Staff (2018-11-18). "UFC Fight Night 140 draws announced 10,245 attendance for Argentina debut". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-18.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-07-17). "UFC set for Argentina debut in Buenos Aires on Nov. 17". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Marcelo Barone and Raphael Marinho (2018-08-22). "Neil Magny leaves fight in SP to face Ponzinibbio in UFC Argentina" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-08-23). "Neil Magny vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio headlines UFC Buenos Aires in November". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-08-23.
- Mike Bohn (2018-09-23). "KSW champ Ariane Lipski meets Maryna Moroz at UFC Fight Night 140 in Buenos Aires". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-10-30). "Maryna Moroz injured, out of UFC Argentina bout with Ariane Lipski". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-10-31). "With no opponent available, Ariane Lipski pulled from UFC Argentina card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-10-17). "Jesus Pinedo makes UFC debut against Devin Powell during UFC Buenos Aires" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- Mike Bohn (2018-10-20). "With 'Jacare' shifted to co-main event, David Branch gets Jared Cannonier at UFC 230". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-10-20.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-10-26). "Enrique Barzola injured, not fighting Nad Narimani at UFC Buenos Aires" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-10-26.
- Staff (2018-10-28). "Peruvian fighter Sergio Giglio signed with UFC and will face Englishman Nad Narimani in Argentina" (in Spanish). trome.pe. Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- Max Freedman (2018-11-08). "Nad Narimani gets opponent change, faces 'Berinja' in Buenos Aires". mma-today.com. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- Marcelo Barone (2018-11-09). "Breese pulls out of Mutante bout at UFC Argentina and Ian Heinisch is chosen as his replacement" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- Staff (2018-11-16). "UFC Buenos Aires: Magny vs. Santiago set, but Cynthia Calvillo misses weight". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "UFC Fight Night: Magny vs. Ponzinibbio". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Staff (2018-11-18). "UFC Argentina bonuses: Two Argentine natives cash $50,000 checks". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-18.
|This article related to mixed martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|