UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare
|UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 21, 2015|
|Venue||Ginásio do Maracanãzinho|
|City||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
The event was expected to be headlined by a bantamweight rematch between Urijah Faber and Raphael Assunção. However, on February 2, Assunção was forced out of the bout as his ankle, injured in mid-December 2014, was slow to heal and he was unable to resume the proper training to prepare for the fight in that time frame. The UFC also removed Faber from the card and promoted a welterweight bout between Demian Maia and Ryan LaFlare to the main event.
Josh Thomson was expected to face Gilbert Burns at the event. However, on February 26, Thomson pulled out of the fight with an undisclosed injury, while Burns remained on the card and faced promotional newcomer Alex Oliveira.
Ben Saunders was expected to face Erick Silva at the event. However, on March 6, Saunders pulled out of the bout due to an injury. He was replaced by Josh Koscheck. Koscheck had previously fought just 21 days before this event at UFC 184, losing his fight against Jake Ellenberger.
A lightweight fight between Leandro Silva and Drew Dober ended with controversy as referee Eduardo Herdy stopped the bout at 2:45 of the second round for no apparent reason, as Dober had already escaped a guillotine choke attempt. The result was met with an enormous number of complaints from several people related to mixed martial arts. Dober was paid his win bonus regardless. Although initially announcing the controversial result would stand, the Comissão Atlética Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA) – Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission – overturned Silva's win and declared the fight a no-contest on March 26.
On April 9, the CABMMA announced that Jorge de Oliveira failed a fight night drug test, testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol. He was suspended for one year, retroactive to the event date.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Demian Maia||def.||Ryan LaFlare||Decision (unanimous) (48–46, 48–46, 48–46)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Welterweight||Erick Silva||def.||Josh Koscheck||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||4:21|
|Lightweight||Leonardo Santos||def.||Tony Martin||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||2:29|
|Women's Bantamweight||Amanda Nunes||def.||Shayna Baszler||TKO (leg kick)||1||1:56|
|Lightweight||Gilbert Burns||def.||Alex Oliveira||Submission (armbar)||3||4:14|
|Featherweight||Godofredo Pepey||def.||Andre Fili||Submission (flying triangle choke)||1||3:14|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 2)|
|Lightweight||Francisco Trinaldo||def.||Akbarh Arreola||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Kevin Souza||def.||Katsunori Kikuno||KO (punch)||1||1:31|
|Lightweight||Leandro Silva||vs.||Drew Dober||No Contest (overturned)||2||2:45||[b]|
|Lightweight||Leonardo Mafra||def.||Cain Carrizosa||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Christos Giagos||def.||Jorge de Oliveira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:12|
|Flyweight||Fredy Serrano||def.||Bentley Syler||KO (punch)||3||1:34|
- Maia was docked 1 point in the 5th round for stalling on the ground and not engaging in the fight.
- Originally ruled a submission (guillotine choke) victory for Silva; result overturned to "No Contest" by CABMMA as referee errantly stopped the fight.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: None awarded
- Performance of the Night: Gilbert Burns, Godofredo Pepey, Kevin Souza and Fredy Serrano
- Staff (2015-03-22). "UFC Fight Night 62 draws announced 7,707 fans in Rio de Janeiro". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
- John Morgan (2014-12-30). "UFC Fight Night 62 targeted for Rio de Janeiro's Maracanazinho Gymnasium". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-30.
- Mookie Alexander (2015-01-21). "Raphael Assuncao vs. Urijah Faber verbally agreed for UFC Fight Night main event in Rio de Janeiro". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-02-02). "Raphael Assuncao injured, out of UFC Fight Night 62 main event with Urijah Faber". mmafighting.com.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-02-04). "Demian Maia vs. Ryan LaFlare set to headline UFC Fight Night 62 in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-04.
- Jason Floyd (2015-02-11). "Matt Wiman out of UFC Fight Night 62 due to back injury, Leonardo Santos will now meet Tony Martin". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-02-26). "Josh Thomson injured, out of UFC Fight Night 62 co-main event bout against Gilbert Burns". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-26.
- Staff (2015-02-27). "Alex Oliveira meets Gilbert Burns at UFC Fight Night 62; Saunders-Silva new co-main". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- C.J. Tuttle (2015-03-06). "Injury forces Ben Saunders out of UFC Fight Night bout vs. Erick Silva". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-03-06.
- Staff (2015-03-08). "Josh Koscheck in for Saunders, meets Erick Silva in UFC Fight Night 62 co-main". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-02-28). "UFC 184 results, photos: Jake Ellenberger gets rare submission of Josh Koscheck". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-03-21). "UFC Fight Night 62 results: Ref gives Leandro Silva gift submission win vs. Drew Dober". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-26.
- Steven Marrocco and John Morgan (2015-03-22). "UFC pays Drew Dober his win money; Dana White stumps for no-contest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-26.
- Dann Stupp (2015-03-26). "Shocker: Brazil commission overturns Leandro Silva vs. Drew Dober, declares no-contest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-26.
- Matt Erickson (2015-04-09). "Jorge de Oliveira positive for steroids following loss at UFC Fight Night 62". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-09.
- "UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- "UFC Fight Night 62: Maia vs. LaFlare Results". mmanuts.com. March 26, 2015. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Matt Erickson (2015-03-22). "UFC Fight Night 62 bonuses: On card with nine stoppages, who won $50,000?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-22.