UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields
|UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 9, 2013|
|Venue||Ginásio José Corrêa|
UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields (also known as UFC Fight Night 29) was a mixed martial arts event held on October 9, 2013, at the Ginásio José Corrêa in Barueri, Brazil. The event was broadcast live on Fox Sports 1.
Thiago Silva came in 2 lbs over the 206 lbs weight limit and therefore Matt Hamill received 25% of Silva's purse. Their bout took place at a catchweight of 208 lbs. Dana White stated Silva would be ineligible for any finishing bonuses, no matter the outcome of the fight, due to his missing weight.
Even though he was the only fighter to win by submission on the card, Rousimar Palhares was denied the Submission of the Night bonus after holding the submission after Mike Pierce had tapped, requiring the referee to physically release him. The following day, Dana White announced that Palhares would be released from his contract and banned from working at UFC ever again. He had done the same at UFC 111, earning a 90-day suspension, and was also suspended for nine months after testing positive for elevated testosterone following his loss to Hector Lombard at UFC on FX: Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson.
|Main card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Jake Shields||def.||Demian Maia||Decision (split) (48–47, 47–48, 48–47)||5||5:00|
|Welterweight||Dong Hyun Kim||def.||Erick Silva||KO (punch)||2||3:01|
|Catchweight (208 lbs)||Thiago Silva||def.||Matt Hamill||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Fabio Maldonado||def.||Joey Beltran||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Rousimar Palhares||def.||Mike Pierce||Submission (heel hook)||1||0:31|
|Bantamweight||Raphael Assunção||def.||T.J. Dillashaw||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Igor Araújo||def.||Ildemar Alcantara||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Yan Cabral||def.||David Mitchell||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Chris Cariaso||def.||Iliarde Santos||TKO (punches)||2||4:31|
|Lightweight||Alan Patrick||def.||Garett Whiteley||TKO (punches)||1||3:54|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of The Night: Raphael Assunção vs. T.J. Dillashaw
- Knockout of The Night: Dong Hyun Kim
- Submission of the Night: None awarded
- "UFC Fight Night 29 draws reported sold-out attendance of 6,621". MMA Junkie. October 9, 2013. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Ivan Raupp (2013-08-05). "Anúncio de Barueri-SP como sede do UFC do dia 9 de outubro fica próximo". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "Maia vs. Shields Headlines October Fight Night". ufc.com. 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 12, 2013). "Jake Shields, Demian Maia have agreed to fight at UFC Fight Night 29". mmafighting.com.
- Staff. "Rony Jason pulled from UFC Fight Night 29 card against Jeremy Stephens". MMAjunkie.com.
- Staff (2013-09-16). "Stephens injured, pulled from UFC Fight Night 29; Palhares vs. Pierce promoted". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Staff (2013-09-25). "Rony Jason vs. Jeremy Stephens rescheduled for UFC Fight Night 32 in November". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- Staff (2013-10-05). "Rodrigo Damm-Hacran Dias fight removed from UFC Fight Night 29". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- Steve Borchardt (2013-10-08). "Thiago Silva misses mark at UFC Fight Night 29 weigh ins, forfeits 25 percent of show purse to Matt Hamill". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Rousimar Palhares is banned". Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "UFC 111 suspensions: Palhares receives disciplinary action, Riddle out indefinitely". MMAJunkie.com. 2010-03-28. Retrieved 2010-03-28.
- "Rousimar Palhares and Joey Beltran suspended following positive drug test at UFC on FX 6". themmareport.com. January 10, 2013.
- Matt Erickson. "UFC Fight Night 29 bonuses: Palhares snubbed for sub award". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved September 10, 2013.