UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver
|UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs Siver|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs Siver.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 18, 2015|
The event was headlined by a featherweight bout between Conor McGregor and Dennis Siver. It was announced that a victory over Siver will ensure McGregor of a shot at the UFC Featherweight Championship in his next fight.
Paul Felder was expected to face Johnny Case at the event. However, Felder elected to fight as a replacement against Danny Castillo at UFC 182. He was replaced by Frank Trevino. On December 23, it was announced that Trevino had to pull out of the bout due to an injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Frankie Perez.
Costas Philippou was expected to face Uriah Hall at the event. However, Philippou was forced out of the bout due to injury. He was replaced by Strikeforce veteran Louis Taylor. On January 11, it was announced that Taylor pulled out of the fight due to a pulled muscle in his back and had his contract terminated as a result. Hall faced promotional newcomer Ron Stallings.
Eddie Alvarez was expected to face former WEC & UFC Lightweight champion Benson Henderson at the co-main event. However, Alvarez was forced out of the bout due to illness. He was replaced by Donald Cerrone, whom Henderson fought twice before (at WEC 43 and WEC 48) and won both fights. One fight was for the WEC Lightweight Championship and the other one was for the interim belt. Cerrone had previously fought just 15 days before this event at UFC 182, winning his fight against Myles Jury.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Featherweight||Conor McGregor||def.||Dennis Siver||TKO (punches)||2||1:54|
|Lightweight||Donald Cerrone||def.||Benson Henderson||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Uriah Hall||def.||Ron Stallings||TKO (doctor stoppage)||1||3:37|
|Lightweight||Gleison Tibau||def.||Norman Parke||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Cathal Pendred||def.||Sean Spencer||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Lorenz Larkin||def.||John Howard||TKO (punches)||1||2:17|
|Lightweight||Chris Wade||def.||Zhang Lipeng||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00||[a]|
|Flyweight||Paddy Holohan||def.||Shane Howell||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Johnny Case||def.||Frankie Perez||TKO (elbows and punches)||3||1:54|
|Featherweight||Charles Rosa||def.||Sean Soriano||Submission (D'Arce choke)||3||4:43|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Light Heavyweight||Sean O'Connell||def.||Matt Van Buren||TKO (punches)||3||2:11|
|Flyweight||Joby Sanchez||def.||Tateki Matsuda||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 30–27)||3||5:00|
- Zhang was docked 1 point in the second round for multiple illegal strikes to the groin.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Sean O'Connell vs. Matt Van Buren
- Performance of the Night: Conor McGregor and Lorenz Larkin
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Conor McGregor: $170,000 (includes $85,000 win bonus) def. Dennis Siver: $39,000
- Donald Cerrone: $146,000 (includes $73,000 win bonus) def. Benson Henderson: $48,000
- Uriah Hall: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Ron Stallings: $10,000
- Gleison Tibau: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus) def. Norman Parke: $20,000
- Cathal Pendred: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Sean Spencer: $14,000 ^
- Lorenz Larkin: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus) def. John Howard: $21,000
- Chris Wade: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Zhang Lieping: $15,000
- Patrick Holohan: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Shane Howell: $8,000
- Johnny Case: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Frankie Perez: $8,000
- Charles Rosa: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Sean Soriano: $8,000
- Sean O'Connell: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Matt Van Buren $8,000
- Joby Sanchez: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Tateki Matsuda: $8,000
^ Although not reflected in the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission paperwork, both Pendred and Spencer ($14,000) received win bonuses
- Staff (2015-01-19). "UFC Fight Night 59 draws reported 13,828 attendance for $1.34 million gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-10-24). "McGregor to headline Boston event on Jan. 18 against Siver". ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- Staff (2014-10-24). "Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Siver official as UFC Fight Night 59 headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- Staff (2015-01-01). "If victorious, Conor McGregor gets UFC title shot with champ Jose Aldo". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-01.
- Staff (2014-12-04). "Jorge Masvidal out, Gleison Tibau meets Norman Parke at UFC Fight Night 59". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- Staff (2014-10-01). "Johnny Case vs. Paul Felder slated for UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- John Morgan (2014-12-08). "Danny Castillo vs. Paul Felder set for UFC 182 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Staff (2014-12-08). "With Paul Felder out, Johnny Case now meets Francisco Trevino at UFC Fight Night 59". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Jamie Penick (2014-12-23). "Frank Trevino injured, newcomer Frankie Perez steps in against Johnny Case at UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Staff (2015-01-01). "Costas Philippou forced off UFC Fight Night 59 main card with injury". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-01.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-01-02). "Strikeforce vet Louis Taylor steps in to face Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night in Boston". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Nick Baldwin (2015-01-11). "Louis Taylor out of fight against Uriah Hall with injury, cut from promotion". mmajr.co. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- Damon Martin (2015-01-12). "Ron Stallings steps up to face Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night in Boston". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- Staff (2015-01-05). "Donald Cerrone replaces Eddie Alvarez, meets Benson Henderson at UFC Fight Night 59". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-05.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-01-04). "UFC 182 results: Donald Cerrone continues streak, tops Myles Jury on scorecards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- Staff (2015-01-19). "UFC Fight Night 59 bonuses: Of course Conor McGregor nabbed one of the $50K awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-01-21). "UFC Fight Night 59 salaries: Conor McGregor scores major payday with win over Dennis Siver". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- Steven Marrocco and George Garcia (2015-01-21). "Sean Spencer says he's getting paid show, win money following controversial decision loss". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.