UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno
|UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||5 August 2017|
|Venue||Arena Ciudad de México|
|City||Mexico City, Mexico|
UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno (also known as UFC Fight Night 114) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on 5 August 2017 at Arena Ciudad de México in Mexico City, Mexico.
Chris Gruetzemacher was expected to face The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3 lightweight winner Martín Bravo at the event. However, Gruetzemacher pulled out of the fight on July 18 with an injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Humberto Bandenay.
A featherweight contest between Hacran Dias and Zabit Magomedsharipov was scheduled to take place at this event, but Magomedsharipov was moved to a fight against Nick Hein at the UFC Fight Night: Struve vs. Volkov event in Rotterdam in September. In turn, Hacran Dias was removed from the card entirely.
At the weigh-ins, Alexa Grasso came in at 119 lb, three pounds over the strawweight limit of 116 lb. As a result, she was fined 20% of her purse, which went to Randa Markos and their bout proceeded at a catchweight.
This was the last event called by longtime color commentator and former fighter Brian Stann.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Flyweight||Sergio Pettis||def.||Brandon Moreno||Decision (unanimous) (49–46, 48–46, 48–46)||5||5:00|
|Catchweight (119 lb)||Alexa Grasso||def.||Randa Markos||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Niko Price||def||Alan Jouban||TKO (punches)||1||1:44|
|Featherweight||Humberto Bandenay||def||Martín Bravo||KO (knee)||1||0:26|
|Middleweight||Sam Alvey||def.||Rashad Evans||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Alejandro Pérez||def.||Andre Soukhamthath||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Middleweight||Jack Hermansson||def.||Brad Scott||TKO (punches)||1||3:50|
|Flyweight||Dustin Ortiz||def.||Hector Sandoval||KO (punches)||1||0:15|
|Bantamweight||Rani Yahya||def.||Henry Briones||Submission (kimura)||1||2:01|
|Bantamweight||José Alberto Quiñónez||def.||Diego Rivas||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Flyweight||Joseph Morales||def.||Roberto Sanchez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:56|
|Lightweight||Jordan Rinaldi||def.||Álvaro Herrera||Submission (Von Flue choke)||1||2:01|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: None awarded
- Performance of the Night: Niko Price, Humberto Bandenay, Dustin Ortiz, and Joseph Morales
On November 1, USADA announced a finding of no-fault after Moreno failed a drug test. He tested positive for trace amounts of the banned substance clenbuterol in an in-competition test in the early hours of the event. But after an investigation, USADA determined that the positive likely came from contaminated meat, an issue well known to the anti-doping agency.
- Staff (2017-08-06). "UFC Fight Night 114 draws reported 10,172 attendance in Mexico City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- Staff (2017-05-11). "UFC announces return to Mexico City on Aug. 5, likely UFC Fight Night 114". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Juan Cárdenas (2017-05-21). "Pettis vs Moreno headline in Mexico" (in Spanish). ufcespanol.com. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-07-19). "Chris Gruetzemacher out, Humberto Bandenay against Martín Bravo during UFC Mexico City" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-07-20). "Zabit Magomedsharipov won't debut in Mexico, will fight in Rotterdam instead against Nick Hein" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- Mike Bohn (2017-08-04). "Video: Alexa Grasso misses weight for UFC Fight Night 114 co-headliner with Randa Markos". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- "UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Staff (2017-08-06). "UFC Fight Night 114 bonuses: New record holder Dustin Ortiz among 4 fighters to earn $50K". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-11-01). "USADA: UFC's Brandon Moreno accepts no-fault finding after failed drug test". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-11-01.