UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin
|UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 19, 2008|
|Venue||Palms Casino Resort|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin (also known as UFC Fight Night 14) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on July 19, 2008 at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The main event marked Anderson "The Spider" Silva's first foray into the Light Heavyweight division, facing James "The Sandman" Irvin. After the fight, Irvin tested positive for methadone and oxymorphone.
The bout between Anthony Johnson and Kevin Burns ended in controversy. Referee Steve Mazzagatti awarded Burns the victory after Johnson fell to the ground following an eyepoke, despite the fact that Mazzagatti warned Burns several times during the fight about fouls. Johnson appealed the decision to the NSAC, but it was ultimately rejected.
|Main card (Spike TV)|
|Light Heavyweight||Anderson Silva||def.||James Irvin||KO (punches)||1||1:01|
|Light Heavyweight||Brandon Vera||def.||Reese Andy||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Frankie Edgar||def.||Hermes França||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Cain Velasquez||def.||Jake O'Brien||TKO (punches)||1||2:02|
|Welterweight||Kevin Burns||def.||Anthony Johnson||TKO (eye poke)||3||3:35||[a]|
|Middleweight||C.B. Dollaway||def.||Jesse Taylor||Submission (Peruvian necktie)||1||3:58|
|Middleweight||Tim Credeur||def.||Cale Yarbrough||TKO (punches)||1||1:54|
|Middleweight||Nate Loughran||def.||Johnny Rees||Submission (triangle choke)||1||4:21|
|Lightweight||Shannon Gugerty||def.||Dale Hartt||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:33|
|Welterweight||Rory Markham||def.||Brodie Farber||KO (head kick)||1||1:37||[b]|
|Welterweight||Brad Blackburn||def.||James Giboo||TKO (punches)||2||2:29|
- The fight was stopped after Johnson went down following an illegal eye poke by Burns.
- This preliminary bout was aired on the broadcast following the Vera vs Andy bout.
At the end of the night, the UFC awarded $25,000 to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Fight of the Night: Hermes Franca vs. Frankie Edgar
- Knockout of the Night: Rory Markham
- Submission of the Night: CB Dollaway
- "UFC Fight Night 14 Fighters Test Clean For Steroids". MMAFrenzy.com. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "UFC Fight Night 14". MMAJunkie. June 18, 2008. Archived from the original on June 22, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- NSAC: UFC's James Irvin tests positive for methadone and oxymorphone | MMAjunkie.com Archived 2012-07-20 at Archive.today
- "UFC Combats Affliction's PPV Premier". RedSweat. June 18, 2008. Archived from the original on June 20, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Anthony Johnson fails in attempt to have Kevin Burns result overturned". MMAjunkie.com. 2008-09-14. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "UFC FIGHT NIGHT 14 FIGHTER SALARIES AND BONUSES". mmaweekly.com. 2018-07-21. Retrieved 2018-10-02.