UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker
|UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker|
The poster for UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 27, 2020|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Attendance||None (behind closed doors)|
UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker (also known as UFC on ESPN 12 and UFC Vegas 4) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on June 27, 2020 at the UFC APEX facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.
The event was initially scheduled to take place at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UFC president Dana White announced on April 9 that starting with UFC 249, all future events were indefinitely postponed. The event would have marked the promotion's fourth visit to Austin, following UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Medeiros in February 2018. On May 21, the UFC announced the cancellation of the event in Austin.
A lightweight bout between former interim UFC Lightweight Champion Dustin Poirier and Dan Hooker headlined the event. The pairing was previously expected to headline an event on May 16 in San Diego, California. That event was effectively cancelled on April 20, after the California State Athletic Commission extended a moratorium on combat sports events through May 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A women's flyweight bout between Alexa Grasso and Ji Yeon Kim was initially scheduled for this event. However, the bout was rescheduled and will take place on August 29 at UFC Fight Night 178.
A women's flyweight bout between former Invicta FC Flyweight Champion Jennifer Maia and Viviane Araújo was initially scheduled for this event. However, the bout was rescheduled in mid-June after both participants faced travel restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic and will take place on August 1 at UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Aldana.
A women's bantamweight bout between Aspen Ladd and former UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship challenger (also 2004 Olympic silver medalist in wrestling) Sara McMann was scheduled for the event. However, the bout was scrapped after Ladd suffered an injury and was forced to withdraw from the event, tearing both her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) in training.
Ramiz Brahimaj was scheduled to face Takashi Sato at the event. However, Brahimaj was pulled from the fight during the week leading up to the event in an abundance of caution, after one of his cornermen tested positive for COVID-19. Promotional newcomer Jason Witt stepped in as a replacement to face Sato.
|Main card (ESPN)|
|Lightweight||Dustin Poirier||def.||Dan Hooker||Decision (unanimous) (48–47, 48–47, 48–46)||5||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Perry||def.||Mickey Gall||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Maurice Greene||def.||Gian Villante||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||3||3:44|
|Middleweight||Brendan Allen||def.||Kyle Daukaus||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Takashi Sato||def.||Jason Witt||TKO (punches)||1||0:48|
|Catchweight (150 lb)||Julian Erosa||def.||Sean Woodson||Submission (D’Arce choke)||3||2:44|
|Preliminary card (ESPN)|
|Lightweight||Khama Worthy||def.||Luis Peña||Submission (guillotine choke)||3||2:53|
|Heavyweight||Tanner Boser||def.||Philipe Lins||KO (punches)||1||2:41|
|Women’s Strawweight||Kay Hansen||def.||Jinh Yu Frey||Submission (armbar)||3||2:26|
|Featherweight||Youssef Zalal||def.||Jordan Griffin||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker
- Performance of the Night: Julian Erosa and Kay Hansen
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $1,140,000.
- Dustin Poirier: $300,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus) def. Dan Hooker: $110,000
- Mike Perry: $180,000 (includes $90,000 win bonus) def. Mickey Gall: $50,000
- Maurice Greene: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Gian Villante: $75,000
- Brendan Allen: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Kyle Daukaus: $12,000
- Takashi Sato: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Jason Witt: $12,000
- Julian Erosa: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Sean Woodson: $12,000
- Khama Worthy: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Luis Peña: $27,000
- Tanner Boser: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Philipe Lins: $80,000
- Kay Hansen: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Jinh Yu Frey: $14,000
- Youssef Zalal: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Jordan Griffin: $20,000
- Alan Dawson (2020-06-28). "Dustin Poirier's blood and guts victory on Saturday puts him in the Conor McGregor conversation even though the Irishman is 'retired'". businessinsider.in. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- Alexander K. Lee (2020-05-21). "UFC announces cancellation of Saskatoon, Austin events". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-05-21.
- Newswire (2020-03-08). "UFC announces Fight Night card for return to Austin". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-03-11.
- Damon Martin (2020-04-09). "UFC 249, upcoming events postponed due to coronavirus pandemic, Dana White promises 'Fight Island' will proceed". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-04-09.
- Mike Bohn (2020-05-23). "Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker targeted for UFC's June 27 headliner". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Alexander K. Lee (2020-06-12). "UFC on ESPN 12 fight card almost complete for June 27, headlined by Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2020-03-04). "Dustin Poirier vs Dan Hooker targeted to headline UFC Fight Night 175 in San Diego on May 16". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Steven Marrocco (2020-04-20). "UFC officially cancels four events due to coronavirus pandemic". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-04-20.
- Farah Hannoun (2020-03-13). "Alexa Grasso moves up to flyweight, faces Ji Yeon Kim at UFC Austin". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- Staff (2020-06-13). "Ji Yeon Kim and Alexa Grasso re-booked for the August 29 event". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-06-15. (in Dutch)
- Mike Heck (2020-06-16). "Ian Heinisch out; Brendan Allen now expected to face UFC newcomer Kyle Daukaus on June 27". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-06-17.
- Raphael Marinho (2020-02-27). "UFC sets fight between Brazilian flyweight Vivi Araújo and Jennifer Maia in Texas". globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 2020-03-11. (in Portuguese)
- Guilherme Cruz and Damon Martin (2020-06-17). "Travel restrictions move Jennifer Maia vs. Viviane Araujo to Aug. 1 UFC event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Andrew Richardson (2020-06-20). "Midnight Mania! Aspen Ladd suffers major injury, forced out of Sara McMann fight". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-06-20.
- Staff (2020-06-24). "Julian Erosa takes short notice against Sean Woodson next Saturday". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-06-24.
- Danny Segura and Nolan King (2020-06-24). "Miranda Maverick out of UFC on ESPN 12 bout with Mara Romero Borella due to injury". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-25.
- Nolan King (2020-06-26). "Cornerman's positive COVID-19 test forces Ramiz Brahimaj out of UFC on ESPN 12, Jason Witt steps in". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-06-26.
- "UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Hooker". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2020-06-27.
- Dan Hiergesell (2020-06-28). "UFC on ESPN 12 bonuses! Poirier, Hooker cash out in memorable main event". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- Alexander K. Lee (2020-06-29). "UFC on ESPN 12 salaries: Dustin Poirier leads with $300,000 payout". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-06-30.