UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot
|UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot|
A poster or logo for UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 5, 2012|
UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot (also known as UFC on FX 5) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on October 5, 2012, at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was the fifth UFC event broadcast live on FX.
A bout between Rob Broughton and Matt Mitrione, originally scheduled for UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera and then briefly linked to this event, was scrapped after Broughton was forced out of the bout for a second time.
As a result of the cancellation of UFC 151, bouts between Jake Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron, Danny Castillo vs. Michael Johnson, Shane Roller vs. Jacob Volkmann and Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares were rescheduled for this event.
A bout between Dennis Hallman and Thiago Tavares was expected to take place at this event; however, UFC officials cancelled the fight before the fighters stepped on the scale, because Hallman had missed weight significantly. Hallman was reportedly paid his show and win money, but was released from the organization.
Jeremy Stephens and Yves Edwards were scheduled to fight on this card, but the bout was cancelled due to Stephens being arrested on the day of the event for an assault charge that dates back to 2011.
|Main Card (FX)|
|Heavyweight||Antônio Silva||def.||Travis Browne||TKO (punches)||1||3:27|
|Welterweight||Jake Ellenberger||def.||Jay Hieron||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||John Dodson||def.||Jussier Formiga||TKO (punches)||2||4:35||[a]|
|Welterweight||Justin Edwards||def.||Josh Neer||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||1||0:45|
|Preliminary Card (Fuel TV)|
|Lightweight||Michael Johnson||def.||Danny Castillo||KO (punches)||2||1:06|
|Welterweight||Mike Pierce||def.||Aaron Simpson||KO (punches)||2||0:29|
|Lightweight||Marcus LeVesseur||def.||Carlo Prater||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Jacob Volkmann||def.||Shane Roller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:38|
|Featherweight||Diego Nunes||def.||Bart Palaszewski||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Darren Uyenoyama||def.||Phil Harris||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||3:38|
- UFC Flyweight title eliminator.
Fighters were awarded $40,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Diego Nunes vs. Bart Palaszewski
- Knockout of the Night: Michael Johnson
- Submission of the Night: Justin Edwards
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Minnesota Office of Combative Sports. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Antonio Silva: $700,000 (no win bonus) def. Travis Browne: $20
- Jake Ellenberger: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus) def. Jay Hieron: $12,000
- John Dodson: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Jussier Formiga: $9,000
- Justin Edwards: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Josh Neer: $16,000
- Michael Johnson: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Danny Castillo: $25,000
- Mike Pierce: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus) def. Aaron Simpson: $25,000
- Dennis Hallman: $54,000 vs. Thiago Tavares: $26,000^
- Marcus LeVesseur: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Carlo Prater: $10,000
- Jacob Volkmann: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Shane Roller: $25,000
- Diego Nunes: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Bart Palaszewski: $14,000
- Darren Uyenoyama: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Phil Harris: $8,000
^Fight did not take place as Hallman missed weight significantly. Both fighters were paid and Hallman was subsequently released from the organization.
- Staff (2012-10-05). "UFC on FX 5 draws a reported 7,049 attendance for a $358K live gate". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Staff (2012-10-09). "UFC on FX 5 ratings: Main card, prelims fall below average". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Morgan, John; Erickson, Matt (2012-07-27). "Heavyweights Travis Browne-Antonio Silva to Headline UFC on Fx 5 in Minneapolis". USA Today. MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- Staff (2012-05-23). "Indianapolis hosts UFC on FX 5 on Sept. 7". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Staff (2012-08-22). "UFC confirms fights for UFC on FX 5, Uyenoyama vs. Harris now on tap". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Broughton vs. Mitrione Moved To UFC On FX 5". YourMMA.tv. 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- Haber, Scott (2012-08-31). "With Rob Broughton Out, Matt Mitrione Now Faces Philip De Fries At UFC 155". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-08-23). "With UFC 151 scrapped, Ellenberger-Hieron moved to UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Staff (2012-08-23). "Castillo-Johnson, Roller-Volkmann latest shifts from UFC 151 to UFC on FX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-08-23). "Dennis Hallman-Thiago Tavares fight moves from scrapped UFC 151 to UFC on FX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Stupp, Dann; Morgan, John (2012-10-02). "Title shot officially goes to UFC on FX 5's John Dodson-Jussier Formiga winner". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Martin, Damon (2012-10-04). "Dennis Hallman Misses Weight Again; Bout with Thiago Tavares Cancelled for UFC on FX 5". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Morgan, John (2012-10-04). "UFC on FX 5's Dennis Hallman released, paid show money and win bonus (Updated)". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Halvatzis Jr., George (2012-10-05). "Dana White tries to explain bizarre Jeremy Stephens arrest in Minnesota". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Staff (2012-10-05). "UFC on FX 5 bonuses: Johnson, Edwards, Nunes, Palaszewski earn $40K awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Staff (2012-10-15). "UFC on FX 5 salaries: Jake Ellenberger ($84K), Antonio Silva ($70K) top fighter payroll". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.