UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann
|UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann|
A poster or logo for UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 3, 2012|
UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann (also known as UFC on FX 2) was a mixed martial arts event held live by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday March 3, 2012 at the Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia.
UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann was the promotion's 200th event.
The event was the third UFC card to be held in Australia and the second to be televised on FX. Ticket sales for the event were slower than the two previous UFC events held in Australia, UFC 110 and UFC 127. These events led to record ticket-sales, with UFC 110 becoming the second fastest sell-out in UFC history  and UFC 127 equaled the fastest sell-out (30 minutes). UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann was the most successful "Fight Night" event in the company's history in terms of box office.
The event also made history by playing host the first ever flyweight fights in UFC history as part of the semifinals for the Flyweight Tournament, the winner of which would be crowned the inaugural UFC Flyweight Champion. 
A stipulation put in place for the flyweight tournament stated that if any of the tournament fights were to end in a draw, a fourth "sudden death" round would take place. The Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall fight went the distance and the Australian Athletic Commission collected and totaled the judges' score cards. The fight was announced as a majority decision win for Johnson. However, upon reviewing the point totals later in the evening, the athletic commission discovered that they had added up the judges' score cards incorrectly and that the fight should have been declared a majority draw and resulted in a fourth round. The athletic commission informed UFC officials of the error and at the post-fight press conference Dana White announced that both fighters were made aware of the situation, that the Flyweight Tournament fight between Johnson and McCall had been scored incorrectly, and that fight did indeed end in a majority draw. The error was corrected and the majority decision win for Johnson was overturned, but the previously announced fourth round tie breaker could not be fought. Johnson and McCall would be forced to repeat their fight, thus delaying the finish of the first round of the Flyweight Tournament. Johnson and McCall would face each other again three months later at UFC on FX 3.
|Main Card (FX)|
|Welterweight||Martin Kampmann||def.||Thiago Alves||Submission (guillotine choke)||3||4:12|
|Flyweight||Joseph Benavidez||def.||Yasuhiro Urushitani||TKO (punches)||2||0:11||[a]|
|Flyweight||Demetrious Johnson||vs.||Ian McCall||Draw (majority) (29–28, 29–29, 28–28)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Middleweight||Costas Philippou||def.||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fuel TV)|
|Light Heavyweight||James Te-Huna||def.||Aaron Rosa||TKO (punches)||1||2:08|
|Light Heavyweight||Anthony Perosh||def.||Nick Penner||TKO (punches)||1||4:59|
|Featherweight||Steven Siler||def.||Cole Miller||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Andrew Craig||def.||Kyle Noke||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||TJ Waldburger||def.||Jake Hecht||Submission (armbar)||1||0:55|
|Featherweight||Daniel Pineda||def.||Mackens Semerzier||Submission (triangle armbar)||1||2:05|
|Preliminary Card (Facebook)|
|Heavyweight||Shawn Jordan||def.||Oli Thompson||TKO (knees and punches)||2||3:53|
- Flyweight Tournament Semifinal bout
- Flyweight Tournament Semifinal bout
Flyweight Championship bracket
UFC on FX 2 / UFC on FX 3
1 The initial semifinal bout between Johnson and McCall at UFC on FX 2 ended in a draw. Johnson defeated McCall in a rematch at UFC on FX 3.
Fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ian McCall
- Knockout of the Night: Joseph Benavidez
- Submission of the Night: Martin Kampmann
- "UFC on FX 2 sets attendance, live gate record for 'Fight Night' events". MMAJunkie.com. March 3, 2012.
- "UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann". UFC.com. December 16, 2011.
- "SportsBusiness Journal: UFC Sets Company Merchandise Sales Record in Australia". BloodyElbow.com. March 1, 2010.
- "The Flyweights Are Here". UFC.com. December 11, 2011. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Flyweight division makes UFC debut in Australia". usatoday.com. March 2, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Jared Hamman Hurt, Kyle Noke Gets New Opponent for UFC on FX 2". mmaweekly.com. January 19, 2012.
- "Daniel Pineda Repairs UFC on FX 2 Fight Card". mmaweekly.com. February 6, 2012.
- "UFC on FX 2's Johnson-McCall actually a draw, tabulation error leads to rematch". MMAJunkie.com. March 3, 2012.
- "Johnson-McCall rematch slated for UFC on FX 3". MMAJunkie.com. March 20, 2012. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- "UFC on FX 2 bonuses: Benavidez, Kampmann, Johnson, McCall $50K awards". MMAjunkie.com. March 3, 2012.