UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens
|UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens|
The poster for UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||February 24, 2018|
UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens (also known as UFC on Fox 28) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on February 24, 2018, at Amway Center in Orlando, Florida, United States.
Jéssica Andrade and Karolina Kowalkiewicz were expected to face in each other in a bout of former UFC Women's Strawweight Championship challengers. However, on December 27, it was announced that Tecia Torres would be Andrade's opponent instead.
Current Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion Yana Kunitskaya was expected to face 2004 Olympic silver medalist in wrestling and former UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship challenger Sara McMann at the event. However, on January 10, it was announced that McMann would face Marion Reneau instead, after Reneau's original opponent former Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion and UFC Women's Featherweight Championship challenger Tonya Evinger pulled out of their scheduled bout a week earlier at UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Medeiros.
Former middleweight interim title challenger (as well as 2000 Olympic silver medalist and former world champion in freestyle wrestling) Yoel Romero was expected to face former WSOF Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Champion David Branch at the event. However, on January 13, it was announced that current UFC Middleweight Champion Robert Whittaker pulled out of his title defense against former Strikeforce and UFC Middleweight Champion Luke Rockhold at UFC 221 due to injury and was replaced by Romero. Due to that change, Branch was rescheduled for a future event.
Ilir Latifi was expected to face former interim UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challenger Ovince Saint Preux at UFC on Fox: Jacaré vs. Brunson 2. However, on January 16, Latifi pulled out due to injury and the bout was scrapped. The pairing was then rescheduled for this event.
On February 21, it was announced that a lightweight bout between Gilbert Burns and Olivier Aubin-Mercier was pulled from the event after the medical team deemed unsafe for Burns to cut the necessary weight for the 156-pound limit.
At the weigh-ins, Alex Perez weighed in at 126.5 pounds, a half pound over the flyweight non-title fight upper limit of 126 pounds. As a result, the bout proceeded at catchweight and Perez was fined 20% of his purse which went to his opponent Eric Shelton.
|Main Card (Fox)|
|Featherweight||Jeremy Stephens||def.||Josh Emmett||KO (punches and elbows)||2||1:35|
|Women's Strawweight||Jéssica Andrade||def.||Tecia Torres||Decision (unanimous) (29-27, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Ilir Latifi||def.||Ovince Saint Preux||Technical Submission (standing guillotine choke)||1||3:48|
|Welterweight||Max Griffin||def.||Mike Perry||Decision (unanimous) (29-27, 29-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox)|
|Bantamweight||Brian Kelleher||def.||Renan Barão||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Marion Reneau||def.||Sara McMann||Submission (triangle choke)||2||3:40|
|Women's Strawweight||Angela Hill||def.||Maryna Moroz||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Alan Jouban||def.||Ben Saunders||KO (punch)||2||2:38|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Light Heavyweight||Sam Alvey||def.||Marcin Prachnio||KO (punch)||1||4:23|
|Bantamweight||Rani Yahya||def.||Russell Doane||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||3||2:32|
|Catchweight (126.5 lbs)||Alex Perez||def.||Eric Shelton||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Manny Bermudez||def.||Albert Morales||Submission (guillotine choke)||2||2:33|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Alan Jouban vs. Ben Saunders
- Performance of the Night: Jeremy Stephens and Illir Latifi
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Florida State Boxing Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $1,173,000.
- Jeremy Stephens: $126,000 (includes $63,000 win bonus) def. Josh Emmett: $45,000
- Jéssica Andrade: $96,000 (includes $48,000 win bonus) def. Tecia Torres: $36,000
- Ilir Latifi: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Ovince Saint Preux: $86,000
- Max Griffin: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Mike Perry: $40,000
- Brian Kelleher: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Renan Barão: $53,000
- Marion Reneau: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus) def. Sara McMann: $38,000
- Angela Hill: $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. Maryna Moroz: $23,000
- Alan Jouban: $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Ben Saunders: $23,000
- Sam Alvey: $92,000 (includes $46,000 win bonus) def. Marcin Prachnio: $25,000
- Rani Yahya: $92,000 (includes $46,000 win bonus) def. Russell Doane: $22,000
- Alex Perez: $21,600 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Eric Shelton: $14,400 ^
- Manny Bermudez: $20,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Albert Morales: $15,000
^ Perez was fined $2,400, 20 percent of his purse for failing to make the required weight for his fight with Eric Shelton.
- Matt Erickson (2018-02-25). "UFC on FOX 28 draws reported 10,124 attendance for $1.064 million live gate in Orlando". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- Staff (2017-11-05). "UFC announces Q1 event schedule". ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Jay Reddick (2017-11-04). "UFC returns to Orlando Feb. 24 for Fight Night". orlandosentinal.com. Retrieved 2017-11-04.
- Jay Reddick (2018-01-18). "UFC Orlando main event set: Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens". orlandosentinel.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- Lucas Rezende (2017-12-01). "Report: Jessica Andrade meets Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC on FOX 28". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Marc Raimondi (2017-12-27). "Tecia Torres vs. Jessica Andrade booked for UFC on FOX 28". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-01-04). "Jake Collier out of UFC Orlando, replacement sought for Marcin Prachnio". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- Jay Reddick (2018-01-09). "Lake Mary's Mike Perry, others join UFC's Amway Center card". orlandosentinal.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Mike Bohn (2018-01-04). "Invicta FC champ Yana Kunitskaya says she's fighting Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Steven Marrocco (2018-01-10). "Marion Reneau vs. Sara McMann headed to UFC on FOX 28 in Orlando". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- Alexander K. Lee (2018-01-13). "Robert Whittaker out of UFC 221 with injury, Luke Rockhold to fight Yoel Romero for interim title". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- Staff (2018-01-16). "Ovince Saint Preux: Ilir Latifi injured, UFC on FOX 27 co-headliner scrapped". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- Staff (2018-01-18). "Ovince Saint Preux vs. Ilir Latifi rebooked for UFC on FOX 28 in Orlando". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-02-07). "Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Aleksandar Rakic deleted for UFC Orlando" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-02-21). "Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier scratched from UFC on FOX 28". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- Staff (2018-02-23). "UFC on FOX 28 official weigh-in results: Emmett, Stephens hit marks; Perez heavy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- Matt Erickson (2018-02-25). "UFC on FOX 28 bonuses: Jeremy Stephens' violent KO gets him $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- Jordan Breen (2018-03-02). "UFC on Fox 28 salaries: Jeremy Stephens leads all earners with $126K payday". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-03-02.