UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera
|UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera|
The poster for UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 4, 2012|
|City||Los Angeles, California|
On July 25, 2012, heavyweight Ben Rothwell pulled out of his fight against Travis Browne due to an injured ankle. This led to Browne being removed from the card, while Mike Swick vs DaMarques Johnson was bumped up to the main card.
On July 30, 2012, UFC president Dana White confirmed that the winner of the main event will receive a Light Heavyweight title shot, regardless of how impressive either Ryan Bader or Lyoto Machida were in the co-main event of the evening. However, on July 31, 2012, White said whichever fighter puts forth the best performance on Saturday night will receive the shot at the winner of Jon Jones' September 1 title defense against former two-time PRIDE Fighting Championships champion Dan Henderson at UFC 151.
|Main card (Fox)|
|Light Heavyweight||Maurício Rua||def.||Brandon Vera||TKO (punches)||4||4:09|
|Light Heavyweight||Lyoto Machida||def.||Ryan Bader||KO (punch)||2||1:32|
|Lightweight||Joe Lauzon||def.||Jamie Varner||Submission (triangle choke)||3||2:44|
|Welterweight||Mike Swick||def.||DaMarques Johnson||KO (punches)||2||1:20|
|Preliminary card (Fuel TV)|
|Featherweight||Nam Phan||def.||Cole Miller||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Wagner Prado||vs.||Phil Davis||No Contest||1||1:28||[a]|
|Featherweight||Rani Yahya||def.||Josh Grispi||Submission (north-south choke)||1||3:15|
|Heavyweight||Phil De Fries||def.||Oli Thompson||Submission (face crank)||2||4:16|
|Featherweight||Manvel Gamburyan||def.||Michihiro Omigawa||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||John Moraga||def.||Ulysses Gomez||KO (elbows and punches)||1||3:46|
- An accidental eye poke left Prado unable to continue.
Fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Joe Lauzon vs. Jamie Varner
- Knockout of the Night: Mike Swick
- Submission of the Night: Joe Lauzon
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Maurício Rua: $240,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Vera: $70,000
- Lyoto Machida: $200,000 (no win bonus) def. Ryan Bader: $47,000
- Joe Lauzon: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def. Jamie Varner: $12,000
- Mike Swick: $86,000 (includes $43,000 win bonus) def. DaMarques Johnson: $18,000
- Nam Phan: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Cole Miller: $21,000
- Phil Davis: $30,000 vs. Wagner Prado: $16,000
- Rani Yahya: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Josh Grispi: $15,000
- Phil De Fries: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Oli Thompson: $11,000
- Manvel Gamburyan: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Michihiro Omigawa: $11,000
- John Moraga: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Ulysses Gomez: $8,000
- "Live Gate & Attendance". mmapayout.com.
- Myers, Thomas (February 7, 2012). "UFC on FOX 4 set for Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 4". MMAmania.com. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- "Phil Davis vs. Chad Griggs added to August's UFC on FOX 4 event". MMAjunkie.com. May 14, 2012. Archived from the original on June 16, 2012.
- "Phil Davis now meets undefeated newcomer Wagner Prado at UFC on FOX 4". MMAjunkie.com. May 30, 2012. Archived from the original on June 4, 2012.
- "Hector Lombard vs. Brian Stann targeted for UFC on FOX 4 in Los Angeles". MMAjunkie.com. April 29, 2012. Archived from the original on May 1, 2012.
- Helwani, Ariel (June 6, 2012). "Brian Stann Out of UFC on FOX 4 Main Event". MMAFighting.com.
- "With Stann injured UFC on Fox get new main event". Ultimate Fighting Championship. June 8, 2012.
- "Rob Broughton vs. Matt Mitrione scratched from UFC on FOX 4". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 25 July 2012. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Ben Rothwell Out of UFC on FOX 4". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Travis Browne Off UFC on FOX 4; Swick vs. Johnson Bumped to Main Card". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Martin, Damon (2012-07-30). "Dana White: Winner of Shogun vs. Vera Gets Next Title Shot". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- Whitman, Mike (2012-07-31). "LYOTO MACHIDA, RYAN BADER ADDED TO LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE HUNT AT UFC ON FOX 4". Sherdog. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Whitman, Mike (2012-08-04). "UFC on Fox 4 Bonuses: Joe Lauzon Banks $100,000; Mike Swick, Jamie Varner Pocket $50,000 Each". Sherdog. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "UFC on FOX 4 salaries: Rua, Machida top event's $963,000 payroll". MMAjunkie.com. August 9, 2012.