UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz
|UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz|
A poster or logo for UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 8, 2012|
UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz (also known as UFC on Fox 5) is a mixed martial arts event that was held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on December 8, 2012, at KeyArena in Seattle, Washington. It was broadcast live on Fox Sports.
Rafaello Oliveira was expected to face Michael Chiesa at the event. However, Oliveira was forced out of the bout with a broken hand, and replaced by Marcus LeVesseur. Then, the week of the event, Chiesa was forced out of the bout with LeVesseur with an undisclosed illness and the bout was scrapped altogether. Also, on the day of the weigh-ins for the event, Tim Means was forced from his bout with Abel Trujillo after sustaining a head injury caused by a fall in a hotel sauna. LeVesseur replaced Means in the bout.
T.J. Dillashaw was scheduled to fight Mike Easton in the preliminary card. However, an injury sidelined Dillashaw, who was forced out of the bout and replaced by Bryan Caraway. Then, on November 21, it was announced that Caraway was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Raphael Assunção.
Eddie Yagin was expected to face Dennis Siver at this event. However, Yagin was forced out of the bout due to a sparring injury that landed him in the hospital with swelling around his brain, and was replaced by Nam Phan.
At the weigh-ins, Henry Martinez came in heavy weighing in at 158.8 lb. Martinez was given two hours to cut to the lightweight maximum of 156 pounds, but he elected instead to surrender a percentage of his fight purse to his opponent Daron Cruickshank.
At the pre-weigh-in press conference, UFC, as part of merging Strikeforce champions into the UFC, officially named Strikeforce champion Ronda Rousey the women's bantamweight champion and presented her with a belt.
|Main Card (Fox)|
|Lightweight||Benson Henderson (c)||def.||Nate Diaz||Decision (unanimous) (50–45, 50–45, 50–43)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Light Heavyweight||Alexander Gustafsson||def.||Mauricio Rua||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Rory MacDonald||def.||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Matt Brown||def.||Mike Swick||KO (punches)||2||2:31|
|Preliminary Card (FX)|
|Lightweight||Yves Edwards||def.||Jeremy Stephens||KO (punches and elbows)||1||1:55|
|Bantamweight||Raphael Assunção||def.||Mike Easton||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Ramsey Nijem||def.||Joe Proctor||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (158.8 lbs.)||Daron Cruickshank||def.||Henry Martinez||KO (head kick)||2||2:57|
|Lightweight||Abel Trujillo||def.||Marcus LeVesseur||TKO (knees to the body)||2||3:56|
|Featherweight||Dennis Siver||def.||Nam Phan||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–25, 30–24)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Facebook)|
|Bantamweight||Scott Jorgensen||def.||John Albert||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:59|
- For the UFC Lightweight Championship.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Scott Jorgensen vs. John Albert
- Knockout of the Night: Yves Edwards
- Submission of the Night: Scott Jorgensen
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Washington State Department of Licensing. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Benson Henderson: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz: $50,000
- Alexander Gustafsson: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Mauricio Rua: $175,000
- Rory MacDonald: $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn: $150,000
- Matt Brown: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus) def. Mike Swick: $48,000
- Yves Edwards: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Jeremy Stephens: $24,000
- Raphael Assuncao: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus) def. Mike Easton: $25,000
- Ramsey Nijem: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Joe Proctor: $8,000
- Daron Cruickshank: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Henry Martinez: $8,000 ^
- Abel Trujillo: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Marcus LeVesseur: $8,000
- Dennis Siver: $62,000 (includes $31,000 win bonus) def. Nam Phan: $10,000
- Scott Jorgensen: $41,000 (includes $20,500 win bonus) def. John Albert: $10,000
^ Henry Martinez was reportedly fined 20 percent of his purse for failing to make the required weight for his fight. The Washington State Department of Licensing's initial report did not include information on the penalty.
- Staff (2012-12-12). "UFC on FOX 5 officially draws 14,387 attendance and $1.5 million live gate". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Staff (2012-08-21). "'UFC on FOX 5: Henderson vs. Diaz' to take place Dec. 8 at Seattle's KeyArena". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Staff (2012-08-27). "Means-Trujillo, Cruickshank-Martinez moved from scrapped UFC 151 to UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- Alexander, Mookie (2012-08-30). "Dennis Siver Vs. Eddie Yagin Moved To UFC On FOX 5, All UFC 151 Fights Now Rescheduled". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Staff (2012-10-24). "Replacement Marcus LeVesseur meets Michael Chiesa at UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- Staff (2012-12-03). "Michael Chiesa ill, scratches from Saturday's UFC on FOX 5 event". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Brand, Jeremy (2012-12-07). "Tim Means out, Marcus LeVesseur in at UFC on FOX 5 against Abel Trujillo". MMAsucka.com. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Staff (2012-10-30). "Bryan Caraway in for injured T.J. Dillashaw, faces Mike Easton at UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Staff (2012-11-21). "Raphael Assuncao replaces Bryan Caraway, faces Mike Easton at UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Staff (2012-11-14). "Nam Phan replaces Eddie Yagin, meets Dennis Siver at UFC on FOX 5 in December". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- Staff (2012-11-24). "Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens rebooked for UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Staff (2012-11-30). "Pulled groin forces Lavar Johnson out of UFC on FOX 5 bout with Brendan Schaub". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- Staff (2012-12-07). "UFC on Fox 5 weigh-in results". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Staff (2012-12-08). "UFC on Fox 5 bonuses: Jorgensen nets $130,000, Edwards, Albert get $65,000 each". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- Staff (2012-12-12). "UFC on FOX 5 salaries: Rua, Penn and Henderson earn top purses". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-12.