UFO sightings in Canada
- 1 1960, Clan Lake, Northwest Territories
- 2 1967, Falcon Lake, Manitoba incident
- 3 1967, Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia incident
- 4 1969, Prince George, B.C. UFO
- 5 1975-1976, Southern Manitoba
- 6 1978, Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador
- 7 1986, Munros Point, Nova Scotia Sighting
- 8 1989, Marieville, Quebec
- 9 1990, Montreal aerial phenomenon
- 10 2006, Ajax, Ontario
- 11 2010, Harbour Mille incident
- 12 2014, Kensington, PEI Sighting
- 13 2014, Multiple reports of UFO sightings over Toronto, Ontario
- 14 Canadian UFO survey results
- 15 See also
- 16 References
- 17 External links
1960, Clan Lake, Northwest Territories
On June 18, 1960, a prospector told the Yellowknife RCMP detachment that a month earlier, he and his partner saw a UFO at Clan Lake, located 30 miles north of Yellowknife. According to UFOlogist Chris Rutkowski, the men claimed they saw a hovering object 4 to 6 feet wide that hit the surface of the lake. The RCMP investigated, but found nothing.
1967, Falcon Lake, Manitoba incident
Stefan Michalak claimed he was burned by one of two flying saucers with which he reportedly came into contact on May 19, 1967 near Falcon Lake (Manitoba). Ufologists claim that images of Michalak in the hospital show a grid of burn marks on his chest, and a similar grid appears burned into his t-shirt. Ufologists consider it to be one of the most documented UFO stories in Canada.
Two books have been written on the alleged Falcon Lake occurrence:
- (2017). Stan Michalak, Chris Rutkowski. When They Appeared Falcon Lake 1967: The inside story of a close encounter. ISBN 9781772800951
- (2015). George Dudding. The Falcon Lake UFO Encounter. ISBN 978-1514246825
Skeptic Dr. Aaron Sakulich reviewed the report made by Michalak to police shortly after the incident, along with other evidence, and concluded that Michalak was indeed burned but that the burns were in fact likely caused by an accident brought on by alcohol consumption, and that Michalak, who was prospecting for silver ore near the lake at the time, probably made the story up to keep other prospectors out of the area.
In April 2018, the Royal Canadian Mint released a $20 silver coin depicting the alleged event as part of its Canada's Unexplained Phenomena series, stating "According to Stefan Michalak’s account, two glowing objects descended from the sky on May 20, 1967, near Falcon Lake, Manitoba, where one landed close enough for him to approach. When the craft suddenly took flight, its emission set Michalak’s clothes ablaze, leaving him with mysterious burns… and an unusual tale to tell."
1967, Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia incident
The incident was the purported crash of an Unidentified Flying Object in Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia in October 1967.
1969, Prince George, B.C. UFO
In Prince George, British Columbia, three unrelated witnesses reported a strange, round object in the late afternoon sky on January 1, 1969. The sphere radiated a yellow-orange light and appeared to ascend from 2,000 to 10,000 feet.
1975-1976, Southern Manitoba
1978, Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador
In October 1978, Constable Jim Blackwood of the RCMP witnessed a sighting of a flying saucer hovering over the harbour near the town of Clarenville and Random Island. This was reported to him by local citizens. When he arrived at the scene the UFO was still present and quite visible. He had a special high powered viewing scope which happened to be on loan at the time for other surveillance. The craft stayed in the area for approximately an hour and a half. When he switched on the roof lights of his police cruiser the craft appeared to mimic the flashing lights. This made headline news at the time and was broadcast on CBC television and NTV broadcasting in Newfoundland. The craft took off like a shooting star high in the sky and disappeared. Two years after the incident the BBC did a documentary on UFO sightings and included the Clarenville sighting in their broadcast. In later years Cst Blackwood retired to his native home in Stellarton, Nova Scotia.
1986, Munros Point, Nova Scotia Sighting
In the early evening of January 20, 1986 a couple travelling by car on a rural road in Cape Breton, NS witnessed a bright light appear and hover directly over their car. Almost immediately their vehicle lost power. After watching the blinding light for less than a minute, they watched it quickly accelerate away from them, lighting up the ground below the object as it departed.
1989, Marieville, Quebec
On November 20 at 5.30 p.m., in Sainte-Marie-de-Monnoir (a rural neighbourhood of Marieville) several people heard a noise similar to an electric generator and saw some strange lights in the sky. Two days after the phenomenon a perfect round circle was found outside the residence of Mr Jean Prigent, one of the witnesses of the sighting.
1990, Montreal aerial phenomenon
On November 7, 1990, in Montreal, Quebec, witnesses reported a round, metallic object of about 540 metres wide over the rooftop pool of the Bonaventure Hotel. Eyewitnesses saw 8 to 10 lights forming into a circle above them, emitting bright white rays. The phenomenon lasted three hours, from 7 to 10 p.m., and moved slowly northwards. While none could identify the lights, a few witnesses, according to the next day’s report in La Presse, were ready to express their belief that they were visited by aliens.
2006, Ajax, Ontario
2010, Harbour Mille incident
During the night of January 25, 2010 there were multiple UFO sighting reports in Harbour Mille, Newfoundland and Labrador. Royal Canadian Mounted Police initially stated the reports were due to a missile launch, but later retracted the statement, and the Office of the Prime Minister stated that the UFOS were not missiles. Another minor report of this incident came from Calgary where boys playing hockey reported seeing similar objects, about which they stated "We thought they were Transformers"
2014, Kensington, PEI Sighting
While putting out a bonfire late in the evening of June 4, 2014, John Sheppard witnessed unusual lights in the sky over the Gulf of St. Lawrence and captured 22 minutes of it on his cellphone. After reporting the incident to MUFON and their investigation concluding it being a confirmed sighting, CBC covered the event. The next day, CBC released a follow-up article in which a series of alternate explanations for the event were presented.
2014, Multiple reports of UFO sightings over Toronto, Ontario
Canadian UFO survey results
According to the 2002 Canadian UFO Survey published by Ufology Research of Manitoba, Toronto had the largest number of sightings with 34, followed by Vancouver with 31 and Terrace, B.C. with 25 reports. In 2002, a typical UFO sighting lasted approximately 15 minutes.
On July 15, 2018, a Canadian news site mentioned a new study conducted by Ufology Research, formerly known as Ufology Research of Manitoba, stating there have been more than 1,000 UFO sightings reported in Canada in 2017.
- Edwards, Tim. "'Something came in over the trees' 50 year-old UFO mystery remains unsolved near Yellowknife". NNSL. Northern News Services. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "The Falcon Lake event: Canada's most famous UFO encounter". CBC Archive. CBC-Radio Canada. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Sakulich, Aaron. "Stefan Michalak's Ridiculous Story". The Iron Skeptic. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "1 oz. Pure Silver Glow-in-the-Dark Coin - Canada's Unexplained Phenomena: The Falcon Lake Incident - Mintage: 4,000 (2018)". Royal Canadian Mint. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "Royal Canadian Mint Releases Coin Depicting Manitoba Man's Ufo Encounter". thestar.com. The Toronto Star. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- Canada's Unidentified Flying Objects: The Search for the Unknown at Library and Archives Canada
- Rutkowski, Chris; Dittman, Geoff (2006). The Canadian UFO Report: The Best Cases Revealed. The Dundurn Group. pp. 333 pg. ISBN 1-55002-621-6.
- Chris A. Rutkowski, Geoff Dittman, The Canadian UFO Report: The Best Cases Revealed, Durdun Press, 2006
- "Montreal Mirror: "Montreal X-Files."". Archived from the original on 2008-01-01. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "CBC Archives".
- "Ajax, Ontario, Canada Photograph Shows Unknown Flying Object (www.ufocasebook.com)". Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- "No evidence UFO was rocket: PMO". CBC.ca. 2010-01-28. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- "'This is a really serious sighting': National UFO group confirms P.E.I. sighting".
- "A drone? A plane? P.E.I.'s UFO sighting disputed".
- "Speculations About a UFO Lights Seen Over Toronto". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Ufology Research of Manitoba". Archived from the original on 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "Bio: Chris Rutkowski (Ufology Research of Manitoba)". Archived from the original on 2007-10-18. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- The Latest UFO Sightings in Canada (latest-ufos.com)
- The Latest UFO Sightings (ufosightings.ca)
- MUFON - Last 20 Sightings Reports
- Alberta UFO Research Group (AUFORG)
- Alberta UFO Study Group (AUFOSG)
- Association Québécoise d'Ufologie (AQU)
- Canadian Crop Circle Research Network
- Canadian UFO Report - The Canadian UFO Survey
- Canada's Unidentified Flying Objects: The Search for the Unknown, a virtual museum exhibition at Library and Archives Canada
- Canadian X-Files - Comprehensive UFO Research Site, Joe Daniels - Extensive amount of government documents at this site.
- HBCC Research - HBCCUFO - British Columbia
- ORBWATCH, Info. (including photos & videos) of UFO skywatches along Hamilton & the western-end of Lake Ontario.
- MUFON - Last 20 UFO Sightings and Pictures
- Pararesearchers Ontario Pararesearchers Ontario- UFO Sightings
- Saskatchewan Provincial Paranormal Research Centre Inc. - Paynton, Saskatchewan
- UFO B.C. - UFO B.C., Delta, British Columbia
- UFO Ontario - THE MUTUAL UFO NETWORK OF ONTARIO
- UFOLOGY Research of Manitoba (UFOROM)
- UFO Phenomena North - Northwest Territories
- UFO Roundup Articles Canada
- UFO Yukon - UFO Yukon Research Society
- VSN: Virtually Strange Network
- Wilbert Smith (www.presidentialufo.com) - Wilbert Smith, Canada's UFO Pioneer
- A growing collection of UFO photos shot in Greater Vancouver, Canada. Pictures of Black Triangles, a silver disc UFO, photos of metallic and black UFOs, V-shaped craft (Boomerang UFOs), a glass-domed UFO, a series of images of shape-shifting UFOs, etc.
- Quebec UFO Research - Finding the truth about the UFO phenomenon