UFO sightings in India
This is a list of alleged sightings of UFOs in India.
- Pre-historic rock paintings found at Charama, Kanker Chhattisgarh state depict human figures wearing suits similar to modern day space suits and drawings similar to flying saucers, each with a fan-like antenna and three legs.
- On 15 March, 10:20 a.m. in New Chennai, 25 members of a flying club saw a cigar-shaped object in the sky which was about one hundred feet long. The UFO hovered and then vanished from the sight.
- On October 29, a fast moving object was spotted at 30° in the eastern horizon at Eastern Kolkata between 3:30 and 6:30 am and was filmed using a handycam. Its shape shifted from a sphere to a triangle and then to a straight line. The object emitted a bright light forming a halo and radiated a range of colours. It was spotted by many people and hundreds gathered along the E.M. Bypass to catch a glimpse of the UFO, triggering a frenzy.
The video footage was released on a TV News channel and later shown to Dr. D P Duari, the director of MP Birla Planetarium, Kolkata, who found it to be "extremely interesting and strange". Dr Duari later identified the object as be the planet Venus.
- Residents of Mogappiar, Chennai observed five specks of bright orange light moving from south to north around 8.55 pm on 20 June and was later reported on the local newspaper on 23 June.
- On 4 August, soldiers of Indian Army observed unidentified flying objects over Lagan Kher Area, Demchock, Ladakh. It was also reported that army troops had observed more than a hundred different incidents of UFO movements in the border areas of Arunachal Pradesh in the preceding seven months.
- A series of pictures of the sunset over the Rajajipuram area of Lucknow on 23 July claimed to show an UFO.
- A commercial pilot reportedly informed Mumbai Air Traffic Control room that she spotted a black and blueish
- A photograph published by the news media claimed to show a "nail shaped" UFO over Kochi in the southern Indian state of Kerala on 29 October.
- A schoolboy claimed to have captured photographs of a UFO from his house rooftop in Shyam Nagar, a suburb of Kanpur, on 25 June, though the photos were most likely created with a photo editing smartphone application.
- In Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, a local resident claimed to have taken a photo of a large UFO. However, experts say that a rash of similar photos from other parts of the world depicting the appearance of a UFO similar to the one in the movie Independence Day were most likely "created using digital editing software or even a mobile phone app, as some on the market allow UFOs to be blended into pictures".
- Drolia, Rashmi (15 July 2014). "10,000-year-old rock paintings depicting aliens and UFOs found in Chhattisgarh". Times of India. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Top Shelf Witnesses, Kolkata , India".
- "UFO puzzle has city in a tizzy"
- "Did a UFO come over Kolkata?"
- "Kolkata in a tizzy over UFO sighting"
- "'UFO' sighted in Chennai?". The Hindu. 23 June 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Army troops sight UFO in Ladakh again". The Hindu. 19 August 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Is that a UFO flying over Lucknow?". India Today. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Avasthi, Yogesh (4 October 2014). "It's a UFO!". Pune Mirror. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Is this an UFO in the sky above Kochi?". India Today. 30 October 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Austin, Don. "Biggest, best ever UFO photograph? Witnesses snap 'Independence Day-like mothership'". The Express. Daily Express. Retrieved 30 November 2015.