UGL Rail is an Australian rail company specialising in building, maintaining and refurbishing diesel locomotives, diesel & electric multiple units and freight wagons. It is a subsidiary of UGL Limited and is based in Melbourne, with a staff of 1,200 across Australia and Asia. It operates factories in Broadmeadow, Chullora, Spotswood and Bassendean. While it used to operate a factory in Taree, the plant has currently shut down and the equipment sold off.
Founded in Australia in 1899 by Cornish brothers Alfred and Ralph Goninan as an engineering and manufacturing company for the coal industry. A Goninan & Co Limited was incorporated as a public company in 1905.
It entered the rail business in 1917 via Commonwealth Steel Products Company of Waratah, Newcastle, a wheel and axle manufacturer because they could no longer be imported from Belgium due to World War I. A Goninan & Co moved to more convenient freehold land at Broadmeadow in 1919 and built a flourishing business in general engineering. They made pitheads, boilers, wagons and a huge, cast 41-ton block for the district's coal trade. In October 1964 A Goninan & Co was purchased by Howard Smith.
While most items were manufactured at Broadmeadows, it did purchase Comeng's Bassendean, Western Australia plant. This plant rebuilt many Pilbara Alco locomotives with General Electric components in the 1990s as well as building 17 Westrail P class and 60 NR class locomotives.
- 14 Australian National EL class diesel locomotives
- 120 National Rail NR class diesel locomotives
- 128 C44aci diesel locomotives
- 3 UGL Rail PH37ACmai diesel locomotives
New South Wales
- 6 New South Wales 43 class diesel locomotives
- 20 New South Wales 47 class diesel locomotives
- 5 stainess steel power vans
- 150 S set EMU carriages
- 160 K set EMU carriages
- 56 C set EMU carriages
- 455 Tangara EMU carriages
- 196 Oscar EMU carriages
- 14 Hunter Railcar DMU carriages
- 12 QR National 5000 class diesel locomotives
- 19 QR National 5020 class diesel locomotives
- 3 Queensland Railways 1150 class diesel locomotives
- 13 Queensland Rail 2600 class diesel locomotives
- 50 Queensland Rail 2800 class diesel locomotives
- 20 Western Australia ADL/ADC class DMU carriages
- 17 Westrail P class diesel locomotives
- 9 Prospector/Avonlink DMU carriages
- Refurbishment of 762 MTR Metro Cammell M-stock carriages for MTR
- Hong Kong Light Rail 20 Phase 3 LRV
- UGL and CSR Corporation Limited Hong Kong Light Rail 22 Phase 4 LRV (Design)
UGL Rail has been responsible for the maintenance of all of CityRail's EMU fleet at Maintrain, Auburn since March 1994 following the closure of Electric Carriage Workshops and Eveleigh Carriage Workshops. In the early 1990s A Goninan & Co refurbished S and V sets at Broadmeadow as part of the Citydecker program.
Metro Trains Melbourne
- Goninan, Alfred (1865 - 1953) Australian Dictionary of Biography
- "United Group Buys Goninan from Howard Smith" Railway Digest October 1999 page 12
- United to acquire rail business Alstom Sydney Morning Herald 2 June 2005
- Clark, Peter (2012). An Australian Locomotive Guide. Rosenberg Publishing. p. 24. ISBN 9781921719554.
- "Goninan's Maintrain Centre Officially Opened" Railway Digest May 1994 page 9
- Melbourne's trains to get Metro brand Railway Gazette International 3 September 2009