|Also known as||Elektronika MS-0511|
|Type||Study and research computer|
|Operating system||RAFOS, FODOS, RT-11|
|CPU||2 × KM1801VM2|
|Memory||RAM 192 KB, ROM 32 KB|
|Storage||floppy disk 5¼"|
UKNC (Russian: УКНЦ) was a Soviet PDP-11-compatible educational computer, aimed at teaching school informatics courses. It is also known as Elektronika MS-0511. UKNC stands for Educational Computer by Scientific Centre.
- CPU: KM1801VM2 @ 8 MHz, 16 bit data bus, 17 bit address bus
- Peripheral processor: KM1801VM2 @ 6.25 MHz
- CPU RAM: 64 KB
- PPU RAM: 32 KB, ROM: 32 KB, video RAM: 96 KB (3 planes 32KB each, each 3-bit pixel had a bit in each plane)
- Graphics: max 640×288 with 8 colors in one line (16 or 53 colors on whole screen), it is possible to set an individual palette, resolution (80, 160, 320, or 640 dots per line) and memory address for each of 288 screen lines; no text mode.
- Keyboard: 88 keys (MS-7007), JCUKEN layout
- built-in LAN controller
- built-in controller for common or special tape-recorder with computer control (to use for data storage, usually 5-inch FDD's were used)
One unique part of the design is the usage of a peripheral processing unit (PPU). PPU unloaded the CPU, taking responsibility for the management of peripheral devices (display, audio, and so on), but could run any user programs, as well as CPU.
The computer was released in 3 sub-models: 0511, 0511.1, 0511.2. The 0511.1 model, intended for home use, had a power supply for 220 V AC, while others used 42 V AC. The 0511.2 featured new firmware with extended functionality and changed the marking of the keyboard's gray keys, compared to the initial version. The photo shows an 0511.2 variant.
There was no active cooling, and at least the 0511.2 variant tended to overheat and halt after several hours of operation.
The case and keyboard (with changed markings) were re-used to produce an IBM PC clone called Elektronika MS-1502, though it less well-known than the once famous Poisk computer. The same case and keyboard were later used to produce yet another educational computer called Rusich (i8085 based).
- Operating system: RAFOS, FODOS (RT-11 clones), or RT-11SJ/FB
- LAN control program
- Programming languages:
- UKNC emulator project; contains RT-11 images
- Archive software and documentation for Soviet computers UK-NC, DVK, and BK0010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to UKNC.|
|This microcomputer- or microprocessor-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|